College Apps

Jamal

4 minutes ago, KillZone said:

none, because college is just a big business that makes money off your debt.  I didn't go to college and make >100k a year and my friends who went are still looking for jobs.

granted if you trying to be a doctor then ya know I think ya need it.  I guess all depends what you study

Can't say I agree with you there, college is pretty important. Have fun making a job over someone with a 4 year degree

Edited by Shane McCoy
Just now, KillZone said:

like I said I make 100k+ a year .... soooooooo

I'm not here to argue, but I highly doubt you make 100k+ a year. Do share the secrets to your success.

Also because of your "success" college is obviously nothing more than a big business that hasn't helped anyone but doctors. its a huge scam and you shouldn't attend it. No one gains anything from a higher education.

Be realistic about your goals. If you plan on going into business, you'd better be prepared to have some connections after graduation to get a job. If you'd like to go into medicine like I am, you'd best be prepared to sacrifice some of your Arma time for studying. Get into a lot of lab work and get hands on. It only gets more and more competitive, so try getting some internships somewhere in the field that you want to get into. For example, I'm in a pharmacy program, so I plan on becoming a pharmacy technician. Not the best pay, but the experience will look real nice. 

In general, just don't assume that you'll be successful. Hell, don't even apply for a direct program yet if you don't feel like it. Do 2 years, then apply for a program that you think fits you. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny said:

doubt any college apps will accept someone with your gpa. what are you a fucking native  left-handed single abused mother?

let's not derail this into a petty high school locker room fight. Keep the hostility in side chat. 

Edited by Sky
thero, varex, Jamal and 2 others like this

As long as you're not an Artist, liberal arts major, political science major or an asshole.  Here is an idea for the next 4 years of your life.

Save yourself time and money.

Go to a community college for 2 years and finish your general education.

Take some side classes to find interests.

Make those interests into a career path.

Apply for undergraduate at a school that specializes in said career path.

Do Internship.  Contribute skills freely to your local community. 

2 years later graduate with degree in field.

Apply for jobs with Bachelor's Degree and tell them about your internships and your contributions to society.

Make $100k+ as long as you're not an asshole.

Number 1 rule graduates forget.  Dont be an asshole.  

I've turned away kids that had 4.0 GPA's.

From prestigious colleges

All because they thought they DESERVED the job. 

varex, Jake, Noble and 7 others like this
3 minutes ago, Clint Beastwood said:

As long as you're not an Artist, liberal arts major, political science major or an asshole.  Here is an idea for the next 4 years of your life.

Apply for jobs with Bachelor's Degree and tell them about your internships and your contributions to society.

^^ Couldn't be more true... especially the "don't be an asshole" part.

12 minutes ago, Clint Beastwood said:

You legit sound so much like my dad its crazy minus the community college thingy.  Ive listened to everything he has said and I got to say at the age of 18 im doing pretty well following his rules :)

@Stereo don't get down on yourself man I just finished all my apps and got into the school that i went ED to and I can't express how amazing it feels to get something that you have worked for from the age of 10.  All the college apps are the last step just get them done and you will feel amazing

Edited by The Orphan
Jamal likes this
Just now, The Orphan said:

You legit sound so much like my dad its crazy.  Ive listened to everything he has said and I got to say at the age of 18 im doing pretty well following his rules :)

@Stereo don't get down on yourself man I just finished all my apps and got into the school that i went ED to and I can't express how amazing it feels to get something that you have worked for from the age of 10.  All the college apps are the last step just get them done and you will feel amazing

yeah man rn I'm finishing up my 10th app still got 5 more after this

1 minute ago, Haych said:

My kebab shop is looking for some staff. Had to fire Jimbo because he kept delivering the food half eaten and my co-owner Devran is to busy losing games on Overwatch so I can do with some extra hands

sign me up dad it will only be a quarter eaten when I deliver it.

Haych likes this
2 hours ago, House. said:

I applied to Utica college Miami Uni Central Penn Penn state and South Carolina university at myrtle beach and John Jay using the same essay still waiting to hear back from them, good luck stereo 

did you use commonapp btw i also applied to miami U and Penn State 

21 hours ago, Stereo said:

For any of you guys who have gone to college or are going through college tell me what colleges you guys went to and why I'm doing college apps rn and don't know what I wanna do with my life yet.

