How the Asylum dynamic market system really works

bamf

I've seen a lot of FUD recently about the Asylum dynamic market, so I thought I would write my (first) guide and dedicate it to this topic.  

First things first:  there has been a long standing bug in the way the market displays pricing.  It made it so that you never know how much money you are actually going to make when selling your goods to the vendor.  @Gnashes and I sat down yesterday and we identified and fixed the bug.  The fix will be in a hotfix for 7.5.5 (launching later this AM I hope), so all screenshots from this guide will be from that patch.  

Now let's look at the market on the phone UI and talk about the various pieces on the screen: 

m7h2U26.png

There are 3 elements of interest here:  Base, Current, and what is displayed to the right of the item (Crystal Meth) in parentheses.

• Base price is the maximum you will ever get for selling that item to the market place.  This is the price you get from 0 on the market until we hit the point that demand starts to fall for that item (due to a glut of that item being on the market).
  • Current price is the amount that you will get if you sell 1 or more of that item to the market (on a per unit basis).
  • The number in parenthesis to the right of the selected item is the amount that you could buy that item for from the market currently.  

Now let's look at this from the other side of the equation.  What does it look like at the drug dealer:

aT1rr9q.png

The main point of interest here is the numbers next to Crystal Meth (meth).  As you can see, we have 3 on the market currently that are available for sale at a price of $1739 (it's not $1740 like on the phone due to a rounding error that I will try to locate).  As you can see though, the number in parentheses from the phone is matched up to the number here.  

Now, what happens when I sell a meth to the vendor with the market at this point in time:  

DpKzQ9x.png

As you can see, I got the "Current" price from the market app on the phone.  In the past this wasn't the case.  It turns out that the Current price was also reflecting the tax rate on each server - which you never get paid.  This always led to confusion on my part, so this is one of the bugs we have fixed with the hotfix that will be put into place shortly.  

As the market fills up though, how does it behave (how aggressive is the market)?  Let's take a look at the price of meth as the market gets a touch more saturated:

RoSel7X.png

In the screenshot above, we have finally hit the point where the dynamic market has kicked in.  There's simply too much meth being sold, so the price has reduced from $942/cpu to $941/cpu.  Not a huge adjustment, but it is going down nonetheless.  As more meth is sold to the market, the price will continue to be driven down further and further until we hit the bottom price.  Here is what that looks like once the market is completely saturated with meth:

wncmDNV.png

As you can see, we are now only getting $725/cpu for meth.  Every meth sold to the market from there on would only get us that price.  

I'll go ahead and do the math for you on this since I know some of you are going to theory craft this out anyway:

• Market pricing begins to fluctuate based on 70% of X being sold to the market.  X is different for each item that participates in the market.  For meth, X is 1500.  So once ~1050 meth are on the market, the price of meth will continue to go down until it hits 1500 units - where you will get the base price for that item.  
  • Each item on the market has a different value for X.  

So going back to the initial reports I've gotten about the market being overly aggressive - I don't really agree that it is.  Most of the illegal items have a fairly high value set for X at this point.  Also, in the past there were multiple tiers as you got closer to X - today it's 70% where the market place starts to adjust pricing.  

So for all of you that say a group run of meth doesn't make sense to do anymore, don't say the market economy is stopping you from doing the run.  You can be in a group running 6 HEMTTs of meth, and only the last 40 or so meth will have any reduction in price at all.  

Also, keep your eye on the market during each server cycle.  The market reduces throughout each server cycle, and again when the server restarts.  So the pricing of items is always fluctuating.  If you want to run 10 HEMTTs of meth you can - just wait to sell the final little bit once market conditions are more favorable for you.  

I hope this has helped dispel some of the myths around the market.  

Good to see group meth runs are still viable. If you really want a dynamic market, you should have random changes in demand, meaning that on rare occasions heroin will be more profitable than meth. That way people will do different professions, and not just the "cookie-cutter" ones. Wasn't that the goal of implementing the market in the first place?

16 minutes ago, Bikstok said:

Good to see group meth runs are still viable. If you really want a dynamic market, you should have random changes in demand, meaning that on rare occasions heroin will be more profitable than meth. That way people will do different professions, and not just the "cookie-cutter" ones. Wasn't that the goal of implementing the market in the first place?

This would actually be amazing.

Thanks for clearing that up Bamf, its always been a mystery tbh lol

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2016 at 9:32 AM, bamf said:

So once ~1050 meth are on the market, the price of meth will continue to go down until it hits 1500 units - where you will get the base price for that item.  

