Cop Sided Federal Event (Evidence Convoy)

Savage.

Is this a good idea?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • This needs to be revised or tweaked

With the recent community meeting that was held a lot of topics were talked about from newer friendly player zones to newer federal events, I'm here to discuss the event portion of it. Playing as the APD is a blast but can be a bland at times as the only thing we can do is.

• Federal Events
  • Interact with players 
  • Respond to robberies (which almost never get responded to)
  • Give out tickets 
  • Patrol cities and illegal areas 

Not much content for the APD unless you're a SGT, LT, or CPT as you have authorization to much more, Let me introduce cop sided event. 

Evidence Convoy 

Rules: 

1. 2 LTs Must be present to start event with a combination of 60 Civs 
  2. Must wait 15 mins before starting the convoy
  3. Must be a minimum of 10 officers online
  4. Must defend evidence lock up for 15 mins until all evidence gets locked up 
  5. Convoy must go a normal speed
  6. Convoy must start from Evidence Lock Up to Kavala Check Point (Civs must take the vehicle to Athira Rebel) or Dump HQ to Pygros (Civs must take the vehicle to Kavala Rebel) 

Reasons for the rules 

• (1.) LTs are essentially a gangs R2, makes sense that they should be the one leading/able to do it
  • (2.) Civs should be able to set up ambush points and road blocks to either delay or halt the convoy completely and also give them time to prepare or halt whatever activity they're currently doing to give them the opportunity to participate in said event 
  • (3.) With the current ratio on cops to civ 10 officers should be a good start, this can be twerked to a devs liking as I'm sure the higher ups will have feed back on the event in what can be changed 
  • (4.) Instead of making the convoy from start to finish by adding a time frame at the HQ’s this gives the factor of a "Defend Terriorty" for the APD.
  • (5.) We don't want the convoy to go full speed down the main MSR giving time for ambushes or road blocks to form again
  • (6.) Civs have to take the Hemmet to a rebel outpost in order to access the materials within the convoy

Convoy Inventory/Payout

• Must use a Hemmet truck
  • Hemmet can be filled with either with Cocaine bricks, PCP, Wax or guns
  • Payout for officers will be 1 mil split between all officers involved

Conclusion

This will all be tweaked some things can be added or removed but at the end of the day the community and active player base will know what's best as we are the ones that play, I wanna know you're guys feedback on this idea and hope the devs will use this as the blue print to a fun and entertaining event. 

Edit S/O to @Jr4life24 for this idea

Cop Evidence - Priority #2, (Under Evidence, above mental) would have a payout between Evidence lockup/Mental Asylum. (Roughly 1m+ loot table, could even look into potential for Zafir etc.) 

Two separate routes would be available, civs must be required to take it to a drop off point in order to access materials inside. (still unsure how to flesh this out fully)

• Either Dump HQ -> Pygros HQ with a civ drop off point of Athira Rebel.
  • Evidence Lockup -> Kavala Checkpoint with a civ drop off point near Kavala Rebel. 

Civilians are provided a 5-8 minute warning that a police convoy event is starting. The civs will not be provided what route but common knowledge that both routes must past through the center of the map. 

Requirements to start - 2 LT+, (They're essentially a gangs R2, makes sense that they should be the one leading/able to do it.) 10 cops and 60-80 civilians. - Reason being, this is meant to be a cop sided federal event that when pulled will want to entice players of all variety to attend and attempt to steal. Given the access that civs have with 50s, quillins etc, we want to ensure the APD has access to all equipment to protect, Civs would also have an updating redzone where the convoy is.

Convoy vehicle itself will be one/(two separate) tempest repairs (with the loot split 50/50) allowing APD to keep their vehicles moving and fixed up. Convoy itself will be a moving red zone only for those who are engaging the APD, not for random civs near by. (Assume proper use of force policy.)

Payout for cops I'm unsure about, assuming roughly 1m split so about 100k per cop if successful, less of a payout if more cops attend.

P.S

I also speak 3 different languages and wish to buy the server

Edited by TheAceSavage
Implementing Jr4life24 Ideas
zdeat, Panda and Sandwich like this

A cop started fed event is an awesome idea. It would really spice things up a little as long as the incentive for rebels are there to attend. The only real pain with a “moving fed event” is going to be the VDM/etc that comes with the cars. It could also be a potential annoyance for civs just on the path of the fed event. 

When I’ve brought this kind of idea up, I always default to a static police started fed event instead of having driving part of it. So you’d just have maybe a defendable compound with a building or two in the middle that the cops can go to. They scroll wheel something and it starts the event. Then they’d hunker down and defend while rebels can attack. You remove the “aids” of a driving fed event. 

