Adding jobs and job tutorial NPCs or signs to main cities to bridge a crucial disconnect and reduce stagnation

TL;DR

1. Many new players are heard asking how to make money and begging for money in main cities. As well as stagnating and showing little interest in working because they crave a more fast paced, easily accessible, and less risky approach to getting started in Altis. This is apparent by observing main cities such as Kavala. Adding jobs and NPCs and/or large signs explaining how to do jobs into main cities will help bridge that disconnect between the new player and getting started. Then once they get started they will be "hooked" and seek longer more risk more reward activities to satisfy their growing desires.  

2. Players in general in main cities tend to stagnate and be turned off by the effort required in current jobs. Adding jobs into the main cities would give an easily accessible, lower effort, but fun option to people to be more active and incidentally create action.

3. I have listed some of my ideas, and ways to implement and balance them. I have tried to make them as easy to implement as possible.

Points 1, 2, and 3 explained

Too often I see players asking how to make money and begging for money in Kavala Square. 1, 2, even 3 players at a time. As an experiment I've told beggars they could make some money if they just go into the Red Burger and request a job. Which they gladly do though this job does not exist. However when I tell them to buy an ax and chop wood nearby which is an existing job, they are not interested. When the job is immediately accessible they are interested. When you ask them to travel they lose interest. They typically then wander around aimlessly not accomplishing much. I believe new players would benefit greatly from having starting jobs, and tutorials for jobs right in the main cities. And that many new players desire action at a faster pace and would far more likely to start making money and get "hooked" if jobs were immediately available and easy to find.

New players are not the only ones stagnating in main cities, players in general are too. Even the more experienced can be found in Kavala standing around in the square. Uninterested with the time investment and risk of the current options, they crave a faster paced way to play. Losing interest as they stand around doing nothing. Though with a lower effort option like working at the Red Burger people would at least have something interesting to do, be creating some money and perhaps inspiring thieves creating action. Or with other options I will detail further even creating simulated traffic in main cities as workers and thieves alike are incentivized to move throughout the city.

This isn't something I think will generate loads of hype and sell loot crates. Though I do think it will make the server immediately noticeably more enjoyable for many. And instead being a trickle up approach that by engaging, motivating, and retaining more players will lead to eventual donators and contribute to a more active and enjoyable experience for everyone. Which also increases the chance of donations. I think there are many players in this category and is worth considering. Below are some of my ideas and ways to implement and balance them. I have tried to make them as easy to implement as possible. I will be glad to flesh out these ideas as much as I can to help with their realization if interested.

IMPORTANT: With the implementation of any of these jobs, or even without should come an NPC and/or large sign in the main area of main cities that details the (legal) jobs available in Altis. Where they can be found, how to do them etc. Ideally being an NPC standing next to a large sign advertising his function. And clearly distinguishing between the jobs inside and outside the city.

Job Tutorial NPC or Sign

This would be a good idea with or without the implementation of new jobs. New players are left to figure out how to make money without much direction and are heard constantly asking how to make money in main cities. An NPC and/or large sign in the main area of main cities detailing the jobs available in Altis, where they can be found, how to do them etc would be an easy way to help bridge this disconnect between new players and getting started. It ideally would be an NPC standing next to a large sign advertising his function. It should clearly distinguish between jobs inside their city and out. 

Delivery Missions

Uses existing delivery mission mechanics. Starts in the main area of the city. Sends the player to e.g. Hospital then Commodities, Jeweler etc in a random order until satisfied giving cash on hand. This would not only serve as an attractive starting job, but also create simulated traffic in main cities. As well as giving new opportunities to thieves. 5k per 10 mins on average would be a good starting point in terms of balance. 

Red Burger 

Uses existing processing mechanics. Simply talk to the man in the Red Burger, request a job and wait for the processing to complete to receive cash in hand. Or even directly to your bank. Processing could be in any minute intervals 1,2,3,5,10. 5k per 10 mins on average would be a good starting point in terms of balance.

Wood Cutting

Simply enable wood cutting within city limits, with Kavala and popular starting cities being the main targets. I do not think even in the best circumstances this would be overpowered. Therisa would be a good example of a very good wood cutting spot being made available by this. Though the amount of money you make is very good I would not say it is broken. Also it can only be done once per restart so I picture it as an event slightly better than a rebel crate which could create some action and perhaps be more accessible to new players. 

Below is a link to a previous post I made with similar job ideas that could also be used. I really think Metal Detecting would be a very fun addition to Asylum. I have many other simple to implement ideas I have not written down as well. Like perhaps a rework of the toilet cleaning event into something more common or static could be considered. 

https://www.gaming-asylum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106571-new-job-ideas/

Please leave your thoughts in the comments. -Taylor Goldberg

Farmer Steve, Ryan., Donald and 9 others like this
8 minutes ago, Gen. Henry Arnold said:

Currently new players are auto messaged to press escape to view our wiki (which has a getting started guide, and guides for every activity on the server), the forums, discord and TS

Maybe the message gets lost in the chat for them, there could be some pop up instead 

Or just do what he said

6 hours ago, Gen. Henry Arnold said:

Currently new players are auto messaged to press escape to view our wiki (which has a getting started guide, and guides for every activity on the server), the forums, discord and TS

Maybe the message gets lost in the chat for them, there could be some pop up instead 

yeah but who wants to go read a wiki straight off from joining the server

TaylorSwift and Bag Of Funyuns like this
7 hours ago, Gen. Henry Arnold said:

I would say that isn't working very well because many new players still ask every day how do they make money. Either the message is being missed or they just don't want to go on the website and read it. Clearly the majority of new players don't want to read the rules when they join the server and I imagine it is the same for the wiki. New players would be far more likely to talk to an NPC and read information in game because that is more fun.