So if there's 1499 meth on the market the price will be even lower than $725 (I'll guess $500 for arguments sake.)  I sell one meth for $500 so now the market is at 1500 and you're saying the next meth I sell will pay me the base price, $925?  

Did you mean "lowest possible price" instead of "base price" in the line I quoted?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 9:32 AM, bamf said:

I've seen a lot of FUD recently about the Asylum dynamic market, so I thought I would write my (first) guide and dedicate it to this topic.  

First things first:  there has been a long standing bug in the way the market displays pricing.  It made it so that you never know how much money you are actually going to make when selling your goods to the vendor.  @Gnashes and I sat down yesterday and we identified and fixed the bug.  The fix will be in a hotfix for 7.5.5 (launching later this AM I hope), so all screenshots from this guide will be from that patch.  

Now let's look at the market on the phone UI and talk about the various pieces on the screen: 

m7h2U26.png

There are 3 elements of interest here:  Base, Current, and what is displayed to the right of the item (Crystal Meth) in parentheses.

• Base price is the maximum you will ever get for selling that item to the market place.  This is the price you get from 0 on the market until we hit the point that demand starts to fall for that item (due to a glut of that item being on the market).
  • Current price is the amount that you will get if you sell 1 or more of that item to the market (on a per unit basis).
  • The number in parenthesis to the right of the selected item is the amount that you could buy that item for from the market currently.  

Now let's look at this from the other side of the equation.  What does it look like at the drug dealer:

aT1rr9q.png

The main point of interest here is the numbers next to Crystal Meth (meth).  As you can see, we have 3 on the market currently that are available for sale at a price of $1739 (it's not $1740 like on the phone due to a rounding error that I will try to locate).  As you can see though, the number in parentheses from the phone is matched up to the number here.  

Now, what happens when I sell a meth to the vendor with the market at this point in time:  

DpKzQ9x.png

As you can see, I got the "Current" price from the market app on the phone.  In the past this wasn't the case.  It turns out that the Current price was also reflecting the tax rate on each server - which you never get paid.  This always led to confusion on my part, so this is one of the bugs we have fixed with the hotfix that will be put into place shortly.  

As the market fills up though, how does it behave (how aggressive is the market)?  Let's take a look at the price of meth as the market gets a touch more saturated:

RoSel7X.png

In the screenshot above, we have finally hit the point where the dynamic market has kicked in.  There's simply too much meth being sold, so the price has reduced from $942/cpu to $941/cpu.  Not a huge adjustment, but it is going down nonetheless.  As more meth is sold to the market, the price will continue to be driven down further and further until we hit the bottom price.  Here is what that looks like once the market is completely saturated with meth:

wncmDNV.png

As you can see, we are now only getting $725/cpu for meth.  Every meth sold to the market from there on would only get us that price.  

I'll go ahead and do the math for you on this since I know some of you are going to theory craft this out anyway:

• Market pricing begins to fluctuate based on 70% of X being sold to the market.  X is different for each item that participates in the market.  For meth, X is 1500.  So once ~1050 meth are on the market, the price of meth will continue to go down until it hits 1500 units - where you will get the base price for that item.  
  • Each item on the market has a different value for X.  

So going back to the initial reports I've gotten about the market being overly aggressive - I don't really agree that it is.  Most of the illegal items have a fairly high value set for X at this point.  Also, in the past there were multiple tiers as you got closer to X - today it's 70% where the market place starts to adjust pricing.  

So for all of you that say a group run of meth doesn't make sense to do anymore, don't say the market economy is stopping you from doing the run.  You can be in a group running 6 HEMTTs of meth, and only the last 40 or so meth will have any reduction in price at all.  

Also, keep your eye on the market during each server cycle.  The market reduces throughout each server cycle, and again when the server restarts.  So the pricing of items is always fluctuating.  If you want to run 10 HEMTTs of meth you can - just wait to sell the final little bit once market conditions are more favorable for you.  

I hope this has helped dispel some of the myths around the market.  

giphy.gif

Rogue likes this

After a handful of group runs in larger and smaller vehicles, I can say that the dynamic market is currently no to bad when it comes to taking cuts. However there is those odd times where a certain item will not decrease on the market for a couple restarts leaving it completely pointless to sell until it decides to start dropping. Another thing I noticed is that when the price of something drops, nothing actually gets higher in price properly. Isn't that the idea behind a dynamic market? Once something is being sold a lot, the demand for something else increases giving incentive to mix up what you are running.

For example Heroin increases in sales therefor dropping the price and increasing other Drug prices similarly to how the market works in real life.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...