Either way, I’d just love to see a cop started fed event. However it’s implemented. New is good. Really hoping something similar gets pushed through and added. It would be a healthy change of pace for the server every now and then when started. 

Savage., zdeat and BlackShot like this

This has been recommended so many times. Anyways the problems I see with spawning everything inside of the hemmet is that there is no “second life” for the cops. I’ve seen past convoys have a single zafir in it. We lost the convoy for less than a minute and the gun and guy was gone.

As stated in previous suggestions if implemented rebels should be required to take the vehicle to a different designated area. Gives the cops a chance to use their second life if all get wiped.

I also foresee the no quilin and 50 cals being hard to enforce. Or make this as a single exception for 1 and event on the server.

Savage. likes this
1 hour ago, Sandwich said:

A cop started fed event is an awesome idea. It would really spice things up a little as long as the incentive for rebels are there to attend. The only real pain with a “moving fed event” is going to be the VDM/etc that comes with the cars. It could also be a potential annoyance for civs just on the path of the fed event. 

When I’ve brought this kind of idea up, I always default to a static police started fed event instead of having driving part of it. So you’d just have maybe a defendable compound with a building or two in the middle that the cops can go to. They scroll wheel something and it starts the event. Then they’d hunker down and defend while rebels can attack. You remove the “aids” of a driving fed event. 

Either way, I’d just love to see a cop started fed event. However it’s implemented. New is good. Really hoping something similar gets pushed through and added. It would be a healthy change of pace for the server every now and then when started. 

Yeah I can agree the VDM might be a problem, but over all it’s a bannable offense that should have little consequences with the convoy. It would be no different then someone doing a bank robbery and having 4 guys stand outside the zone of it so SWAT doesn’t get triggered except we’ll actually have proof of who VDMs and can send in a report for it 

1 hour ago, Austin M said:

This has been recommended so many times. Anyways the problems I see with spawning everything inside of the hemmet is that there is no “second life” for the cops. I’ve seen past convoys have a single zafir in it. We lost the convoy for less than a minute and the gun and guy was gone.

As stated in previous suggestions if implemented rebels should be required to take the vehicle to a different designated area. Gives the cops a chance to use their second life if all get wiped.

I also foresee the no quilin and 50 cals being hard to enforce. Or make this as a single exception for 1 and event on the server.

Well their could be a limit set for respawn, instead of 1 we can bump it up to 3 respawns while convoy is on the road. And once it gets to the evidence lock up then it’s whoever is in the compound to hold and defend it no respawns after that It may sound complicated but it allows for officers to plan ahead for the event example: having all the ifrits outside the evidence lock up and all hatchbacks roll in to defend the territory if they die then no respawns allowed 

Sandwich likes this
1 hour ago, TheAceSavage said:

Yeah I can agree the VDM might be a problem, but over all it’s a bannable offense that should have little consequences with the convoy. It would be no different then someone doing a bank robbery and having 4 guys stand outside the zone of it so SWAT doesn’t get triggered except we’ll actually have proof of who VDMs and can send in a report for it 

I absolutely agree. I just wanted to give an alternate option for others checking out the post just in case. 

A driving fed event cant work? Okay great, lets talk about a compound then. That kind of thing. 

Hope it goes through!

Savage. likes this

I kinda talked about it briefly in the “community meeting” but I was saying that evidence should seize into an HQ, then cops are able to load up the contents into a tempest and then drive that to the evidence lockup. With this you’re able to take contents of something like Air HQ to evidence. The payout for each HQ would scale depending on how far the HQ is to the evidence lockup. 

4 hours ago, Sandwich said:

This would work more like a shipping event for cops, the only difference is we would have only one location to go, being the evidence lockup. 

4 hours ago, Austin M said:

I’ve seen past convoys have a single zafir in it. We lost the convoy for less than a minute and the gun and guy was gone.

The way I see you could get around this is using the vehicle as a shipping event. Cops take it to evidence and the rebels take it to 100% Pyrgos South. Gives cops the ability to take back the vehicle without the contents of the event being taken and gone. 

I also think it’s going to be impossible to tell civs no quilins/ 50cals. Are the admins going to ban someone for using them? I think it’s a VERY quick way to annoy career rebels.  Instead…. Bring back the justice wagon!

5 hours ago, TheAceSavage said:

Only 4 Ifrits can be used for the convoy, Unless one or more gets destroyed but no more then 4 per Convoy

Armor isn’t capped on normal fed events and I’m going to assume this isn’t going to be 18v18 all the time like last night. I’ve talked about this in other posts before, we’re out numbered out gunned and out armored. I think nerfing cops more is just going to make it aids for us. 

