Can we get an actual weather cycle?

Trioxide

Weather cycle  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Add a weather cycle to asylum

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Edit: After looking at the results of the poll, I think adding a little bit of dynamic weather to the game would be great. If it was short and rare, it would satisfy those who wanted it without bothering those who don’t.

Wouldn't that be so nice? I feel like it's very much needed. Sunny weather is great and all, but it's boring af when it never changes. If it was implemented, this is how I would do it:

• Each restart has a 10% chance to include rain, a 10% chance to include fog, and a 10% chance to include an overcast.
  • Rain, fog, and overcast each occur for 30 minutes at a random point during the restart.

According to the BI wiki, this should be easily doable. I'm honestly a little confused about why this isn't already a thing, unless it's somehow a performance issue. It can be as rare as it needs to be.

Edited by Piter De Vries

I think this should do it, super simple:

//Executed globally on initialization
if (random 10 < 0.1) then {
	[] spawn {
		sleep 600 + random 11400;
		900 setFog 0.8;
		sleep 900;
		900 setFog 0;
	};
};
	[] spawn {
		900 setRain 0.8;
		sleep 900;
		900 setRain 0;
	};
};
	[] spawn {
		[900, 0.8] remoteExec ["setOvercast"];
		sleep 900;
		[900, 0] remoteExec ["setOvercast"];
	};
};

24 minutes ago, Michael L said:

We used to have rain and fog a very long time ago (it synced from the real greek island apparently?) and they were horrible. Also caused major FPS issues.

Maybe it would affect performance, but I can't see it doing so to the extent that it isn't worth it. Especially if it only has about a 30% chance to occur for only 30 minutes per restart.

Edited by Piter De Vries
4 hours ago, ObiWoki said:

I have added a poll to see the publics opinion furthermore I do not know if it is removed due to performance or anything like that so i'd have to look into that

17 hours ago, Piter De Vries said:

Wouldn't that be so nice? I feel like it's very much needed. Sunny weather is great and all, but it's boring af when it never changes. If it was implemented, this is how I would do it:

• Each restart has a 10% chance to include rain, a 10% chance to include fog, and a 10% chance to include an overcast.
  • Rain, fog, and overcast each occur for 30 minutes at a random point during the restart.

According to the BI wiki, this should be easily doable. I'm honestly a little confused about why this isn't already a thing, unless it's somehow a performance issue. It can be as rare as it needs to be.

Was already a thing. in-game weather was based off IRL weather in Greece. Granted this was at a time when Arma3 still had mem leaks and other major issues before the 64bit version. Client FPS was the biggest issue, then sound from the rain and the wind affecting their piloting was another.

The script you linked is pretty trash, wind can be adjusted to affect helicopters (Was hilarious when the sensor in Greece fucked up and read some insane number basically grounding all the aircraft on asylum). It doesn't even set humidity to change the sound of footsteps in wet conditions. Also where is the rainbow after the rain :( https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setRainbow

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setHumidity The reason its not already a thing is because it was and wasn't liked. Why do the same thing over and over?
6gikqh.jpg

Innate, Vash, Trioxide and 1 other like this
1 hour ago, Patato said:

then sound from the rain and the wind affecting their piloting was another

If there's dynamic weather, then it should definitely affect those things. It's supposed to.

1 hour ago, Patato said:

The script you linked is pretty trash, wind can be adjusted to affect helicopters (Was hilarious when the sensor in Greece fucked up and read some insane number basically grounding all the aircraft on asylum). It doesn't even set humidity to change the sound of footsteps in wet conditions. Also where is the rainbow after the rain :( https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setRainbow

Right, it was just an example.

1 hour ago, Patato said:

The reason its not already a thing is because it was and wasn't liked. Why do the same thing over and over?

Maybe tweak it this time and make it much less common/prevalent? I feel like there's definitely a degree at which most players would like it.

3 minutes ago, heats. said:

I'd love this increase fog during rain so it doesn't mess up FPS. make the server have life to it. more water on altis the thing is a desert surrounded by bodies of watrer?

If you want to get RP about it Altis is actually in its dry season. Hence the depleted rivers & salt flats that would otherwise normally flood. So the lack of rain RP wise is justified.

1 hour ago, Patato said:

If you want to get RP about it Altis is actually in its dry season. Hence the depleted rivers & salt flats that would otherwise normally flood. So the lack of rain RP wise is justified.

yeah but maybe it's the beginning of the end of the dry season.

1 hour ago, Juan Lei said:

all i remember from the weather is the sound of the 4 hour rain just cancelling any other sounds , it's given me ptsd and would never want to see it back

I don't think anyone is suggesting it rain for 4 hours. I was thinking 15 to 30 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, 王 rando 王 said:

Who the fuck voted yes, have these retards seen rain in this game. I remember when there was weather on the server and it sucked ass

What don’t you like about the game? The sound it makes? It’s going to change the game and the way it’s played. It’s not just supposed to be aesthetic. People might silently sneak onto a cap under the cover of rain. They might use the cover of fog to remain unseen. It would be cool.

21 minutes ago, Piter De Vries said:

What don’t you like about the game? The sound it makes? It’s going to change the game and the way it’s played. It’s not just supposed to be aesthetic. People might silently sneak onto a cap under the cover of rain. They might use the cover of fog to remain unseen. It would be cool.

It was removed before because no one liked it. Ig some people either forgot or weren’t around for it back then.

6 minutes ago, 王 rando 王 said:

It was removed before because no one liked it. Ig some people either forgot or weren’t around for it back then.

Well, it takes very little effort to add (like 20 minutes of scripting), and most people say they want it. If it turns out that everyone thinks it sucks and changes their minds, they can just remove it again. Arma 3 weather has been updated since then. It likely isn’t the same as what you are remembering.

5 minutes ago, Gen. Henry Arnold said:

Did some weather tests

Showed off light rain, light wind, a storm, and light snow (added in Arma 3 v2.08) on the server, people were interested in it

Rain can be toned down so much that it isn't just pouring and killing vision (especially in NVG), it could be a drizzle

Yeah, it should be tweaked to where no one is really hurt by it. It can be made as uncommon as it needs to be, but it isn’t a bad thing if it actually goes far enough to effect gameplay. It would be more interesting if it did.