Server 2

3 hours ago, Storm7 said:

Because asylum has more than 120 players that want to play on the weekend

That didnt answer the question as to why someone would pay for a full month just to open a server for a few days.  At its peak Asylum has over 1k players trying to get into 500 slots. The reason it stayed popular was because people were always trying to get in.  When you add more servers and the servers look empty people dont join because they think the servers are shit. There is no reason at all to have servers that look half empty just to cater to the extra 20 people who need to spam in.

Edited by HotWings
Sheriff Rick likes this
13 hours ago, Robert said:

It's okay there's been poor choices to reduce population for 4 years now.  We going from 1.5 servers to 1, soon S1 will be up for only half the day

Don't be foolish. We are all working hard to ensure we can keep it as best as we can for everyone. Decisions are never easy to make, and this is a prime reason I didn't want to add a second server in the first place. But no one could have predicted the virus and the effects from it. Server 2 served it's purpose. But over the last week, the population was on a decline and it finally became apparent that we needed to go back to one server. I apologize that this decision isn't the same one that you would make.  

12 hours ago, ZRPH said:

(it cost to much money)

Don't be ignorant, you have zero idea how we effectively manage our resources. The last thing this is about is server rental fee. That's never been a part of the conversation. 

12 hours ago, Revenant said:

you guys make nothing but horrible decisions 

I'm not going to bother with much here. Seeing as you have spent 17 hours total on server 2, compared to the average of others on server 2. I'd day you're just here to stir the pot. 

12 hours ago, Sheriff Rick said:

Is the endless cycle finally over?

I rather spam enter than be on a boring server so good choice

That's the problem. I do not see the purpose in having two half full servers. Or 1 full server and a second with 30 people on it. 

11 hours ago, vUnited said:

Bump server one up from 120 to 150-160 to compensate for this change

Right now, we have found that we get the best performance at 120. With higher than that player cap, we experienced some desync when people were close together and fighting etc. It's not worth to add the extra people just for them to experience poor performance. As soon as we can raise that cap, we will. 

11 hours ago, nirvanamonkey said:

They really gonna make it so one server is full ALL THE TIME so we can never join... fun.

At peak times, joining will be more difficult. What would you do if you were in my same shoes? I can't have a second server where money can be earned with little to no risk. alliances can be formed and potentially you could have 10-30 people all farming some money making millions without risk. And then, take those millions and go to server 1 where there are people with a appropriate amount of risk having their runs ruined. I do not see how this values the community. Why would 1 group of people make money easy, and the second group have a tougher time?

11 hours ago, Vincent Buffermen said:

Fuckin Retarded. RIP Asylum 

I will ask you the same. With what I have listed above, what would you do? We can't force anyone to play on server 2. And over the last week when the server has been open from 2pm to 2am cst. The numbers have been low. 

8 hours ago, Revenant said:

@Clint Beastwood take the reigns again I'm sick of this broke hillbilly not being able to afford a second server

If you could actually manage to form a argument, I'd be willing to chat with you. Feel free to reach out and set up a time to talk in Ts.

52 minutes ago, Connor1959 said:

Maybe the server would have more people if it wasn’t only up for like 2-3 hours a day?

Since server 2 was brought back. it's been open from roughly 2pm-2am cst. 12 hours, which is a hard restart cycle. I am not sure where you are getting this 2-3 hours a day from. Could be that you're catching it at the late night closing time.

Hahaha,Not sure why so many are like OMAHGAWD ITS THE END OF ASYLUM......Pretty sure we all had that very fair warning that this is solely for the whole stay at home order timeline.

Get over it an spam into server 1? If some of the community members  could work on ideas an bounce em back an forth off one another with out being childish toxic grown men,we could probably have another server,or people not do things to get perm'd off the server.

Not making anyone's jobs easier by leaving half ass posts or just plain talking shit cause you don't understand or agree with someone..

IMHO Maybe the admins should crack down of people flaming one another if its not relevant to the post. *shrugs*.

Elijah likes this

@Mitch (IFRIT) It amazes me that after all this time you still find the energy to reply to people who have no insight and blur out the first thought they have.

Might not be playing anymore, but its nice to see that you're one hell of a improvement over good 'ol Paratus who literaly never spoke to the community. I guess people here either have forgotten or weren't around for that. Keep it up cowboy!

