6 hours ago, wollie35 said:

Legit log and change it. I don't think it's that hard.

You obviously don't play cop and don't understand why this would be useful so let me explain.

Sure it would waste time logging out and back in to change your name but this isn't for that, this is so you can maintain your cover because your UC name won't appear on the player list, just like when you equip an Eminent title that doesn't make 'The Eminent minmax' appear on the player list just 'minmax'.

Edited by minmax
Danny and • B A R K I N • like this
17 hours ago, minmax said:

You obviously don't play cop and don't understand why this would be useful so let me explain.

Sure it would waste time logging out and back in to change your name but this isn't for that, this is so you can maintain your cover because your UC name won't appear on the player list, just like when you equip an Eminent title that doesn't make 'The Eminent minmax' appear on the player list just 'minmax'.

That is actually quite clever idea. Don't know if this is possible to hide player's name and replace it with title (someone smarter than me in a3 developement should give his/her opinion here).
If this is possible it would change a world in undercover operations. There will be issues regarding tylda key, binos etc. (I don't think they show titles, only raw playername) but I am sure someone can come up with solution?

I love the idea, can we have second opinion from dev team? @Jesse

Midamaru likes this

So you put on a undercover name as a title as example. That would make your ingame name show differently than it is?

If you are not the name above your head, then how do i identify you to send a text to, or to report for IA/rule breaking. If it's truly unrecognizable, i could apply for corp, go UC and passenger seating people without my real name being found out.

Just pointing out an issue, i would definitly love to see true undercover cops. Now mostly it takes a tidle and quick playerlist check to find out it's a cop.

Abu likes this
1 hour ago, Midamaru said:

So you put on a undercover name as a title as example. That would make your ingame name show differently than it is?

If you are not the name above your head, then how do i identify you to send a text to, or to report for IA/rule breaking. If it's truly unrecognizable, i could apply for corp, go UC and passenger seating people without my real name being found out.

Just pointing out an issue, i would definitly love to see true undercover cops. Now mostly it takes a tidle and quick playerlist check to find out it's a cop.

I think what u r describing is more like developement issue than anything else - if it's possible to track logs from title-changed names and connect them with PID, situation that u describe would not be an issue.

minmax likes this
3 hours ago, Raza said:

I'd rather have UCs show as civilians when in the UC slot, but that's never going to happen.

Yea, I’m wondering if a fake player could be added to the player list with the same name as the one equipped.

4 hours ago, Midamaru said:

If you are not the name above your head, then how do i identify you to send a text to

I can’t imagine it would be too difficult to forward the message to the actual officer. As for the rest @Danny covered it pretty well, it is corporal plus so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue either way.

Edited by minmax

The main issue I see with this personally is that initiation with cops could easily get confusing. Here is an example.

Requiem(xd) is fighting cops in bumble fuck nowhere and then they get killed by an undercover cop. At that point does it show the under covers name in the kill feed? What if you want to text an undercover cop to initiate? Would tilda give you his actual player name or his UC name? There would also obviously be issues with a UC cop being in a civ slot. I am all for this idea on a general whole. I just want to see a version of it that doesn't compromise initiation and what not.

Edit: One version of this that I think could potentially work is that if an undercover desires to down/lethal/engage on a civ, they must always siren or verbally initiate even in redzones to make it clear they are a cop, however up until that point they could blend in as much as any other civ if we went the route where a UC cop is in a civ slot.

3 minutes ago, Steve said:

The main issue I see with this personally is that initiation with cops could easily get confusing. Here is an example.

Requiem(xd) is fighting cops in bumble fuck nowhere and then they get killed by an undercover cop. At that point does it show the under covers name in the kill feed? What if you want to text an undercover cop to initiate? Would tilda give you his actual player name or his UC name? There would also obviously be issues with a UC cop being in a civ slot. I am all for this idea on a general whole. I just want to see a version of it that doesn't compromise initiation and what not.

I did say that the message should be able to be forwarded to the actual officer automatically, as far as the kill feed goes I can't imagen that it would be too hard to swap out the officers actual name for their UC name.

Edited by minmax
3 minutes ago, Steve said:

Stop making sense and raining on my hopes and dreams of UC being usable

minmax likes this
Just now, Raza said:

Stop making sense and raining on my hopes and dreams of UC being usable

I edited it gamer

4 minutes ago, minmax said:

I did say that the message should be able to be forwarded to the actual officer automatically, as far as the kill feed goes I can't imagen that it would be too hard to swap out the officers actual name for their UC name.

I suppose that could work. I just have no idea how much developmental work would actually go into this. It could be 3 hours of making the changes necessary or 3 weeks of straight grinding for the devs.

On 8/3/2020 at 10:44 PM, Steve said:

I suppose that could work. I just have no idea how much developmental work would actually go into this. It could be 3 hours of making the changes necessary or 3 weeks of straight grinding for the devs.

It depends how much of the code they can reuse and how much new code they would have to develop for it, I'd probably guess a week, then again I have no idea what pace the dev team works at.

Edited by minmax