RP And What It Means To You. (Roleplay Guide)

Eldar

Intro:

Hello everyone! First off I would like to state I am a very experienced Roleplayer, I began in GMOD 9, then moved to SAMP (San Andreas Multiplayer) where I was a Head Administrator on the largest English speaking server for a few years. Then to Arma 2 and now 3.This guide is to give you a general idea of how to get started in RP, RP terms and scenarios, lastly I'll be touching on the effect of RP.

Part I: What is Roleplay?

Roleplay is the ability to be anyone and anything you choose to be (Within realistic reason) inside the world of Arma, life is NOT all about gunfights and explosions (as the server loves to remind us every 20 minutes.).  Roleplay is the way in which to act and react to events going on around you, Roleplay is what enables you to turn a bad situation (100k bounty) into a good situation (pardon.) It's all about a story, one that you write and one that you decide how it ends. Proper RP will also help you succeed in the APD.

Part II: RP Terms!

Alright, so a lot of these are not "Rules" here on asylum however, for proper RP however these terms would still apply and you should be mindful of them when attempting Roleplay with other users so as to make it go smoothly.

(OOC) - This means Out Of Character or not related to the RP.

(IC)  - In Character, these are scenarios or actions within the RP

(PG) - Powergaming - This is a big one, PG is doing anything that is unrealistic or unfair such as "/me flys away" while RP'ing with another user. If it does not give the user a chance to react or counter act your RP, that is Power Gaming.

(MG) - Metagaming - MG is the act of using OOC (Out of Character) information within a IC (In Character) manner. Examples of this are game functions that wouldn't be able to be viewed from the eyes of your character (Names above head) or information gained from an outside source such as Teamspeak.

(FailRP) - There are many many many ways something could be considered "Fail RP" but I'll go ahead and give you a few examples: "You are being arrested by APD, you tell them you have a medical condition that cuts circulation to your hands while being restrained, and that it could cause a blood clot in which you would die. APD then unrestrains you per your RP and expects you to continue RP'ing with them, instead as soon as the restraints are removed you high tail it into the water and suicide. That would be a prime example of FailRP".

Another example would be: You are armed, but your weapon is holstered, another player comes up to rob you with a gun in your face. As he says hands up, you point blank draw your weapon and shoot him. That would be considered FailRP as there is no fear for your life.

(RDM) - Random Death Matching - Can be defined as killing a player without reason. People usually get RDM and KOS mixed up with each other as it's possible to commit RDM without committing KOS. However, it's not possible to commit KOS without committing RDM. A note for new players: Red zones are always KOS/RDM areas, there are no rules preventing John Wayne from putting you down the second he sees you.

(KOS) - Killing on Sight - KOS can be defined by shooting someone the second you see them, going back to the previous (RDM) you may or may not have a reason to kill them. Outside of the red zones this is a major offense and will earn you some ban time, don't let your temper get to you and initiate with people to be safe (Believe me I learned the hard way.)

(VDM) - Vehicle Deathmatching - Running someone over with a vehicle, this should be avoided at all times.

Those are the core terms when discussing RP. However there are more and may be added at a later time.

Part III: RP Scenarios!

So you may ask "But Eldar! How do I START Roleplay with another user?" Well little noob you goona learn today. This section will cover some basic scenarios, RP actions and a first hand example here on Asylum that I have personally done (JDdragon can attest to it.)

Initiating Roleplay: Believe it or not, it's really easy to start Roleplaying. The first step of course would be to establish who your character is, are you a ruthless mercenary moved to Altis to find fortune behind the barrel of a gun? Are you a fisherman that is down on his luck but needs to provide for his family? There are hundreds of thousands of different character types you could dream up and RP.

Initiating Roleplay is very very simple, all you have to do is talk to people! Crazy right? After speaking with someone AS the character you created and sharing your story, RP fast tracks much on it's own into becoming something new. The melding of your RP Story compared to the other users merges and from that point on you can go with the flow. It's important to note that almost every non-violent interaction with another player is a form of RP and if it is not it could be.

Useful tips: Animations helps provide some immersion into the Roleplay. By typing #e you can do a list of available animations to assist what you are RP'ing via text. IE: Piss, Pushups, Salute..etc. It's always good to represent your actions both physically and written for that immersion factor.

Scenario: So, I'm a proud member of "Karnage" a S4 gang. Our leader Chapo had gotten himself a 150k bounty due intense killing and robbing. He went to turn himself in with me representing him as an attorney. Now, a 150k bounty is a big big deal and wouldn't be easy to negotiate his release and pardon. We ran into officer "Neal" a captain within the APD, knowing his extensive list of crimes I jumped into a insanity or mentally unstable case and recommend immediate action in the form of private healthcare that was not offered by the prison of Altis. I gave Neal the story of how he was drugged in his youth and had been to war so he suffered from severe PTSD and exhibited Sociopathic tendencies, I recommended a experimental electric shock treatment trial the local hospital in Kavala had running. After some debating back and fourth about the seriousness of his condition Neal agreed to take him to the hospital for electric shock treatment where he underwent a few various physical and mental test supervised by the APD. He was pardoned.