One thing I would like to add as well is SWAT is enabled for the event, and there is no limit to this. If there are 5 SWAT officers online, 5 SWAT slots are enabled. 

CoIt, lukee, Savage. and 1 other like this

Personally if this is something we’re able to add, I’d like it to have the same attention it gets from an evidence. Tons of cops/civs plenty of warning for civs before starting. Requires 1-2 LT+ to start and it’s loaded with some loot that is extremely rare to obtain that would pull more then just the cartel gangs. Civs would be required to take it to a different marker if they are to secure it in order to access the contents or if successfully delivered it would be a decent payout for the cops. 

I had some ideas on it fully fleshed out but I’m away from my computer but I’d be happy to throw my full take on it later.

Djmon, Savage., Sandwich and 1 other like this
1 hour ago, Jr4life24 said:

Personally if this is something we’re able to add, I’d like it to have the same attention it gets from an evidence. Tons of cops/civs plenty of warning for civs before starting. Requires 1-2 LT+ to start and it’s loaded with some loot that is extremely rare to obtain that would pull more then just the cartel gangs. Civs would be required to take it to a different marker if they are to secure it in order to access the contents or if successfully delivered it would be a decent payout for the cops. 

I had some ideas on it fully fleshed out but I’m away from my computer but I’d be happy to throw my full take on it later.

Please do, I wanna get everyone’s input on the matter within a few days I will edit and revise it hopefully giving the devs a full blueprint to the event 

This is actually a great idea, it adds some spice to the server for both cops and civilians. I don't see how expanding opportunities for both cops and civilians is a bad idea in any way. Sure the specifics in design of the event can be fine tuned by developers, staff, and APD higher ups to ensure balance and purpose. 

From a rebel perspective, we have control of what happens. We start the events, choose which event, prepare for the event, and so on. Imagine flying around and next thing you know there is a APD convoy shipping valuables to the evidence lockup in which you can attempt to hijack. That alone adds a new approach/perspective to events. 

Then on the cop side, other than waiting for a fed or driving around in a city this also opens a new door of opportunity moving forward. It allows for the APD to expand and introduce new responsibilites / trainings. For example the expanded utilization of swat, convoy trainings, briefings, etc. all in which tie into the event sponsored by the APD rather than the rebels. 

Obviously would need fine tuning before implementation but overall great idea definatelly +1. Cool to think about what else could be implemented that really brings some life & excitement to the server for all parties involved. 

Not to be specific to the event described in this thread of it being a convoy but generally relating to the idea of cop sided events. 

Edited by Skete
zdeat, Djmon, Sandwich and 1 other like this

Cop sided Fed events are a great idea, the only problem I have is trying to figure out the best system for a large amount of civilians to partake in this. We all know if these Fed events include a money incentive, there is also going to be civ vs civ battles during these events. This happened during the Cop Transport events that happened months ago where they would drive from Sofia to Kavala. 

Most of the Fed Events are balanced for cops as well. They can set up a spawn location that isn't far, they spawn in with armor and a kit, to not waste any time during the event. If these Cop Events were to happen, they need to balance a way for civs to get back into the event without it being a huge time crunch. Possibly by implementing the same system they have with the no PVP zone they have for Gang Fort and allowing a temporary spawn to it during the event. 

Overall great idea, I just feel like they would need to implement some balancing for civs for these types of events. 

Sandwich, Savage. and zdeat like this
4 hours ago, ObiWoki said:

The main issue why this isn't a thing yet is due to the fact we cannot 'force' civilians to participate therefor it isn't always a set in stone thing that people will participate which makes balancing such items really hard one time there will be no one the other time there will be loads of people

Is there a way to use kind of how federal reserve tracks new people going in? Won’t be the perfect fix.

5 hours ago, ObiWoki said:

The main issue why this isn't a thing yet is due to the fact we cannot 'force' civilians to participate therefor it isn't always a set in stone thing that people will participate which makes balancing such items really hard one time there will be no one the other time there will be loads of people

I can see that being an issue but I believe as long as it’s balanced on either side then it won’t cause to much of an instability within the server. Does it have to be a payout for the civs? Why not load the truck with drugs or guns and have the civs drive it to a rebel to unload the contents within the truck? 

There’s plenty of events that happen where civs don’t necessarily participate in it and maybe a handful try to go for it for example 

Rebel Air Drops 

Ship Wreckage

etc

Which would be no different then what’s contained within a “Evidence Convoy” except with the benefit of obtaining more money but dealing with the consequences of having armed officers protecting it. 