1 hour ago, Midamaru said:

@Mitch (IFRIT) It amazes me that after all this time you still find the energy to reply to people who have no insight and blur out the first thought they have.

Might not be playing anymore, but its nice to see that you're one hell of a improvement over good 'ol Paratus who literaly never spoke to the community. I guess people here either have forgotten or weren't around for that. Keep it up cowboy!

Well the problem is that they often don't have the complete picture. So it's harder for them to see why something is happening, and I get that frustration. From a revenue perspective I'd want to have 20 full servers. Even with two servers, our income is better than with one. But if this was about the income I would be keeping the server up, allowing people to farm money and tank the "economy". But I'm trusted with making the best decision possible, even if it doesn't seem like it to everyone else. I also realise that the limited voices on the forums do not represent everyone's thoughts and feelings. The last day I looked, there were 800 something people that played on one server of ours in one day. So I try my best to remember that they don't speak for everyone, but their opinions and thoughts are still important. 

Bandit, DankBud, Elijah and 8 others like this
5 hours ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

At peak times, joining will be more difficult. What would you do if you were in my same shoes? I can't have a second server where money can be earned with little to no risk. alliances can be formed and potentially you could have 10-30 people all farming some money making millions without risk. And then, take those millions and go to server 1 where there are people with a appropriate amount of risk having their runs ruined. I do not see how this values the community. Why would 1 group of people make money easy, and the second group have a tougher time?

I can see this, I somewhat now agree - thanks for the input Mitch! ❤️

9 hours ago, HotWings said:

That didnt answer the question as to why someone would pay for a full month just to open a server for a few days.  At its peak Asylum has over 1k players trying to get into 500 slots. The reason it stayed popular was because people were always trying to get in.  When you add more servers and the servers look empty people dont join because they think the servers are shit. There is no reason at all to have servers that look half empty just to cater to the extra 20 people who need to spam in.

Facts.  I wish more people would get this and the overly impulsive people would realize spamming enter for a few minutes isn't as bad as playing on a server where nothing is happening

1 hour ago, ggmman said:

Closing server 2 and having server 1 120/120 24/7 is just gonna push more people to play Olympus because you can always get on. This is only gonna make your average player count smaller and deter new players from even trying

😢

That’s just flat out wrong, new players sort by most populated. If they see a server that is always 120/120 they think “oh damn that must be a good server if it’s always full I gotta see what’s going on”

Kawaii, Inactive and Sheriff Rick like this
7 hours ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Don't be ignorant, you have zero idea how we effectively manage our resources. The last thing this is about is server rental fee. That's never been a part of the conversation. 

You guys probably pull more money then any altis life server maybe not GTA but there is no reason you guys should not be able to keep a second server up. If you dont give the community room to grow it wont, i can promise you if I was new and i saw an altis life server full and i tried to join it and it took me more then 5 min i would just go to another altis life server. Olympus is getting all your overflow. The amount of money you guys pull in and you only want to own one server tell us two things you are either trying to build up a large amount of cash to save for the down time this server is going to have in about 4-5 months or you are trying to squeeze every dollar you can out of this before this server completely fails.

Just now, ZRPH said:

You guys probably pull more money then any altis life server maybe not GTA but there is no reason you guys should not be able to keep a second server up. If you dont give the community room to grow it wont, i can promise you if I was new and i saw an altis life server full and i tried to join it and it took me more then 5 min i would just go to another altis life server. Olympus is getting all your overflow. The amount of money you guys pull in and you only want to own one server tell us two things you are either trying to build up a large amount of cash to save for the down time this server is going to have in about 4-5 months or you are trying to squeeze every dollar you can out of this before this server completely fails.

+1  If the server is always capped at 120 on server 1, then you will never know how many other people are trying to join.

8 hours ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Don't be foolish. We are all working hard to ensure we can keep it as best as we can for everyone. Decisions are never easy to make, and this is a prime reason I didn't want to add a second server in the first place. But no one could have predicted the virus and the effects from it. Server 2 served it's purpose. But over the last week, the population was on a decline and it finally became apparent that we needed to go back to one server. I apologize that this decision isn't the same one that you would make.  

I'm not going to bother with much here. Seeing as you have spent 17 hours total on server 2, compared to the average of others on server 2. I'd day you're just here to stir the pot. 

