Why does Asylum not really like RP?

For many players Asylum is the community to start their RP adventure, get used to RP rules and move on to hardcore RP servers. Many players also treat Asylum like Wasteland server without shoot-on-site ability. There are players who just chill in here, have fun, talk to each other without big character background etc. but they try not to break rp. Asylum is specific, and it has it's own cute style, don't fix things that are not broken. :) 

Put simply, one of the core elements of Asylum's success has always been accessibility. That's why they were so reluctant to use mods, that's why the rules are kept simple (relatively simple anyway), that's why content is kept straightforward, and that's why it isn't a whitelisted community.

However this pursuit of accessibility comes with some downsides: lower expectations. You can't expect someone who just bought arma because it was on sale 20 minutes ago to have a nuanced understanding of life server rules and RP conventions. So Asylum has chosen to keep things simple, eschew the massive rule books and stringent role play guidelines of other, more RP centric communities and instead focus on providing a simple, straightforward experience. 

With the more permissive rules, you get players who wouldn't normally play life servers. People who enjoy the high quality, small arms infantry combat and the asymmetrical game play but aren't all that interested in RP; With many people who dislike it altogether, as it is usually more of an impediment to their playstyle than an enjoyable gameplay facet. As time has gone on, this way of playing has become more popular and at this point I'd say it has become the most prevalent way to play Asylum. As a result, content, rules, and the overall zeitgeist of the community have shifted more in that direction. 

As someone who rather enjoys RP, that fact used to bother me. But as time has gone on, I can see why people feel that way. The vast majority of RP, even (and perhaps especially) on servers that focus on it highly, is boring and regularly irritating. It runs the gamut from the obnoxiously legalistic (nuh-uh, nuh-uh, you don't know my name, I never told you my name. REPORTED) to the poorly constructed, obligatory make-believe stories told to cops. So to distill it down, in so many cases RP isn't functioning as intended. It isn't informing the combat or creating unique and memorable player interactions, instead it's the box that must be checked before violence can occur or the compulsory rehashing of tired excuses for crimes. It's become extraneous to the gameplay. You aren't acting as a consistent character enacting your own story, you're playing an open world game with occasional bursts of incoherent fiction.

So when you combine the sorry state of RP in general with a playerbase that wasn't particularly inclined towards roleplay to begin with, you understand why Asylum is generally lighter on the RP. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure it would be great if people were more interested in creating their own characters and making memorable experiences for themselves and others, but even if they don't, it doesn't fundamentally detract from the quality of the Asylum experience. Those are my two cents anyway.

TL;DR: People don't necessarily hate RP, they just aren't really that interested. Most prefer combat and since Asylum does that really well, they tolerate the RP requirements. With the poor quality of RP in Arma 3 in general, people's indifference towards RP becomes aversion. 

Bikstok, Vash, Maaqs and 12 others like this

RP is not a one way street.

In order for it to be viable, both parties have to participate equally. If one party does not participate, then you have an issue.

Then you go into the aspect of "fail RP" where you're gonna have reports filling the forums faster than constables/cpls filling their mouths with cum during promotion time.

If someone doesn't RP the way you want them too (much like kidnapping cops back in the day w/o blindfolds) you're gonna have reports. If someone is just being a cunt, and you slip out of character for a moment, reported. People think the salt in sidechat and reports are plentiful now? You have no idea. This would cause more reports than 10 Stratis servers on free weekend. 

Not only that, many people just are flat fuck not creative enough to even come up with something decent, myself included. There are some amazing people out there, like Mr 9mm, but those are few and far between

The extent of my RP is casual banter/jokes with cops. Maybe some shitty over used story. And occasionally I become a mascot for Mortons. 

In the end, Arma is a combat driven game, but the community will make it what they want it to be. 

Sure if you want combat you can go play KOTH or wasteland, but theirs nothing enjoyable about sitting in a tower for 2 hrs with 20fps getting pepperd with Navids/Cyrus/Lynxs.

Most of the community enjoy the combat Asylum has to offer because it requires some skill. It may not be a whole lot, but certainly more than using something such as a Lynx + LRPS. 