Let’s say this, as @Jr4life24mentioned have 1-2 LT present to start a evidence convoy, pay out for officers can be between 30,000 per officer as which can compliment the fact that we only have a certain amount of lives (1-3 max depending on what the devs would see fit) And to make it even more balanced you can only have 2 convoys per restart on top of only able being able to start it with 7 officers online. And I’m sure that LTs would want to start it on a time where the server player count is high as it would make it more entertaining for all parties around. 

Edited by TheAceSavage
11 minutes ago, ObiWoki said:

Thing is that can be abused, drive past a big group of people that do nothing with the event boom payout increased but the event won't be any harder

If it can only be started by higher ups. I’d hope we/they could be trusted enough to not abuse the system. Buuuuut there is always one person who’ll ruin it for all. 

Could the cities be exclusion zones for counting players attacking the convoy? So only people outside of cities actively attacking get counted?

15 minutes ago, Austin M said:

If it can only be started by higher ups. I’d hope we/they could be trusted enough to not abuse the system. Buuuuut there is always one person who’ll ruin it for all. 

Could the cities be exclusion zones for counting players attacking the convoy? So only people outside of cities actively attacking get counted?

Theres too many ifs that make this unsecure enough to make it it would have to be a different system and idk what it should be therefor its not in the game

1 hour ago, Austin M said:

I doubt an LT would abuse this. Our current line up definitely wouldn’t. And no way would someone ever get away with it either. I can’t really see a way an event like this that would need X amount of cops/civs to start, would have LTs sneakily starting it for their own free payouts and have it not be easily seen and reported. That would be such a rare case. And when it did happen it would be reported and dealt with accordingly. Then that LT wouldn’t be able to start it again since they wouldn’t be an LT anymore. Then they wouldn’t be able to ruin it for anyone again. Corruption moment 💀

I also doubt an LT would risk their rank they’ve taken 6+ months to get for the chance at a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of payouts before we noticed. 

Point though, is that’s super unlikely to happen, let alone get away with. The problem definitely isn’t us, it’s how would we get civs to come to the event more often than not tbh. 

Savage. and zdeat like this
2 hours ago, Austin M said:

I feel like this would be a charge we would manually give people and not something added automatically. 

1 hour ago, Sandwich said:

Point though, is that’s super unlikely to happen, let alone get away with. The problem definitely isn’t us, it’s how would we get civs to come to the event more often than not tbh

Incentivize them by making this pay more than a bank but not as much as a fed or mental. Cop payout for this wouldn’t be nearly as much. Give ample time to allow civs to know what’s happening, throw a notification out that the event is starting just how a notification goes out for SWAT, big and noticeable. Could be something like ”The APD is loading a tempest full of evidence at “xxx” HQ. Take control of the vehicle and bring it to “xxx” location for a payout / contraband. The tempest will leave HQ in xxx minutes.”

I think this would almost have to be coded and made sure that there have to be more than 50 civs online to be able to start, and I feel that would help with civs coming to the event. 
Maybe have a policy saying that this event can only be started so often and would be locked for a while, ( once every week, day or restart ).

Sandwich likes this
On 2/21/2023 at 10:01 AM, TheAceSavage said:

Please do, I wanna get everyone’s input on the matter within a few days I will edit and revise it hopefully giving the devs a full blueprint to the event 

So, here is what I've had. This was after a little bit of thinking but I still have some balance concerns myself, such as what if civs pull 5 minigun quillins or other civs who will randomly come and VDM etc.

Cop Evidence - Priority #2, (Under Evidence, above mental) would have a payout between Evidence lockup/Mental Asylum. (Roughly 1m+ loot table, could even look into potential for Zafir etc.) 

Two separate routes would be available, civs must be required to take it to a drop off point in order to access materials inside. (still unsure how to flesh this out fully)

• Either Dump HQ -> Pygros HQ with a civ drop off point of Athira Rebel.
  • Evidence Lockup -> Kavala Checkpoint with a civ drop off point near Kavala Rebel. 

Civilians are provided a 5-8 minute warning that a police convoy event is starting. The civs will not be provided what route but common knowledge that both routes must past through the center of the map. 

Requirements to start - 2 LT+, (They're essentially a gangs R2, makes sense that they should be the one leading/able to do it.) 10 cops and 60-80 civilians. - Reason being, this is meant to be a cop sided federal event that when pulled will want to entice players of all variety to attend and attempt to steal. Given the access that civs have with 50s, quillins etc, we want to ensure the APD has access to all equipment to protect.

Convoy vehicle itself will be one/(two separate) tempest repairs (with the loot split 50/50) allowing APD to keep their vehicles moving and fixed up. Convoy itself will be a moving red zone only for those who are engaging the APD, not for random civs near by. (Assume proper use of force policy.)

