Recent Server Stability

Paratus

4 hours ago, Paratus said:

The servers have been offline a lot lately, and I just wanted to update you on the current status.

The servers were seemingly randomly restarting with blue screens of death. This was a tough one to track down and took us ages to find since the BSOD we were getting is typical of a hardware failure. We swapped out hardware, tested memory like nuts, replaced heatsinks and so on. Then we found it was only happening when Arma was running, even when other even more intensive applications (for testing) were active. Odd.

Now we believe we've found the culprit. It seems as though it was caused by a douchebag. The douchebag was using a very recently found exploit in Windows which can cause memory corruption faults to fire remotely, so Windows thinks our memory is bad and shuts down. Now that we know of the issue we've begun to plug those holes. Microsoft is expected to patch it on Tuesday but since we know how it works we can combat it.

In addition to all that fun we've been getting loads of DDoS attacks, too. Our website and Teamspeak have been getting it heavily but they should also be more hardened now.

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

Thank you :)

Thanks for spending time on looking (into) and fixing the issue!

One thing I noticed on all those days servers were offline was that communication between community and developers were somehow nonexistent though. Olio and other admin's responses were fine, but were still not enough. Because, as they themselves tell us, we know that only developers are able to fix and look into those kinds of problems. And sometimes they would say they're not even being able to establish contact or get answers from you developers, which makes us a little more concerned.

Getting a few sentences every couple days - like 'hey, we're facing problems, okay?' - felt more like an obligation to settle the community down, and it's very understandable. But, again, that wasn't really enough and we felt like we needed a word from you guys.

Either way, I also understand we have roles in the community for cases like this, and sometimes you developers have a lot on your plate - doesn't matter if they're personal or professional matters. Maybe I'm overstating things. Or perhaps we just need a bit more of details on the news we get.

Anyway, again, thanks for working on the servers and finally letting us know what was going on!

P.S. Yes, I know you guys couldn't have figured out the real problem earlier, so there wasn't a lot to tell the community. But, even as we face BattlEye problems and we're still not too sure what causes it, Bamf's announcement on this was a step forward, and that's what I'm talking about.

Edited by BlackShot
Just now, Gnashes said:

Bamf was out of town for his actual job (and is now recovering from a fever).

Paratus was trying to fix the issue, not looking at the forums.

Motown was (I would assume) being the Producer for Identity.

Devs were all tied up; no real time to stop and chat.

#MakeGnashesDeveloper, so that we get faster fixes and quicker answers.

But, seriously, you've been doing a great work (no knee pads, I promise).

LinuxThird and Mr. Linux like this
6 hours ago, Jesse said:

These all seem like excuses...

You can just say the real reason is "We fucked up... moved servers to a poor hosting company. We are trying to figure out something and need to buy more time".

Sorry just have trouble seeing the link between "Then we found it was only happening when Arma was running, even when other even more intensive applications (for testing) were active." and then all of a sudden its a Windows exploit? Wut.

How's identity?

They own server boxes 

15 hours ago, Nekro said:

Fuk u Ludde u 2 faced cunt , dont be talking shit about me like that. All i do is support this server, i only play on this server and I actually respect the founders and admins that keep it going.
I' 40 years old and own too much to lose to ddos a server and worry about catching a felony..
Besides that I spent so much money buy keys for myself and all my member, ($60 in keys every week for VIP) why would I do anything so retarded by ddosing the server i support and play on???

KEEP MY NAME OUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH BOY... or else your gonna have to "CATCH ME OUTSIDE , HOW BOUT THAT!!!"

Nekro, you're probably the nicest dude I've ever met in a while. 

Edited by massi