Mike Stmria, Maaqs and Big Bird like this
24 minutes ago, Buckwalter said:

Put simply, one of the core elements of Asylum's success has always been accessibility. That's why they were so reluctant to use mods, that's why the rules are kept simple (relatively simple anyway), that's why content is kept straightforward, and that's why it isn't a whitelisted community.

However this pursuit of accessibility comes with some downsides: lower expectations. You can't expect someone who just bought arma because it was on sale 20 minutes ago to have a nuanced understanding of life server rules and RP conventions. So Asylum has chosen to keep things simple, eschew the massive rule books and stringent role play guidelines of other, more RP centric communities and instead focus on providing a simple, straightforward experience. 

With the more permissive rules, you get players who wouldn't normally play life servers. People who enjoy the high quality, small arms infantry combat and the asymmetrical game play but aren't all that interested in RP; With many people who dislike it altogether, as it is usually more of an impediment to their playstyle than an enjoyable gameplay facet. As time has gone on, this way of playing has become more popular and at this point I'd say it has become the most prevalent way to play Asylum. As a result, content, rules, and the overall zeitgeist of the community have shifted more in that direction. 

As someone who rather enjoys RP, that fact used to bother me. But as time has gone on, I can see why people feel that way. The vast majority of RP, even (and perhaps especially) on servers that focus on it highly, is boring and regularly irritating. It runs the gamut from the obnoxiously legalistic (nuh-uh, nuh-uh, you don't know my name, I never told you my name. REPORTED) to the poorly constructed, obligatory make-believe stories told to cops. So to distill it down, in so many cases RP isn't functioning as intended. It isn't informing the combat or creating unique and memorable player interactions, instead it's the box that must be checked before violence can occur or the compulsory rehashing of tired excuses for crimes. It's become extraneous to the gameplay. You aren't acting as a consistent character enacting your own story, you're playing an open world game with occasional bursts of incoherent fiction.

So when you combine the sorry state of RP in general with a playerbase that wasn't particularly inclined towards roleplay to begin with, you understand why Asylum is generally lighter on the RP. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure it would be great if people were more interested in creating their own characters and making memorable experiences for themselves and others, but even if they don't, it doesn't fundamentally detract from the quality of the Asylum experience. Those are my two cents anyway.

TL;DR: People don't necessarily hate RP, they just aren't really that interested. Most prefer combat and since Asylum does that really well, they tolerate the RP requirements. With the poor quality of RP in Arma 3 in general, people's indifference towards RP becomes aversion. 

i love your wordings. so so so true

Eric916 and Buckwalter like this
3 hours ago, HomeTrlx said:

Okay, sorry they changed it a bit for more Rp, but most of the players are cartel/rebel orientated.

Its always been like that and changing it would be stupid imo.

The point of the mod is to rp. It doesn't change because the admins don't care enough to monitor the server. But they do want your donation money.

2 hours ago, Buckwalter said:

This doesn't make sense. If people aren't interested in rp why don't they play one of the many mods that aren't rp.

Furnie Mack and Karl Lennox like this
1 hour ago, Gnashes said:

The funny part is; we and Bamf have actually made the server require a bit MORE roleplay since we took over (compliance clause).

That i think was good actually, before it was *Message recieved from adminnovative*  - "1...2...3 you're dead" *Shot in the head*

1 hour ago, Minde Class said:

This doesn't make sense. If people aren't interested in rp why don't they play one of the many mods that aren't rp.

Because in other game modes you have retards with a lynx sitting 1km out sniping into towers and navids spraying everything that moves. On asylum, there is alot of combat but also combined with some rp. I personally don't much care to RP some over used bullshit story to get out of a ticket, I'll rp if someone else tries but half the cops on the APD robocop you and sell money. I would much rather log on and shoot people and have fun, whether it be cartel fights, fighting cops, bounty hunters, or robbing someone. 

9 hours ago, Karl Lennox said:

the staff doesn't enforce it..youre either in a RP server RPING or ur not..whats light RP?  u are acting out life or not. simple

First, the staff absolutely does enforce the existing RP rules. And the overwhelming majority of the community abides by those rules. 

And to answer your question about the nature of light RP, here are some examples:

Not getting removed from cop for playing rebel with your friends for 20 minutes. 

Absence of NLR and "Fail RP" policies. 