Payout for cops I'm unsure about, assuming roughly 1m split so about 100k per cop if successful, less of a payout if more cops attend.

Sandwich and Savage. like this

I wasn't going to say anything because I'm not really bothered if this gets added, given it will be trendy for about a week and then will happen once a generation thereafter. But it seems to be getting mentioned a lot so I would bring up these issues:

• Isn't the biggest complaints from cops these days that they are stuck always doing back-to-back federal events when the server is busier? Why would they be motivated to just add another to the list? If there are 10 cops, including 2 LTs on, chances are the events are just gonna get started again as soon as the cooldown is over.
  • Locking it behind 10 cops and minimum 2 LTs is gonna make it very rare - including for the reason said above. It also has the potential for an incredible variance in difficulty. One day, 4/5 different gangs of 6+ people will fight over it, another literally nobody on the server will care. How could you possibly balance the payout of risk/reward for that?
  • Your list of "the only things [you] can do" is the entire point of the APD as a roleplay faction. Combat is instigated by rebels and responded to by the police, that's the objective. Why should the APD be reducing its RP contribution to the server? What value does this add?
  • How do you allocate SWAT? Considering there's no way of measuring who will attack, how do you propose to narrow the firepower gap?
  • One VDM and it's all over. Also one RPG/vest/speedbomb/remote and it's all over. That truck is gonna look enticing from the cockpit of a buzzard

This sounds like it would be a fun admin event. But I can't think of any way to make the proposals in this thread happen as they are presented.

Edited by Michael L
Savage. likes this
41 minutes ago, Michael L said:

I wasn't going to say anything because I'm not really bothered if this gets added, given it will be trendy for about a week and then will happen once a generation thereafter. But it seems to be getting mentioned a lot so I would bring up these issues:

• Isn't the biggest complaints from cops these days that they are stuck always doing back-to-back federal events when the server is busier? Why would they be motivated to just add another to the list? If there are 10 cops, including 2 LTs on, chances are the events are just gonna get started again as soon as the cooldown is over.
  • Locking it behind 10 cops and minimum 2 LTs is gonna make it very rare - including for the reason said above. It also has the potential for an incredible variance in difficulty. One day, 4/5 different gangs of 6+ people will fight over it, another literally nobody on the server will care. How could you possibly balance the payout of risk/reward for that?
  • Your list of "the only things [you] can do" is the entire point of the APD as a roleplay faction. Combat is instigated by rebels and responded to by the police, that's the objective. Why should the APD be reducing its RP contribution to the server? What value does this add?
  • How do you allocate SWAT? Considering there's no way of measuring who will attack, how do you propose to narrow the firepower gap?
  • One VDM and it's all over. Also one RPG/vest/speedbomb/remote and it's all over. That truck is gonna look enticing from the cockpit of a buzzard

This sounds like it would be a fun admin event. But I can't think of any way to make the proposals in this thread happen as they are presented.

Thank you for this input! There’s some questions here that can be answered and other would have to be planned out but you brought up some good points. But at the end of the day nothing will ever be perfect in Asylum, theirs many ways people can either exploit an event or even make it unplayable at times

Question: Isn't the biggest complaints from cops these days that they are stuck always doing back-to-back federal events when the server is busier? Why would they be motivated to just add another to the list? If there are 10 cops, including 2 LTs on, chances are the events are just gonna get started again as soon as the cooldown is over.

Answer: As a career cop that spends a majority of my day playing as a constable I’ll say this much, yes it can be over whelming having fed events spammed but it hasn’t been as relentless as it has in the past people tend to switch it up here’s an example yesterday (I was on from 3:30 PM EST til 10:30 PM EST) we had about 3-4 events  done within that time frame which all were different from Bank, prison break, and shipment. So the whole idea that adding a cop sided event is a bad idea due to other events isn’t a good way to look at it, at the end of the day our job as the APD is interact with players and make it a more enjoyable experience for them. Community involvement is the biggest thing this community needs to focus on (in my opinion) adding another event to the table is doing just that. This would be the first ever event that can be triggered for the APD I don’t think it would die off as it provides much more content within the APD 

Question: Locking it behind 10 cops and minimum 2 LTs is gonna make it very rare - including for the reason said above. It also has the potential for an incredible variance in difficulty. One day, 4/5 different gangs of 6+ people will fight over it, another literally nobody on the server will care. How could you possibly balance the payout of risk/reward for that?

