Potential solution to inactive players house hoarding

Default house slots 2, not including gang house

Can "upgrade" it to 5 by just accumulating enough hours within maybe 3 months.

Houses are removed from people under the playtime.

Example

The 3 month playtime is 30 hours.

Every 10 hours gives me an extra slot, either automatically, or maybe home improvement allows me to unlock it somehow.

At the start of this being implemented, everyone is assumed to have the 5 house slot upgrades.

If people don't get enough time after 3 months from this being added, they aren't really active.

If people do get the time every 3 months, they have nothing to worry about or think about. The upgrade stays and will refresh as long as they don't go three months without getting the playtime.

Any comments or better ideas are welcome.
@Mitch (IFRIT)

NorthFlonkz and Nico0314 like this
2 hours ago, Defragments said:

Example

Every 10 hours gives me an extra slot, either automatically, or maybe home improvement allows me to unlock it somehow.

At the start of this being implemented, everyone is assumed to have the 5 house slot upgrades.

If people don't get enough time after 3 months from this being added, they aren't really active.

If people do get the time every 3 months, they have nothing to worry about or think about. The upgrade stays and will refresh as long as they don't go three months without getting the playtime.

@Mitch (IFRIT)

Would be great, however, wouldn't it be easy to just login and AFK?

23 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Would be great, however, wouldn't it be easy to just login and AFK?

New server rules from @Mitch (IFRIT) "AFKing on the server for any amount of extended time in which a staff member determines to be egregious will result in administrative action being taken on you. Your first violation will be met with a warning and a sliding scale of time off the server will be in effect. Just don't do it. " so no, you cannot login and just "AFK"

Grizz likes this

What they could have done was add the electric bill, but only for inactive players. For example they could make it so if you play less then 20 hours a month, you pay a big electric bill fee (maybe have it scale with the amount of time you have been on). This will only hurt players that are taking up the good houses without playing. (They would keep the 30 days house removal as well)

Trioxide and Defragments like this
14 minutes ago, Kraken said:

New server rules from @Mitch (IFRIT) "AFKing on the server for any amount of extended time in which a staff member determines to be egregious will result in administrative action being taken on you. Your first violation will be met with a warning and a sliding scale of time off the server will be in effect. Just don't do it. " so no, you cannot login and just "AFK"

Didn't realize that was a thing so +1

23 minutes ago, Defragments said:

Nothing is perfect. But the odds that every single inactive person will suddenly start logging in for hours at a time to afk is unlikely, even if some do it.

Also very true lol

Defragments likes this

Keep houses rotating faster. If someone keeps playing they have nothing to worry about, if they decide to take a break it gives other players a chance to have fun for a bit until they take a break too. This also addresses people stockpiling inventories with no incentive to spend money on new items.

Default house maximum: 2 (not including gang house) -- no new player needs tons of houses, and anyone looking to get more is already invested in the server to have money anyway.

Upgrade house maximum (to address house hoarders + a money sink that provides a benefit): 2-->3 ($1m), 3-->4 ($2m), 4-->5 ($3.5m) -- prevents house hoarding by people who snag cheap ones, so rather than have an annoying bill to pay just for logging on for a house you already own you now pay a flat price upfront if you want to access more houses.

House inactivity (3 part):

Part 1: allow players to designate one house as their primary house, all other houses are considered secondary houses 

Part 2: any secondary house not accessed (spawned in, inventory accessed, etc.) for 14 days (by the owner) is placed back on the market (this lets players store stuff in their primary house knowing that one will be protected longer if they take a break)

Part 3: any primary house not accessed for 30 days is placed back on the market (addresses primary unused houses even if player is active), any primary house that has been accessed but is owned by a player with <10 hours (maybe a different # than 10) over 30 days is placed back on the market.

48 minutes ago, The Forgotten Legend said:

NO. you need to make each house slot more money. 1st is like 100k 2nd is like 300k 3 slots 1mil 4 slots 1.5mil and 5 houses is like 2.5mil boom done. then ppl will use their houses all the time. ppl with 5 houses need to pay 2mil rn to keep them all. 

It shouldn't cost money at all, that was the entire reason electricity bills got so much hate and was removed.

8 hours ago, Defragments said:

It shouldn't cost money at all, that was the entire reason electricity bills got so much hate and was removed.

Electricity was hated because it was an added chore that you had to do on a weekly basis just to enjoy the game or risk losing access to something you already paid for, the money itself isn't the problem, that method was just punishing people for playing the game.

People are happy to spend money when they can benefit from it, get an advantage, or are incentivized to do so. Being able to access extra houses for a premium fee would fit that.

47 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Electricity was hated because it was an added chore that you had to do on a weekly basis just to enjoy the game or risk losing access to something you already paid for, the money itself isn't the problem, that method was just punishing people for playing the game.

People are happy to spend money when they can benefit from it, get an advantage, or are incentivized to do so. Being able to access extra houses for a premium fee would fit that.

Do you have 5 houses?

Because having 5 houses meant you were losing 250k a week to nothing. That's not fun or a good way to address house hoarders. It punishes the active players, like me, that don't want to lose a million a month. Sometimes I grind for some weeks, sometimes I don't want to for months at a time. I shouldn't be forced to grind. There are plenty of other interactive things to do on the server to keep stuff interesting.

@Azeh @Mr. Slick
Can any devs comment on if this is possible or even a good idea?

7 minutes ago, Defragments said:

Because having 5 houses meant you were losing 250k a week to nothing. That's not fun or a good way to address house hoarders. It punishes the active players, like me, that don't want to lose a million a month. Sometimes I grind for some weeks, sometimes I don't want to for months at a time. I shouldn't be forced to grind. There are plenty of other interactive things to do on the server to keep stuff interesting.

@Azeh @Mr. Slick
Can any devs comment on if this is possible or even a good idea?

You're not reading what I wrote, I agreed with you that electricity was a bad idea and poorly implemented way to address the fundamental issues, which I talked about an alternative option earlier

On 9/14/2021 at 7:19 AM, Defragments said:

Example

@Mitch (IFRIT)

or maybe just have money and be able to buy five houses bozo. Nobody wants two houses, that's literally stupid and useless. Think before you type and get more houses. ill donate one to you for free since your poor and cant own 5. 

Niklaus likes this