That's the problem. I do not see the purpose in having two half full servers. Or 1 full server and a second with 30 people on it. 

Right now, we have found that we get the best performance at 120. With higher than that player cap, we experienced some desync when people were close together and fighting etc. It's not worth to add the extra people just for them to experience poor performance. As soon as we can raise that cap, we will. 

I will ask you the same. With what I have listed above, what would you do? We can't force anyone to play on server 2. And over the last week when the server has been open from 2pm to 2am cst. The numbers have been low. 

If you could actually manage to form a argument, I'd be willing to chat with you. Feel free to reach out and set up a time to talk in Ts.

Since server 2 was brought back. it's been open from roughly 2pm-2am cst. 12 hours, which is a hard restart cycle. I am not sure where you are getting this 2-3 hours a day from. Could be that you're catching it at the late night closing time.

If it isn't about server rental fee, I think leaving two servers fully open and producing good content will naturally attract/keep members.  If people that joined recently and had zero real estate on S1 wouldn't have to worry about S2 being open, I believe more players would be online. 

But the real question is there's less than 7 days left and the server's locked, what am I gonna do with my 2000 freshly picked barley that's sitting 500m from distillery?

This thread delivers...

Revisit what I said - 

Also I said this in a locked thread earlier...

As a former owner during a "rebound" of players - there are a couple of factors playing into WHY S2 is actually here - instead of reading @Mitch (IFRIT)'s mind I can tell you the factors that lead to us dwindling down to one server and why I believe S2 POTENTIALLY wont be here long.

First a quick pro and con.

Cons

1. Arma 3 is almost 6 years old.
  2. Limitations on non-modded server - People get bored
  3. Steep learning curve for new players
  4. New games steal players
  5. Added expense for new server

Pros

1. Added benefit of "fail-over" (if a server fails, ddos, act of god, etc) business continuity
  2. Fresh start, houses are open to purchase.
  3. Player slots almost always available
  4. Open Department slots (AFD/APD)

ONE GIANT REASON RIGHT NOW....

We are in unprecedented times outside of the game due to Covid-19.  No one is physically in school or work (unless essential of course).  Everyone is at home with NOTHING but time.  There is only so many games to play before you want to move to something different. 

Arma 3 is filling that void for a good percentage of the people who have been apart of the community at some point in this servers 5+ year tenure.

In the past, I could have predicted server population throughout the year.  Infact - I had analytics dedicated to when an "event" was needed to draw players back in...  Right now you can just throw that shit out of the window.

Just like the stock/crypto markets right now - Ride out S2 while it is here.  Make your cash and invest in it.  But do not hesitate to sell at the first signal or gut instinct when things will change back to the way they were.  When server pop starts looking like 75/20 consistently.....  its probably too late to make your money back.

Good luck.

Kawaii likes this

this thread boils down to roaches being angry they can't bully new players, and new players being angry they can't drop a mil on an s1 house to do scotch, meth, or any other high paying job. The split pop saves new players from having to farm for hours on end just to get shit on by experienced players, and I think most of the people in this thread want S2 closed because they want to roach them on s1 instead.

26 minutes ago, Niklaus said:

this thread boils down to roaches being angry they can't bully new players, and new players being angry they can't drop a mil on an s1 house to do scotch, meth, or any other high paying job. The split pop saves new players from having to farm for hours on end just to get shit on by experienced players, and I think most of the people in this thread want S2 closed because they want to roach them on s1 instead.

I'm maxed out on meth houses, I wanted to stay the same for scotch

Just got off work and can't play asylum.  Would love to go donor 4 but why bother if I can't even log in.  Hate to bring it up but s2 is not a money farm.  It's an overflow server as stated in the original post.  It was never properly managed, which is why it had low populations.  But I'm not gonna get off work look at 120/120 and spam enter for 10 minutes just to play on a toxic overpopulated server that gets nuked by a hacker every day practically.  Not even gonna bother pressing space to get in when I can play other games or servers.  This is the prime opportunity to blow other servers out of the water but it failed.  Sorry to say it but this why other altis life servers that I won't name are spanking Asylum populations right now.  Over 200 players.  Asylum can do it, but is making an active choice not to.