Answer: We do have LTs and CPT that play often as they’re requirements must be met, it may not be an everyday thing but it does happen and especially with how often training gets hosted now I doubt this would be much of an issue. This can easily be fixed by simply putting materials inside the hemmet instead of doing a payout for civs like bank they would then take the hemmet to a rebel and pull out the materials from the hemmet to sell directly to the NPC this would entice the gangs to fight over it or ally with each other which creates a more entertaining experience for all parties involved. (In my opinion) 

Question: Your list of "the only things [you] can do" is the entire point of the APD as a roleplay faction. Combat is instigated by rebels and responded to by the police, that's the objective. Why should the APD be reducing its RP contribution to the server? What value does this add?

Answer: Community involvement, the APD has had admin events that are similar if not exactly like this event, and the involvement within the community was boosted, it may have not been prefect as this was a new and innovated event but over all gangs around asylum all went for the convoy as it provided them something to do. 

Question: How do you allocate SWAT? Considering there's no way of measuring who will attack, how do you propose to narrow the firepower gap?

Answer: This is a really good question and something we’ll have to work around to think it through, can’t give you the perfect answer for this as it’s something that a dev would have to work around to figure out as they’re the ones that know the coding inside and out. 

Question: One VDM and it's all over. Also one RPG/vest/speedbomb/remote and it's all over. That truck is gonna look enticing from the cockpit of a buzzard

Answer: Yes this may be true but they risk the factor of being banned, with one clear message on the rules of the event may help deter those that wish to troll and end the event. It’s no different then having someone blow up a police ifrit full of bank robbers that are being taken to HQ or someone that automatically flies a heli directly into another heli full of APD members as they’re about to hot drop on the roof of bank again Asylum will never be perfect as somethings can’t be helped, unless the devs can make the Hemmet un-distructible.

At the end of the day, this is something a majority of the community wants to be implemented that’s why it’s been mentioned multiple times on the forums and the reason I created a poll. In thought it’s easier to imagine “but when you hand a piece of paper to the person coming up with the idea then it becomes harder” - @Patato 

but overall thanks for bringing these questions up we need more of them to help the devs come up with better ideas 

On 2/24/2023 at 6:11 AM, TheAceSavage said:

“but when you hand a piece of paper to the person coming up with the idea then it becomes harder” - @Patato 

Most of my disdain for the convoy event comes from having hosted it a number of times as an Admin event. I tried it long before I ever became a contributor and have tried it since becoming a dev. @Gen. Henry ArnoldEven had a script at one time for it

I want to list out the issues I faced and the solutions I came up with, as in theory it seems like a simple event. Convoy V1 Spawn a few vehicles put some gold/guns in a truck. Gather up APD officers and have them drive around for a bit. Send out admin message with their location/route.

Admin Issues

• I was Banning 2-3 people per event for VDM. A single bad actor with a drug runner plane completely destroys the event meaning i had to manually re-spawn what was lost or restart the event.
  • Accidental VDM. (It does happen, lots of vehicles moving)
  • Convoy would constantly De-sync and explode
  • APD officers seemed to struggle with the fact that it was meant to be an event and drove past any conflict they possibly could. Very rarely would they even drop out of the armor on any threat. TLDR Just a major disconnect between what I expected from the APD. (Staying in a semi realistic formation until attacked, RPing unloading the convoy goods. Dropping on threats.) Its fair because they wanted to "Win" but using the most optimal arma 3 strategy for convoying often isn't the most fun for Civs. 

Dev Issues

The trouble I have is automating it to where APD can run it themselves without an Admin present as I faced the following challenges,