It's all about how you spin the story and how respectful you are with other users trying to RP their own story.

Part IV: Bonus! RP'ing with the APD.

The Altis Police Department has a LOT of hidden rules and policies to remain professional and efficient that rebels and civs are simply not familiar with and will never see unless they join the APD. They are monitored for corruption nearly 24/7 under watchful eyes. They probably get RDM'ed/KOS'ed and VDM'ed the most out of everyone currently playing. After awhile like any one of us it can get stressful to deal with people who ONLY want to put you in the ground. Here are some tips for RP'ing with the APD:

1. Don't be a dick for no reason what-so-ever. They are just RP'ing their respective job and arresting you is not a OOC attack on your person, just work with them, be compliant and get ready to prepare your defense for whatever it was you were detained for.

2. Treat them with the same respect you would treat everyone else.

3. Do not threaten them if you aren't released, that's so asinine and only makes them not want to cut you a break even more.

4. Give them something interesting to hear when you plead your case. "I didn't do it, fuck you." is not a valid case in your defense it just makes you look more guilty and a bit of an asshole.

Lastly, always remember that the APD are like you and me, real people behind their monitors trying to have fun. Why not help them have fun as well by including them in the action and roleplay and not shunning them because they have to do their duties as police.

Part V: Conclusion

I hope this guide has helped you understand RP a bit better. Altis Life was never meant to be a "Make money run and gun" game but it does allow for that. Roleplay can seriously improve relations all across the board with other players and staff. It's a very important part of what makes "Life" tick. Without it, it would just be a straight RDM fest with no goal in mind other than to make money and DM which gets very very boring and those seeking that sort of thing should move to wasteland or exile. Become something great! Make a name for yourself!

If you need advice on RP or have questions feel free to reply to this thread or drop me a PM at anytime. Have a nice day!

Edited by Eldar
6 minutes ago, Eldar said:

3 minutes ago, Brendon Smith said:

Great Noone rp's on asylum except for robbing but thats it. 

Pretty much this^

You will pretty much only get Rp out of a select few civs and about 40-60*% cops. This guide would be more catered to a hardcore RP server or something like Garry's Mod. You need to find the right people for this guide to do any good.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

:FeelsBadMan:

Just now, Corgi said:

Pretty much this^

You will pretty much only get Rp out of a select few civs and about 40-60*% cops. This guide would be more catered to a hardcore RP server or something like Garry's Mod. You need to find the right people for this guide to do any good.

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

:FeelsBadMan:

Believe me, I don't expect this to cause a massive surge in RP. But I would argue you don't see much RP because people don't really know how. The guide just serves to enlighten people for those that DO wish to RP. Not those that will not/don't.

2 minutes ago, Eldar said:

Believe me, I don't expect this to cause a massive surge in RP. But I would argue you don't see much RP because people don't really know how. The guide just serves to enlighten people for those that DO wish to RP. Not those that will not/don't.

It's good to see that you understand what Asylum is. Asylum has a balance of Combat and RP, and well...its tilted towards combat by far. Good job on the guide, GL with your endeavor! Remember to Be þositive.

Edited by Corgi
Be þositive
1 minute ago, Goldy said:

Pretty sure CG had rules almost exactly like this and look where they are now :shrug:

CCG fell to bad staff though, I played there maybe once back in the day in Arma 2 and the staff was bad. Worse than Gnashes even.

But, yea I acknowledge full well these aren't rules, nor do I think they should be. However, they are vital to understand for RP.

7 minutes ago, Eldar said:

CCG fell to bad staff though, I played there maybe once back in the day in Arma 2 and the staff was bad. Worse than Gnashes even.

But, yea I acknowledge full well these aren't rules, nor do I think they should be. However, they are vital to understand for RP.

Gnashes is my bae even if hes a cunt.

Gnashes follow the Rule. Find Dupers and Scripters..

@Gnashes. @Gnashes This one is for you!

3 hours ago, Eldar said:

Yeah I understand what your saying actually. Some people just get that you have restrictions when killing people and you can't KOS but they don't really completely understand that it is because this is a light RP server. Some may not even know what RP is at all and therefore will just have bad interactions with people regardless of knowing the rules. Nice Guide @Eldar

• 9 months later...

teamspeak is not necessarily metagaming, many cops and civs use teamspeak as a radio. TS3 is simply a communication device. What IS Metagaming and failrp is when someone takes away your radio and you continue to speak in teamspeak

Edited by Pete1