Edited by TheHashSliningSlasher

Just throwing my opinion out there. s1 fucking blows and gets nuked all the time, i find myself putting in like 5 comp requests a week due to s1 getting bombed. Spamming s1 to get in is toxic, half the time i end up playing something else cause i dont want to spam enter for 15 minutes. Why not just keep doing what you've been doing and shutting down s2 when s1 pop drops

1 hour ago, TheHashSliningSlasher said:

Just got off work and can't play asylum.  Would love to go donor 4 but why bother if I can't even log in.  Hate to bring it up but s2 is not a money farm.  It's an overflow server as stated in the original post.  It was never properly managed, which is why it had low populations.  But I'm not gonna get off work look at 120/120 and spam enter for 10 minutes just to play on a toxic overpopulated server that gets nuked by a hacker every day practically.  Not even gonna bother pressing space to get in when I can play other games or servers.  This is the prime opportunity to blow other servers out of the water but it failed.  Sorry to say it but this why other altis life servers that I won't name are spanking Asylum populations right now.  Over 200 players.  Asylum can do it, but is making an active choice not to.

Not gonna pretend I'm not extremely new to the server, but began playing because I used to play Olympus around 2 years ago, started arma again and wanted something different. I can't sit here and say "I clearly know better than the admins, hear hear I'm smarter than all of you" because I know for a fact the admins have their reasons, even if we don't necessarily know them. However I have to agree with this guy. Recently I've been getting on to play and server 1 is always 120/120, having to spam to get in, and right next to it I see an uncapped Olympus server, ready to be joined. Thinking from the perspective of a player who has no house, no money, and is choosing between what server to start out on, Olympus or Asylum, the choice is made for them when Olympus has a free server and Asylum doesn't. Once they get established, get their house, get their money, etc. they don't want to swtich, let alone want to sit through server spamming to switch.

I'm worried that even though I'm new, I may be watching the death of Asylum infront of me if this is truly what would happen. However, like I said, the admins clearly have their reasons, they aren't dumb, and so I'm going to hold my breath. I'm sure they are thinking intelligently when making large decisions like this, we just have to watch and see how it goes.

MrTwister70 and R4T like this
23 minutes ago, guuf said:

Not gonna pretend I'm not extremely new to the server, but began playing because I used to play Olympus around 2 years ago, started arma again and wanted something different. I can't sit here and say "I clearly know better than the admins, hear hear I'm smarter than all of you" because I know for a fact the admins have their reasons, even if we don't necessarily know them. However I have to agree with this guy. Recently I've been getting on to play and server 1 is always 120/120, having to spam to get in, and right next to it I see an uncapped Olympus server, ready to be joined. Thinking from the perspective of a player who has no house, no money, and is choosing between what server to start out on, Olympus or Asylum, the choice is made for them when Olympus has a free server and Asylum doesn't. Once they get established, get their house, get their money, etc. they don't want to swtich, let alone want to sit through server spamming to switch.

I'm worried that even though I'm new, I may be watching the death of Asylum infront of me if this is truly what would happen. However, like I said, the admins clearly have their reasons, they aren't dumb, and so I'm going to hold my breath. I'm sure they are thinking intelligently when making large decisions like this, we just have to watch and see how it goes.

Exactly my point.  Asylum is much better trust me I've spent way to much time on both.  But it's getting harder everyday for me to want to play Asylum because of the awful server management and shit decisions like this.  I wouldn't blame any new player for not wanting to join a server that's 120/120 literally 90% of the time and closes the overflow server.

guuf likes this
1 hour ago, BaDaBiNg_10-8 said:

You can take my server, but you will NEVER take my freedom. 

I genuinely miss you.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:39 PM, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Hello all,

This is your notification that server 2 will be decommissioned on  5/16/2020. at 0200 CST. The server will go down for the final time. I realize that this is not the popular opinion. But over the last week, the population on server 2 has not been great. My goal has always been to provide one server that is as full as it can be at all times. I am glad that we were able to fill a second server and it was a blast to see 120/120 across the board. 

You will not be compensated for houses or the contents of them. If you have questions, please contact the staff and they can advise you further.

Mitch 

Edit

Early this week, we will adjust the mission like it was before where you could move the items to server 1, but that making new products etc will be disabled. once this is done, the server will be open 24/7 until it is shut down.

i will donate 150 dollars if you bring back STRIFE

BaDaBiNg_10-8 likes this