• It was a lot of "Dungeon Mastering", Often the convoy wouldn't be attacked or would only be attacked by a single guy with an RPG/Suicide vest. So I was having to spawn gear and essentially TP rebels and organize the ambush myself.
    • This could be solved by some sort of OPT in (Like pressing 9 for battle royale) spawn  civs in a known location the convoy is going. give them some gear and toss them all in a group together. The civs will still shoot each other because red = dead and War rating is #1 but good enough i guess
  • Dungeon Mastering continued....
    • I was constantly destroying the convoy's tires/creating object road blocks to slow the convoy down so they wouldn't just drive past everyone. 
      • This is fixed by locations the convoy must go to and having them sit in a radius for a set amount of time. Thus giving the chance for rebels to ambush/attack
      • Also giving all Civs the location of the main convoy vehicle via updating map marker
      • Randomly giving the convoy vehicle a flat tire a few times 🙂
  • Suicide Vests/RPGs
    • In V1 i had rules like no suicide vesting or else the loot would be destroyed. Naturally the event is pretty lame when a hatchback sport pulls up beside the vehicle and just detonates a vest and we all go home.  (This rule didn't stop rebels as they didn't care about the loot they just wanted to kill cops). So then it became a rule that you couldn't use a suicide vest on the convoy at all and every single time someone would still vest it/VDM. Obviously the answer is "Ban them" but the damage is done. The event was disrupted, my time was wasted. APD time wasted and now we just have one more banned player not playing the game.
      • This could be solved by disabling RPG's/suicide vests during the event (100% guaranteed i wont fuck this up and no bugs will happen ;3) 
  • Opportunistic Rebels
    •  The second you do this event a opportunistic group would would immediately do the highest value federal event they could knowing officers wouldn't respond. This is obviously easy to deal with as i just began disabling federal events. It led to alot of salty DM's in my discord because i was "Ruining Rebels fun" whatever that means. Eventually i started re-routing the convoys to the federal events because i wasn't about to let the rebels win a full fed without any resistance. Which would then lead to accusations of "Spawning in gear for my friends so they could win the federal event" 
      • Again not that big of a deal, disabled starting federal events while convoy event is happening. Disable my Dm's
  • Un Co-operative cops
    • i would often run the event and it was.... difficult to coordinate the APD. Often I would run the event with an  LT/Captain. Id be busy spamming commands in the console and setting up rebels while the LT/Captain would try to push a rope getting officers to listen. Inevitably the APD is about as coordinated as a drunk toddler and often the "Feeling" of the convoy was lost. Often APD officers would opt to not get in the shiny vehicle I gave them, instead preferring to take the most random UC vehicle in an attempt to "Get free frags" on unsuspecting civs. They would also often refuse to put more than one person in a vehicle as "You don't drop as fast" (Again fair) but oddly enough ive never seen a convoy of 10 brinks trucks with only a single driver in them.
      • This was solved by forcing officers into the spawned vehicles i provided
      • Putting them in forced uniforms so they look like officers
        • Naturally this went 100% to plan and we never had higher ups giving out points to officers. (Award for dumbest way to lose their SGT rank goes too....)
    • Big Bounty's, The number of times the APD would ditch the entire event/plan to chase after some random high bounty for the payout was fun.
      • Solved by forcing Lethal's for duration of event
  • Reinforcing
    • Obviously rebels die, alot harder for rebels to get back in the fight than for a cop to hit re-gear and hatchback back
      • I think this could be solved again by the opt in thing. I would just respawn you to the next ambush point with gear as a civ
    • For cops, It felt a bit unfair how fast they were able to come back. Smash the re-gear button and head back in a hatchback sport now with a nice flank on the enemies. 
      • Probably solved by just longer re-spawn timers? Could also just hold them in purgatory until the convoy reached a pre-determined destination and the cops would then be automatically re-spawned with gear inside convoy vehicles

I could go on but i think you guys get the point, Its a difficult event to code to the point of 0 admin intervention (Atleast at my skill level), For me its a lot easier to put a crate with loot in some base, TP cops there and have the civs assault the compound with spawned gear. 10x less effort 10x less bans. Generally people had more fun and thus is why i stopped messing with the convoy event and did more assault based admin events 

This post isn't to say we will never do it, but just to say I have worked on it. Here is what I'm up against.
Sandwich, Savage., Jr4life24 and 1 other like this
2 hours ago, Patato said:

Most of my disdain for the convoy event comes from having hosted it a number of times as an Admin event. I tried it long before I ever became a contributor and have tried it since becoming a dev. @Gen. Henry ArnoldEven had a script at one time for it

I want to list out the issues I faced and the solutions I came up with, as in theory it seems like a simple event. Convoy V1 Spawn a few vehicles put some gold/guns in a truck. Gather up APD officers and have them drive around for a bit. Send out admin message with their location/route.

Admin Issues

• I was Banning 2-3 people per event for VDM. A single bad actor with a drug runner plane completely destroys the event meaning i had to manually re-spawn what was lost or restart the event.
  • Accidental VDM. (It does happen, lots of vehicles moving)
  • Convoy would constantly De-sync and explode
  • APD officers seemed to struggle with the fact that it was meant to be an event and drove past any conflict they possibly could. Very rarely would they even drop out of the armor on any threat. TLDR Just a major disconnect between what I expected from the APD. (Staying in a semi realistic formation until attacked, RPing unloading the convoy goods. Dropping on threats.) Its fair because they wanted to "Win" but using the most optimal arma 3 strategy for convoying often isn't the most fun for Civs. 