I applied to a few schools including CWU, UND, Embry Riddle, and Hillsboro Air Academy.  Im lucky because I already know that I want to be a pilot, however, many of my friends still dont know what they want to do.  Like Clint and a few other people said, its really smart to do 2 years at a community college.  Its cheaper and it doesn't lock you into something that you might change your mind about half way through.

Once you figure out what career you want to pursue, you can pick a school that will help you with what you want to study while already having some experience with higher level education.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edited by Juice
Jamal likes this

I also enrolled for 2 years at a community college and will likely transfer to University North Texas when I've finished my 'basics' to study epidemiology and genetic modification. Applying was not stressful for me since the acceptance rate for the community colleges in my area are extremely high and my test scores ad GPA go well beyond their requirements. However, I imagine that applying for a 4-year university right out of high school is very anxiety-inducing. 

Most people don't know what they want to do with their life when they pursue higher education. My eldest sister changed her major twice (from education to medicine then to business) and my other sister has changed her major as well (from medicine to education). My brother also went into college wanting to become a biologist and left to become a helicopter mechanic for the military. My boyfriend also went to UNT to study politics but after a year, switched to music composition. It's abnormal to have everything planned out, so don't feel like you're behind.

We're all unsure of what the future holds. Nobody is ready for it. Although you may feel like you are making a huge decision, you are not setting your life up just yet. You can still backtrack if you feel it is necessary in the future and you can still change your mind.

And if you are not accepted to the college you want, it isn't the end of the world. There are plenty more opportunities out there.

Best of luck in getting into the college of your choice, though! (:

Edited by varex
17 minutes ago, varex said:

I also enrolled for 2 years at a community college and will likely transfer to University North Texas when I've finished my 'basics' to study epidemiology and genetic modification. Applying was not stressful for me since the acceptance rate for the community colleges in my area are extremely high and my test scores ad GPA go well beyond their requirements. However, I imagine that applying for a 4-year university right out of high school is very anxiety-inducing. 

Most people don't know what they want to do with their life when they pursue higher education. My eldest sister changed her major twice (from education to medicine then to business) and my other sister has changed her major as well (from medicine to education). My brother also went into college wanting to become a biologist and left to become a helicopter mechanic for the military. My boyfriend also went to UNT to study politics but after a year, switched to music composition. It's abnormal to have everything planned out, so don't feel like you're behind.

We're all unsure of what the future holds. Nobody is ready for it. Although you may feel like you are making a huge decision, you are not setting your life up just yet. You can still backtrack if you feel it is necessary in the future and you can still change your mind.

And if you are not accepted to the college you want, it isn't the end of the world. There are plenty more opportunities out there.

2 year college sounds aight 

2 hours ago, varex said:

UNT is a bunch of tree huggers trying to make every eco friendly.

On 11/29/2016 at 5:34 PM, Stereo said:

For any of you guys who have gone to college or are going through college tell me what colleges you guys went to and why I'm doing college apps rn and don't know what I wanna do with my life yet.

Graduated Middlesex Community College  - went for free with a scholarship from graduating top in tech-vocational high-school for electronics. 

- Obtained associates degree in Computer Science: With a specialization on Networking and Computer Engineering

Currently Enrolled with a scholarship for Scholar Athletics at University of Massachussetts - Lowell

- 1 year left for Computer Science: Specialization in programming (Bachelors). Basically a whole new degree that they screwed me into taking because the other one was considered "IT" and they only offered night classes. Nonetheless I have 8 classes to go which are only offered in certain times and will take two more semesters and they only give you your deploma in the spring so 1 year.

When I first went to apply to colleges I didn't have enough things to get in, however I went to community college and had a 3.94 GPA and a few awards that got me a full entry into a University and a HUGE scholership at the time (Its almost depleted). I wish I had done more research but I didn't plan on going to college nor did I plan on doing what im doing now.

As a few others have said, make sure college is the right step for you. With the internet in todays world and all sorts of certificates there are many routes to take. For me personally school has sharpened my brain and my way of learning so it was worth it whether or not the material was worthy.

If you don't know what you want to do or have money problems there is no shame in community college. You will get credit for the basic classes at a cost thats prob close to 1/5 of the cost of a University. As for education, lol I should show you what I pay 4 grand for a prinston professor to fucking give me as an assignment and end class after 30 minutes every day. Please pay attention if you plan on transfering to a University and find out what actually transfers so you dont waste time like me

Take it as you will im just a guy on the internet on a gaming thread

Edited by Sugarfoot