Low RP threshold for initiation

Not engaging in the tyranny of the "realistic" e.g. 8 hour jail times, enforcing real world traffic laws etc

Light RP also allows players the freedom to decide their own level of effort. If they choose to put in a lot of effort and really get creative, great. If they aren't that interested or particularly good at that sort of thing, that's fine too. Everyone does what their level of interest, motivation, and improv ability will allow.

I think it boils down to a change of community for the most part.  back in the day, i'd say around the time the big streamers were playing Asylum when there was only two or three servers, there was a lot of RP and the players coming in were attracted to the RP on the server and how there could be fun and hilarious but still challenging moments that Asylum could offer.  Now a lot of players who are coming to Asylum are attracted to the competitive lifestyle that gangs bring in which is fine but the downside is that gang don't really roleplay.  If they're not fighting cartels, they are doing banks, prison breaks and so on and usually not too many gangs have any interest at all in roleplaying with anyone.  Asylum does kinda allow it though because you can do all the things I listed above and not have too many roleplay interactions with anyone other than trying to get out of going to jail.

On the cop side of thing, it's not as bad as being a cop does require you to roleplay but it is still far different from what players were seeing a while back.  There's plenty of reasons, cops got tired of getting killed while trying to interact with people, some cops are just playing for money and also from a practical point of view, it can be pointless to roleplay when instead you can be hunting down bounties and getting money.

Another thing i'd also like to add is Asylum has taken risk versus reward a bit too far, I don't want the game to be easy by ANY means.  But too much risk means players will not take chances with other players by interacting with them, which means they are just going to kill each other or simply avoid one another.  Risk are fun but when there's too many or too much at stake, most players are going to take the path of least resistance which means killing each other off to save their own hides.  Still I think the biggest contributing factor is the change in community and the players mindsets coming in but there's a little bit of blame to go around in almost every aspect of Asylum.

Eric916 and Buckwalter like this
12 hours ago, Paratus said:

RDM is a serious matter for us, but when you have 5 large servers it's quite difficult to monitor it constantly. This is why we rely on reports unless one of us happens to be there.

No point in us wasting our time with reports when the player is VERY LIKELY to be unbanned before their little 3 day vacation is even over, just to go right back into the servers as a toxic asshole. I love Asylum but I've never seen a community with more asshole and toxic people in the 18 years I've been part of gaming communities, something Asylum seems to be deeply proud of.

Not to mention the ridiculous policy of not letting those who take the time to help the community by reporting these players know what happened, only to be told "it's none of your business". What a load of shit that is, you expect us to police the community yet it's 'none of our business' if our time was wasted or not. The excuse that it's because you don't want people to feel like they got revenge for getting a person banned is nonsense, I'm 31..I don't give a FUCK about revenge or getting someone banned out of spite and being told otherwise is stupid, what I care about is a less toxic community.

Edited by Furnie Mack
Sheriff Rick Grimes likes this

1 hour ago, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

I think it boils down to a change of community for the most part.  back in the day, i'd say around the time the big streamers were playing Asylum when there was only two or three servers, there was a lot of RP and the players coming in were attracted to the RP on the server and how there could be fun and hilarious but still challenging moments that Asylum could offer.  Now a lot of players who are coming to Asylum are attracted to the competitive lifestyle that gangs bring in which is fine but the downside is that gang don't really roleplay.  If they're not fighting cartels, they are doing banks, prison breaks and so on and usually not too many gangs have any interest at all in roleplaying with anyone.  Asylum does kinda allow it though because you can do all the things I listed above and not have too many roleplay interactions with anyone other than trying to get out of going to jail.

On the cop side of thing, it's not as bad as being a cop does require you to roleplay but it is still far different from what players were seeing a while back.  There's plenty of reasons, cops got tired of getting killed while trying to interact with people, some cops are just playing for money and also from a practical point of view, it can be pointless to roleplay when instead you can be hunting down bounties and getting money.

Another thing i'd also like to add is Asylum has taken risk versus reward a bit too far, I don't want the game to be easy by ANY means.  But too much risk means players will not take chances with other players by interacting with them, which means they are just going to kill each other or simply avoid one another.  Risk are fun but when there's too many or too much at stake, most players are going to take the path of least resistance which means killing each other off to save their own hides.  Still I think the biggest contributing factor is the change in community and the players mindsets coming in but there's a little bit of blame to go around in almost every aspect of Asylum.

