Please bring back the old direct chat sound?

I know Barkin already brought this up and the devs didnt care.....but honestly, do you guys play the game?

The sound quality might be clearer but its multidirectional. People across the steet and inside a house sound like theyre inside your head, like theyre in your TS and you cant tell where they are at.

Ive had people initiate on people that were 50 meters away and they sound like theyre in my ear.

Clearer doesnt mean better.

4 hours ago, Hoodlum Priest said:

I know Barkin already brought this up and the devs didnt care.....but honestly, do you guys play the game?

No never played the game in my life. Guess you don't remember me talking to you and Leroy about the exchange and then once the issue was fixed proceeded to play with you and Leroy for 20-40 minutes as we flew around in a helicopter. 

The sound quality might be clearer but its multidirectional. People across the steet and inside a house sound like they're inside your head, like they're in your TS and you cant tell where they are at.

Ive had people initiate on people that were 50 meters away and they sound like they're in my ear.

I obviously don't know what your sound setup/settings are but i can clearly figure out direction & distance from testing in game. 

the ONLY thing Azeh changed was the bandwidth for audio so sound quality is better. Idk wtf ur talking about when it comes to the bottom sentance. Nothing changed other than quality.

Its 2022 and asylum finally sounds better than a 2012 Xbox 360 cod lobby. Get over it, i dont understand how you guys can advocate for worse sound quality. 

2 hours ago, Patato said:

No never played the game in my life. Guess you don't remember me talking to you and Leroy about the exchange and then once the issue was fixed proceeded to play with you and Leroy for 20-40 minutes as we flew around in a helicopter. 

I obviously don't know what your sound setup/settings are but i can clearly figure out direction & distance from testing in game. 

the ONLY thing Azeh changed was the bandwidth for audio so sound quality is better. Idk wtf ur talking about when it comes to the bottom sentance. Nothing changed other than quality.

Its 2022 and asylum finally sounds better than a 2012 Xbox 360 cod lobby. Get over it, i dont understand how you guys can advocate for worse sound quality. 

I like the new quality, but he’s not wrong, you can hear people from the other side of kavala square like they’re right next to you, like the voip distance is longer now.

8 hours ago, Patato said:

The only thing that changed is the bandwidth
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Server_Config_File
vonCodecQuality

I hear you and believe you, I’m just saying it definitely has a further distance now, maybe a Bohemia thing idk but it’s actually kinda wild how far you can hear people now

1 minute ago, 王 rando 王 said:

I hear you and believe you, I’m just saying it definitely has a further distance now, maybe a Bohemia thing idk but it’s actually kinda wild how far you can hear people now

and I still prefer to new sound even with it carrying a further distance, im just acknowledging that it definitely carries a further distance

33 minutes ago, Azeh said:

I tested it on server 2 a long time ago and you could definitely hear people from further away. Just felt like changing it on server 1 for increased quality and to see people's reactions. Haven't tested other values, but there are multiple to choose from. Will try something else next restart.

I really like the higher quality just the distance thing is weird but I can learn to live with it

22 hours ago, Patato said:

LOL, I was being facetious, chill.

Clearer doesnt mean better at the expense of playability. The voice audio is critical when determining direction and distance. I have Astro A40s with the Mixamp Pro and have tried everything to make the sound more directional. But if Bohemia changed it I guess there isnt much you can do.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:09 PM, Patato said:

changing the voice codec changes how VOIP is transferred. I believe once the setting is past 10 or 20 the VOIP becomes 2D instead of 3D. This is why it sounds like they're in the same TS channel as you. As well as this is the reason as why you cannot differentiate where it is coming from. The voice attenuation also completely fails the second you set vonCodec = 1 you will be able to hear voices from up to 80m away. Been around since the addition of this. simple fix, remove it. 

Edited by Infamous [FULL SEND]