Hiding identity

Currently as it is an undercover officer goes by their arma3 name. What I am suggesting is a way ingame to change that name to prevent any kind of metagaming such as looking at the teamspeak channel, checking the player list etc. 

This could add some actual undercover work into undercover beyond the new players that don't know it is a thing.

This feature could also be added to civ, at a high cost you could "hide" your bounty for a certain period of time by entering a custom false identity. (Charges would have to be added as a form of punishment beyond the initial cost)

Clarifying for the people that don't understand. I mean change the name above your head in game. Not the player list. I get the impression that this is possible due to the fact that you can add prefix's and suffix's. (This would probably require changing of your name to a player that is already on the server, because people will find any way to meta.)

Please keep all discussion civil, If your reasoning behind saying no is because you like the ability to metagame you should probably keep your comment to yourself. 

Edited by Legit
Corgi and Ren Zero like this
11 minutes ago, Legit said:

Currently as it is an undercover officer goes by their arma3 name. What I am suggesting is a way ingame to change that name to prevent any kind of metagaming such as looking at the teamspeak channel, checking the player list etc. 

This could add some actual undercover work into undercover beyond the new players that don't know it is a thing.

This feature could also be added to civ, at a high cost you could "hide" your bounty for a certain period of time by entering a custom false identity. (Charges would have to be added as a form of punishment beyond the initial cost)

Please keep all discussion civil, If your reasoning behind saying no is because you like the ability to metagame you should probably keep your comment to yourself. 

implying cops dont just use undercover to get carrier lites and swag clothes/vehicles

Edited by TheRealLethal
3 hours ago, Legit said:

I asked a few cops I know that try and do actual undercover work. It is basically impossible unless you pray on new players. 

Its always going to be impossible to fool players that have more than 10 hours in the game. You cant hide from the player list

Edited by TheRealLethal
4 minutes ago, TheRealLethal said:

How do you suggest you hide the player list. You can have a script that closes the display but you will always be able to see it in the lobby and on the map screen. No viable way of doing this and not needed in such a loose RP environment /thread

Well the only reason you know players name is above their head. I'm sure since the developers can add prefix's and suffix's they could also just change the name to something custom all together. Also if it is not needed, UC wouldn't be a thing. The fact that Undercovers basically do no actual Undercover work is a big problem in my opinion.

Edited by Legit
1 minute ago, AegonTargaryenTv said:

Undercover role can use improving but in regard with your suggestion player list is big obstacle. What I would like is if you could buy all variants of wepons (not just black) so it's not easy like it is now to see if someone is undercover just buy his weapon. 

Refresh, I just clarified what I mean by changing name :) 

In regards to undercover weapons, I have found that the SDAR is the closest I have found to being a truly undercover gun. For the UC slot to be effective more weapons, available at rebel outpost or of different color variants, would need to be added.

13 minutes ago, Vash said:

People could still look at the player list and see that your custom name isnt listed

2 hours ago, Legit said:

(This would probably require changing of your name to a player that is already on the server, because people will find any way to meta.)

Problem with in-game name tags is that they draw from the players name. You cannot change a players name using any scripting commands.  

You could add a conditional into the nametag script that if they are undercover to not draw from the player name variable, and instead pull from a different variable. But don't forget the name-tag script runs on every player, on every frame. It's already too bloated as it is.  

As for teamspeak peeking, it's wicked easy for an undercover to simply change their TS name.  

The biggest problem is looking at the player list, there is no way to fool the blue icon to be purple. 

3 minutes ago, sakha said:

they should make hidden undercover slot in civ section (so they appear as a civ at the player list), that way people can't find out.

That's probably impossible without modding.

All undercover needs is rebel guns. Let them buy 7.62 for 15k each. The tell of an undercover is always the gun because they literally never have 7.62.

Also yeah, lots of undercovers pull up to drug fields in decked out rebel gear, c-lite, etc, and that's just not realistic. Stick on a backpack, stripy kavala clothes, and have a P07 hidden away, you'll fool even veteran players who won't even think you're on cop.

53 minutes ago, Boris said:

That's probably impossible without modding.

All undercover needs is rebel guns. Let them buy 7.62 for 15k each. The tell of an undercover is always the gun because they literally never have 7.62.

Also yeah, lots of undercovers pull up to drug fields in decked out rebel gear, c-lite, etc, and that's just not realistic. Stick on a backpack, stripy kavala clothes, and have a P07 hidden away, you'll fool even veteran players who won't even think you're on cop.

Possible, in fact I already have a system in my head, which could potentially work. With that system any civ slot could act as uc slot, but lots of other systems woulf need to be modified to fit in new uc system such as shops cop action menu, etc. And unfortunately I think it's too much work as is atm.

Edited by Pentax
11 hours ago, TheRealLethal said:

How do you suggest you hide the player list. You can have a script that closes the display but you will always be able to see it in the lobby and on the map screen. No viable way of doing this and not needed in such a loose RP environment /thread

You could actually white list civ slots with the abilities.  Only real issue would be the hex.  That would limit to see who is in the slot only in the lobby and not in game.  But as you said there will always be a way to see if the person is or is not in that slot.

3 hours ago, HotWings said:

You could actually white list civ slots with the abilities.  Only real issue would be the hex.  That would limit to see who is in the slot only in the lobby and not in game.  But as you said there will always be a way to see if the person is or is not in that slot.

That would require a reworking of almost every cop script if you wanted them to have cop abilities. 

On 7/22/2016 at 7:14 AM, Pentax said:

Believe it or not some of us actually do that, it gets pretty hard though when everyone can just open player list and be like hey that's UC.

There are a lots of us.  I roll actual undercover all the time.  Like boris said because of the gun situation 9/10 times I'm carrying an sdar.  I'd love to see UC be able to at least buy the bounty hunter mx variants.  Hell I think the APD as a whole should have access to the tan guns.  It gives us zero advantage as they're guns we already have its just a different color.

As for the original suggestion from Legit (the less legit one)...Just create another player profile.  It won't hide you from the player list but you'd be suprised how little people check the map list.  As for TS I almost never change my TS name for this reason.  Add a UC to your name and some way for other cops to figure out who you are in game.

Edited by 2legit
On 7/22/2016 at 5:02 AM, Parker said:

I thought you could do this? I remember an LT instantly changing their name above their head and saying they were actually an undercover.

This was also about a year ago and it was an admin so that could have something  to do with it.

You 100% can change a player name while in game. There are a few considerations to take care of such as the map marker, phone player list, group list...