Very good point. I feel like it's really a War Server rather than an RP server at all. Like you said Gangs do cartels, arms, banks, and prison breaks. Gangs? More like multi-national Criminal Masterminds. Gangs run drugs in the streets etc this is like full on Private Military Organizations. I mean don't get me wrong I like rebel life but it is not RP promoting in any way. I understand this is one of the things that makes Asylum what it is and it's not going to change. But being so Gang/Cartel/War oriented, RP is really out the window for the most part. Only thing rebels RP for is to initiate to kill. 

And RISK is WAAAAAAAY TOO HIGH OMFG:

I logged in earlier today and was at Pyrgos DMV. I spawned in with people all around me had a 13k bounty. I ran away immediately and hid behind a wall said whatsup guys?

they ran towards me with guns out I said hands up or die they keep running at me and I kill them. 

Couldn't RP in any way (besides aggressively) with them cuz if I even try to talk nicely to them I'd probably get downed and lose my Gun, Ammo, Scope, License. Or worse, get killed and lose my Weapons, Clothes, Defib, painkillers, redgulls, blood bags, lockpicks, zip ties, mk's, and misc water n shit.

So I can risk losing ALL that and take 20 min running around re-buying everything and possibly getting fucked over during that process just for 2 seconds of RP?

So there is no point in RPing at all your best bet is to kill or avoid everyone.

Basically I log on and leave half the time cuz the risk is just not worth the fun im gonna have I may have a little fun but likely im just gonna get pissed and not have fun.

In conclusion, I don't think there is any solution that will fix things sadly. if things get more RP strict people are going to leave. If things stay so RISKY people will get tired of losing everything they work for and leave. 

Edited by Eric916
On 6/18/2016 at 5:20 AM, Buckwalter said:

Well said Buckwalter. The simple answer is that we acknowledge that a vanilla ArmA 3 Life server can't compete with the immersive roleplay of modded servers. Players who enjoy roleplay will always prefer the more immersive environment, so instead Asylum caters to a mix between those people who purchased ArmA 3 for the Mil-sim aspects, and those who want a taste of what modding can offer.

Identity is our solution to the modded server. Our original plan was to be the first modded Life community, and we quickly changed focus as we realized we had the resources to take it a step further.

Believe it or not, Asylum has an identity crisis, where it still wants to be a roleplay community, but is also really proud of the competitive environment that has sprung up from gang warfare. There is just something there that the RP aspect adds to gang warfare that you can't find in normal PVP servers. Take Wasteland or King of the Hill for instance. A victory with your friends feels less meaningful there than in a persistent world where you know your actions have had an impact on the community and its political landscape.

Robbo and Buckwalter like this
49 minutes ago, Motown said:

Well said Buckwalter. The simple answer is that we acknowledge that a vanilla ArmA 3 Life server can't compete with the immersive roleplay of modded servers. Players who enjoy roleplay will always prefer the more immersive environment, so instead Asylum caters to a mix between those people who purchased ArmA 3 for the Mil-sim aspects, and those who want a taste of what modding can offer.

Identity is our solution to the modded server. Our original plan was to be the first modded Life community, and we quickly changed focus as we realized we had the resources to take it a step further.

Believe it or not, Asylum has an identity crisis, where it still wants to be a roleplay community, but is also really proud of the competitive environment that has sprung up from gang warfare. There is just something there that the RP aspect adds to gang warfare that you can't find in normal PVP servers. Take Wasteland or King of the Hill for instance. A victory with your friends feels less meaningful there than in a persistent world where you know your actions have had an impact on the community and its political landscape.

To Increase RP,

you must unban SFB.

sean fifty bread likes this
On 18.6.2016 at 1:41 PM, Gnashes said:

we took over

"We took over"?

On 19.6.2016 at 1:59 AM, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

True, just looking at the videosection. Most of the videos there are montages, and wow im amazing look at this triple kill, and funny gems like @MrMeatSleeve cadet montage are few 

Sheriff Rick Grimes likes this