Changes to Asylum

It is difficult to avoid the fact that our beloved ARMA3 server, Asylum, is dying.

The server has been struggling for some time now and I think that it is time now that we work together as a community to add some changes. As I have been told many times in the course of my military service, "one solider cannot change the battle but a team can always".

I propose something which I think many players will not like, but I have seen it work many times on other servers at different times.

Reset the server, and make it from the ground-up.

This will certainly be unpopular with the old players who own all the houses in the biggest cities and have 50 ifrits in there garage, but starting new will definitely bring new players to the server, also causing there to be a big rush to buy the houses and make money. It would be very crazy and could be a risky move, but I could think that everyone starting fresh may bring back people who have gotten tired of the server and also attract new players who are interested in the new opportunities.

I also propose that there is a heavier focus on RP implemented into the server. Right now the role-play aspects are very minimal and the RDM rates are high. Everytime I try and go anywhere it's just "bullet hell".

I have also seen other players say that maybe we change the map. I think that would be a good idea but also requires alot of work from the developers I imagine and could be very, very frustrating. That being said, a smaller and newer map could bring us all a bit closer to action and would improve the game-play. Also, new map = fun, lol.

That's all I have for now. Cheers

qoekeur

giphy.gif

(Note: Sorry for poor grammar, not native english over here)

Try resetting the money and see if all the people who grinded thousands of hours would want to come back to just do it all over again; they wouldn't. There needs to be another solution if they want to bring up server population, still haven't lost total hope Christmas break is coming soon with hopefully new and returning players.

Wiping everyone was brought up several times with the last community meeting and I personally think it would be a good idea. It would drive away a good part of the community especially those who worked countless hours to build what they have now. Some suggested wiping bank and housing inventories only but maintaining those properties.

You may think “oh he doesnt care if its wiped , hes an admin and can spawn things in”

while it may be true i could spawn things in, id mainly spawn in events for players to earn starting cash and to not benefit my own game but id still have unlimited supplies.

I have always found restarting somewhat fun to an extent but at this time mitch said he has no interest in wiping the server.

TLDR: Wiping the server may drive more long term players away from the community and we wouldn’t want that

ManWeKilledIt and Niklaus like this
13 minutes ago, ManWeKilledIt said:

Try resetting the money and see if all the people who grinded thousands of hours would want to come back to just do it all over again; they wouldn't. There needs to be another solution if they want to bring up server population, still haven't lost total hope Christmas break is coming soon with hopefully new and returning players.

I don't understand. Do the old players play the server because they enjoy it, or because they have so much time invested into it? That might be the problem right there. It is impossible to appease the veteran players if they aren't actually interested in playing, no?

Also, what percentage of the server is veteran players?

@Mayhem, this also applies to your thought.

Niklaus likes this
1 minute ago, meme9011 said:

I don't understand. Do the old players play the server because they enjoy it, or because they have so much time invested into it? That might be the problem right there. It is impossible to appease the veteran players if they aren't actually interested in playing, no?

the problem is we will never be able to please everyone. The veteran players enjoy it because they have already established their housing and cash flow to continue fighting cartels, a good portion of the server are veteran players that have been around for quite some time. Mitch made a post about a hypothetical wipe and it received a lot of negative feedback. 

8 minutes ago, meme9011 said:

1) We have always played the server because we enjoy it. We didn't spend the amount of time we did (Thousands of hours in some of our cases) on a server we didn't like. That would be ridiculous. 
2) That said, now that we have put in the effort to be where we are, we would like to enjoy the rewards of the time and effort we put in. Which includes not losing it all.
3) As for what percentage of the server is veteran players: Since at the recent community meeting it was stated that Asylum has had a recent problem bringing in a large amount of new players, I would guess probably most of them? We're 'veteran players' because we have played for a long time AND are still here. Otherwise we'd just be 'former players'.

Patrick Swayze likes this

I don't really know why people think this is a suitable argument. Asylum has been around for countless years and it has never reset. Not once, and that is one of the main reasons Asylum is so unique. Anyone saying lets "reset" the server to gain more players is either just broke in-game and wants everyone to reset or has not played for over 500 hours. Because anyone who has actually played Asylum knows the struggle it can take to gain money and finally get to a suitable and comfortable position. It makes me laugh when people say "We cant make everyone happy" like Mayhem stated above, because it has NEVER been about making everyone happy. It has always been about making the majority happy, and its a clear fact the MAJORITY says no. Asylum is not going to reset the server and fuck over all active & dedicated players just to bring back the people who don't want to play anymore because they lost there money, lost there houses, or simply aren't having fun. If you love the fresh start so much and making money go empty your bank account to new players and start from $10,000. Because for most of you, you wont want to do that you just want the opportunity to go buy the "BEST HOUSE". Like stated in the community meeting by Mitch, Asylum has had massive player droughts previously, ones that he "Thought the server was shut off" but he didn't make a stupid decision to reset the server then and it turned out okay. People are busy, and everyone's no longer quarantined at home playing video games, the player base will come back around in a timely manner like it always does. 

Sheriff Rick and Hypersomnia like this
7 hours ago, leee said:

I don't really know why people think this is a suitable argument. Asylum has been around for countless years and it has never reset. Not once, and that is one of the main reasons Asylum is so unique. Anyone saying lets "reset" the server to gain more players is either just broke in-game and wants everyone to reset or has not played for over 500 hours. Because anyone who has actually played Asylum knows the struggle it can take to gain money and finally get to a suitable and comfortable position. It makes me laugh when people say "We cant make everyone happy" like Mayhem stated above, because it has NEVER been about making everyone happy. It has always been about making the majority happy, and its a clear fact the MAJORITY says no. Asylum is not going to reset the server and fuck over all active & dedicated players just to bring back the people who don't want to play anymore because they lost there money, lost there houses, or simply aren't having fun. If you love the fresh start so much and making money go empty your bank account to new players and start from $10,000. Because for most of you, you wont want to do that you just want the opportunity to go buy the "BEST HOUSE". Like stated in the community meeting by Mitch, Asylum has had massive player droughts previously, ones that he "Thought the server was shut off" but he didn't make a stupid decision to reset the server then and it turned out okay. People are busy, and everyone's no longer quarantined at home playing video games, the player base will come back around in a timely manner like it always does. 

not broke, have 10k hours, and wants a wipe

7 hours ago, leee said:

This

A lot of this is ulterior motives and hurt egos.

1 hour ago, Farmer Steve said:

What about keeping houses, but clearing everyone's house inventory, garages, and 1/10thing everyone's money?

Wipe everyones cash & let them start with 250k. Also wipe 4 of their houses, and only let them keep one. This way people can keep the one house they really want, also toss them 250k so they can buy another house on the server. 

The reason for the 250k is so everyone has a chance to buy a house beginners & advanced players. 

Dont want to reset money? Let people use their in-game money to buy rewards on the server, and etc. 1 million = 5 loot boxes or something like that. 10 million 3 months vip or something worth it.

王 rando 王 likes this

not a wipe. No.

change up some locations. better places to fight... they exist devs just cant find them. Ill post some screenshots some day of a great cartel spot below abdera.

they dont give any cosmetic/titles for completing quests. 

their questline/achievs are a mess and need serious revamp.

improving roleplay, ect...

alot of things thatll never happen

asylum seens its good days and sadly I dont think it;ll make a comeback due to all these things they think they left it the same for years and years and its dried out..... they scared to squeeze the sponge of magical soapy colorful liquid into this sad sad deserted wasteland of 13yr olds

Edited by The Forgotten Legend