Lets talk about Server 2

Let’s talk. 

After a 2 year break from asylum I came back to find to my surprise there is now only one main server. At first I didn’t like the idea until I got on the server and saw how great it ran, and more importantly the population. 

The server was nearly always full. More people to rob, more cops to kill, and all and out a great gaming experience. But shortly after (a week or two) that same experience became a somewhat aggravating. The server was always full... 

The only good time to get on was very early in the morning. And there will still be 80+ people on. At this very moment  of me drafting this it is 8:24am in Florida with 81 people on. Give it 2 hours and the server will be full at 11:00am. Getting into the server after 12:00pm has become a depressing game of spam join server. 

I understand the thought of another server is just more on your already full plate, but what would it take? Higher monthly goals? Subscriptions for higher prices that personally I would pay and many of people that I’ve talked to as well. But I understand that there is more to it. And possibly more than I will understand. But I must ask for me and the many other is there anything being done moving forward. Second server? More player slots?

Boonie Hat and Elijah like this

Hello,

To start I totally agree, a second server would be great. The more players we have the better it would be. A second server does solve quite a few issues that we are currently facing. The community has proved that they could cover the extra cost of it if needed. But Asylum has always been back and fourth on a second server. We tried the approach where it was only open during X hours etc. That proved to be just as problematic as users were not able to access their houses and the goods that were stored in them. Then, instead of playing on server 1, they'd just opt to wait until their server of choice was open. So not only were we splitting the population we were also loosing a player on the main server. 

Right now everything is busy with the current world situation, and we could easily open a second server to help get more places on Asylum for people to play. But we would only be creating another problem that has to be solved when the world calms down, people return to their everyday life, and students attempt to be a good student again. We would have to then close down server 2, and cause people to loose their houses, again. And then the rest of the admins, devs and I would have to field the questions and complications that come from closing down a server again. We would loose players because their houses are removed yet again and deal with the backlash of just that. 

When I made a previous post about this subject, it was during the environment of normal world operations. My argument was substantiated by a list of screenshots, and a brief explanation.  I will admit that I often find it frustrating to spam into the server. I often wish BI would have made some type of Que system much like FiveM has with GTA. It would have made things different for many communities. I utilize a hotkey that continues to  spam "Enter". I find that on average i wait about 5 minutes to get into the full server. You and others may find this tool useful, and a quick google search can get you pointed in the right direction in aiding to get this set up. I have linked my previous post on this subject below for reference in case you have not seen it. 

At the end of the day, I am not going to open a second server. Asylum is in a great place and the feedback from the players has been overwhelming. I strive to provide us with as many players on one server as we can, at all times. When other servers have 10-20 people on each one of their servers. I am thrilled that we can provide 80 on one server during the non peak times. And I believe that our recent success over the last 6 months is in part created by providing just that. 

I'd like to add that I would personally love to see the return of a second server as well, provided it would last.

I'm sure it's quite the mind boggling decision to make. On one end, it's hard to say exactly how many new players we are potentially missing out on because the server is so regularly full. The housing market would also be in a much more ideal state. On the other hand setting up a second server is from what I understand is a bit of a pain in the ass to say the least. Then when you take into consideration that both servers could go from being very full to less then half population in the span of a week due to school resuming, it makes the decision a lot harder. What Mitch is trying to preserve is a populated server. I do see both sides of the argument here. In my time on Asylum I would often say that what previous ownership would do with balancing changes and general decision making was pretty black and white with whether or not it was good or bad. However, with this particular decision it's not black and white at all.

The other thought I have had was "if we aren't growing we are dying." Perhaps for some reason Asylum would be unique to the rest of the altis life/Arma 3 community and if we did open up another server, both would for some spontaneous reason gain population and we would be 100 out of 100 on both servers all day every day. That is quite the gamble to take because you are effectively going against the numbers and statistics that says the population will drop and raise in a cyclic manner. 

I genuinely don't know what the right decision is, but I do think that having one server does potentially less damage in the long run then opening a second server and closing it again later on.