Question about Glasses / Optics

Gatorade

So I always like to ask around this community because generally the people who answer these things are quite intelligent. I was looking around for possibly a pair of glasses that have a bit of improvement on the eyes for long LONG time spans of computer usage. I have been looking at reviews and going up and down and it seems honestly like most of the reviews for the glasses i was thinking about buying are like PAID off.

Glasses 1:

GUNNAR glasses

https://gunnar.com/product/intercept/#reviews

Pro's : Supposidly they have crazy technology that reduce the eye pains, strains, glare, and harmful UV rays whilst having a crystal lens so its not colored, and can be prescription

Con's: Its like 219 for standard, and 319 for premium and im not even quite sure what the difference is ; I also think the reviews are bull shit just by the context of the way they are composed - and i mean this in the context of the entirety of the internet in reviews. The only ones who seem to have negative comments regarding it are the reviews who are the typical douche bag that complains about everything so thats not helpful.

Question: Does anyone own a pair of these - more specifically a prescription pair? Is it worth it?

Glasses 2:

Zennie Optics glasses

http://www.zennioptical.com/beyond-uv-blue-blocker

Pro's: I bought a pair for about 30$ a few months ago just for like scratch resistant glasses since mines got fucked up, and they are very nicely made and were cheap as hell.

I really recommend this place if you need a pair

Con's: There Blue UV light technology clearly states on the bottom it doesn't exactly do what the yellow tinted ones and further advanced ones do - which I guess in the long run I would be looking for something like that

Question: Should I just go for the cheaper pair and help my eyes a little bit more? Honestly is even purchasing these worth it for my eyes, regarding the fact that I just purchased a pair thats in great shape a few months ago?

TLDR: Anyone tried gunnar glasses / have any recomendations or knowledge about Computer Glasses (Prescription)

Edited by Sugarfoot
1 hour ago, Sugarfoot said:

In my own opinion I think its a bunch of jumbo. 

The only difference I could see is if you wear glasses normally and assuming you wear prescription glasses since you were requesting information on them. I would 100% consider contacting an eye doctor and asking for their opinion.

I have a pair of prescription gunnar glasses. I have used them for like 2 years now and they do take stress off, my eyes don't get dried out or tired after gaming for a while.

The only thing that I don't like about them is that they're uncomfortable for me atleast.

If u have insurance that can pay for a pair of glasses i'd recommend gunnar if u really think ur having problems with playing games for long periods of time, 

Also I prefer to play in complete dark and Gunnars do help with that aswell. Its a little weird seeing yellowish colors for awhile but after a week you won't even realize it anymore.

ViiET likes this

The company makes marketing claims that the eyewear improves contrast and comfort, while reducing eye fatigue and visual stress, especially for people who spend many hours staring at digital displays.[8] A Pacific University research study of 36 participants did in fact find significant differences in irritation or burning of the eyes, tearing, or watery eyes, dry eyes, and tired eyes, that were each improved by Gunnar lenses versus placebo lenses. [9] The study also never tested the alternative method of simulating the effect of Gunnar lenses by simply adjusting the computer monitor's parameters such as brightness, contrast and color temperature. It is used to protect from LED artficial light. In a 2008 follow-up study the team was not able to reproduce the results of the first study, finding no difference in burning of the eyes, tearing, or watery eyes with Gunnar Optiks compared to placebo glasses.[10] The study found "[no] scientific evidence for a change in accommodation (focusing), tear volume, or electromyography of the eyelid (squinting and blinking)".[10]

If you do purchase glasses, you absolutely need to try them out before purchasing anything to test how they fit on your face.  And not just test them for 10-15 minutes, but you need prolonged usage to determine how they work for you (2-3 hours minimum).  For me personally, Gunnars gave me a headache after 30-45 minutes of use due to the slight magnification they have.

5 hours ago, Legit said:

In my own opinion I think its a bunch of jumbo. 

The only difference I could see is if you wear glasses normally and assuming you wear prescription glasses since you were requesting information on them. I would 100% consider contacting an eye doctor and asking for their opinion.

Yeah I was going to get a multitude of opinions, but i honestly think its jumbo too.

3 hours ago, ViiET said:

https://justgetflux.com/ its a free program which is similar to gunnars. 

What exactly does it to, tint the color of the screen?

2 hours ago, speed said:

This. You don't need fancy glasses. All they do is filter out the blue light that causes eye strain. Flux does the same thing, but it's free and adjustable.

I run Flux at work and at home, and it helps tremendously.

How long do you use the computer a day if you dont mind? Just for an idea if this flux program is something i should try. I dont have tremendous strain but id rather start precaution now then when its bad again like it was during finals.

1 hour ago, DaQuan said:

If you do purchase glasses, you absolutely need to try them out before purchasing anything to test how they fit on your face.  And not just test them for 10-15 minutes, but you need prolonged usage to determine how they work for you (2-3 hours minimum).  For me personally, Gunnars gave me a headache after 30-45 minutes of use due to the slight magnification they have.

Can't test or refund the prescription ones and there like 219 - 319$ minimum : { , thats why I really wanted to get some real opinions. Seems like im better off ordering a cheaper pair from the company i like for like 30$ with UV protection and run this flux program

2 hours ago, Pentax said:

Normal gunnars for me actually makes it worse than help. But you every singlr person is different when it comes to these kind of things.

Probably not worth the money risk. Thank you

3 hours ago, Actaea said:

You know I had a feeling that was 90% of it.

@Everyone Thank you for your time replying. I really do appreciate you taking your time out to offer advice

1 hour ago, Sugarfoot said:

How long do you use the computer a day if you dont mind? Just for an idea if this flux program is something i should try. I dont have tremendous strain but id rather start precaution now then when its bad again like it was during finals.

9 hours a day at work, and probably another 4-5 hours at home.

2 hours ago, Sugarfoot said:

I just downloaded it and ima give it a shot, so far I dont honestly notice a difference in the monitor coloring or anything

By default, it doesn't change the temperature until the sun goes down. You can change your daytime temperature if you want to (I use Incandescent at work).

11471130410b857.png

Edited by speed