Dev Issues

The trouble I have is automating it to where APD can run it themselves without an Admin present as I faced the following challenges,

• It was a lot of "Dungeon Mastering", Often the convoy wouldn't be attacked or would only be attacked by a single guy with an RPG/Suicide vest. So I was having to spawn gear and essentially TP rebels and organize the ambush myself.
    • This could be solved by some sort of OPT in (Like pressing 9 for battle royale) spawn  civs in a known location the convoy is going. give them some gear and toss them all in a group together. The civs will still shoot each other because red = dead and War rating is #1 but good enough i guess
  • Dungeon Mastering continued....
    • I was constantly destroying the convoy's tires/creating object road blocks to slow the convoy down so they wouldn't just drive past everyone. 
      • This is fixed by locations the convoy must go to and having them sit in a radius for a set amount of time. Thus giving the chance for rebels to ambush/attack
      • Also giving all Civs the location of the main convoy vehicle via updating map marker
      • Randomly giving the convoy vehicle a flat tire a few times 🙂
  • Suicide Vests/RPGs
    • In V1 i had rules like no suicide vesting or else the loot would be destroyed. Naturally the event is pretty lame when a hatchback sport pulls up beside the vehicle and just detonates a vest and we all go home.  (This rule didn't stop rebels as they didn't care about the loot they just wanted to kill cops). So then it became a rule that you couldn't use a suicide vest on the convoy at all and every single time someone would still vest it/VDM. Obviously the answer is "Ban them" but the damage is done. The event was disrupted, my time was wasted. APD time wasted and now we just have one more banned player not playing the game.
      • This could be solved by disabling RPG's/suicide vests during the event (100% guaranteed i wont fuck this up and no bugs will happen ;3) 
  • Opportunistic Rebels
    •  The second you do this event a opportunistic group would would immediately do the highest value federal event they could knowing officers wouldn't respond. This is obviously easy to deal with as i just began disabling federal events. It led to alot of salty DM's in my discord because i was "Ruining Rebels fun" whatever that means. Eventually i started re-routing the convoys to the federal events because i wasn't about to let the rebels win a full fed without any resistance. Which would then lead to accusations of "Spawning in gear for my friends so they could win the federal event" 
      • Again not that big of a deal, disabled starting federal events while convoy event is happening. Disable my Dm's
  • Un Co-operative cops
    • i would often run the event and it was.... difficult to coordinate the APD. Often I would run the event with an  LT/Captain. Id be busy spamming commands in the console and setting up rebels while the LT/Captain would try to push a rope getting officers to listen. Inevitably the APD is about as coordinated as a drunk toddler and often the "Feeling" of the convoy was lost. Often APD officers would opt to not get in the shiny vehicle I gave them, instead preferring to take the most random UC vehicle in an attempt to "Get free frags" on unsuspecting civs. They would also often refuse to put more than one person in a vehicle as "You don't drop as fast" (Again fair) but oddly enough ive never seen a convoy of 10 brinks trucks with only a single driver in them.
      • This was solved by forcing officers into the spawned vehicles i provided
      • Putting them in forced uniforms so they look like officers
        • Naturally this went 100% to plan and we never had higher ups giving out points to officers. (Award for dumbest way to lose their SGT rank goes too....)
    • Big Bounty's, The number of times the APD would ditch the entire event/plan to chase after some random high bounty for the payout was fun.
      • Solved by forcing Lethal's for duration of event
  • Reinforcing
    • Obviously rebels die, alot harder for rebels to get back in the fight than for a cop to hit re-gear and hatchback back
      • I think this could be solved again by the opt in thing. I would just respawn you to the next ambush point with gear as a civ
    • For cops, It felt a bit unfair how fast they were able to come back. Smash the re-gear button and head back in a hatchback sport now with a nice flank on the enemies. 
      • Probably solved by just longer re-spawn timers? Could also just hold them in purgatory until the convoy reached a pre-determined destination and the cops would then be automatically re-spawned with gear inside convoy vehicles

I could go on but i think you guys get the point, Its a difficult event to code to the point of 0 admin intervention (Atleast at my skill level), For me its a lot easier to put a crate with loot in some base, TP cops there and have the civs assault the compound with spawned gear. 10x less effort 10x less bans. Generally people had more fun and thus is why i stopped messing with the convoy event and did more assault based admin events 

This post isn't to say we will never do it, but just to say I have worked on it. Here is what I'm up against.

I can see how this is a nightmare for any developer to code in as theirs to many variables and factors that come into play with this event, as you mentioned its almost impossible to have this event to this level without any admin intervention. So the number one question with all of this is it even possible to create such event? With the amount of time and resources needed for a project this big is it even worth it? And this goes for the APD as well with the LTs and CPTs that would have to come into play with this considering how most of the APD is in organizing and orchestrating an event in general 

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

Now even thought most people agree with this post the last thing I'd want is to put you guys in a position of stress and create more headaches then what you guys already deal with some of the brain dead people within this community. 

Edited by TheAceSavage