Server 3 from 3 years ago

If you are reading this, there is no doubt you know who I am. I have been a Cadet for 3 years and I was at one point the most known cop on the APD. Renowned for my RP and relationships with both APD and civilians, I know what makes the server fun. Server 3 from 3 years ago is without a doubt the best example of a perfect server and I would like to explain to you how it differs and offer assistance in returning Asylum to its former glory.

It is no secret that the state the servers are in is less than desirable. The problem is not the gangs, the content, nor the lack of RP from civilians. The backbone of the server and what leads the RP in the server should be and has always been the APD. When I joined 3 years ago, there were rules. These rules are either vastly different or are simply not being followed today. The most important is that RP was not an option, it was a requirement. What is not being taught right now is the importance of RP. 3 years ago, in order to play on the APD you had to RP. In order to get a promotion you had to show exemplary RP and had to have specific RP instances witnessed by Lieutenants that impressed them. As it stands, the APD is nothing more than finding bounties and giving tickets. Granted that this is an important part of the game that gives consequence to actions, it is only half of what the APD is for. Civilians cannot RP without the cops and without RP, and they cannot RP with the cops if the cops are not going to RP with them, and without RP the game is merely a drug running simulator.

Frankly, the main part of RP from the APD that stood as a good standard to keep people on track was the forced professionalism. We were supposed to act as though we were real police officers who could not break character, could not act in a way that cops would not act in real life, and be the perfect example of professionalism. The point of this was to make the civilians feel that they were being stopped by police officers, not some teenagers on a computer. The immersion would incite fear, respect, and easy flowing RP.

I have witnessed every day since my return paintballing (shooting fellow officers), random discharge of weapons, breaking character, disrespecting higher ups, general immaturity, and lack of respect for the APD rules. This is not the APD I remember, and thus, the server has taken a hit where it appears to be at an all time low. No RP, just shooting, drug running, and tickets. Cops are no longer fun to be in confrontation with, instead, they are seen as either a nuisance or targets.

I would like to discuss with the Captains and perhaps the Devs, Gnashers and Olio, and whomever else would need to be involved to do an overhaul. We need to get the guidebook and regulations up to date to reinstate RP as a requirement. We need to once again set the standard for professionalism and include it in the training and cadet week. Cadets should not have civilian privileges, they need to spend the week having enough hours learning the ropes and having an example set for them. It is one week, we all did it, they will live. We need role models and retraining for everyone, including Lieutenants. Perhaps bringing back old help - such as Durga, Shkar, and Leonhearts.

The goal is to make Asylum fun again for the civilians and the cops. We can make the server golden again, we can MAKE ASYLUM GREAT AGAIN. If we could set aside 30 minutes or so to get everyone together and discuss what we can do and change, would fixing the server not be worth it?

Let me know, looking forward to it.

TLDR;

Asylum lacks RP and it makes it horrible compared to 3 years ago. Simple solution to fix it: Go back to roots. Willing to spitball ideas with Captains and Devs.

Worth the read though.

Edited by Rock Hardick

Well if your going back 3 years then..........Crack the whip of the late great durgessa, The OG Nighteyes, and toss a bamf in their.        It is supposed to be taught on the apd end that, promotions for any higher up are based on at least 1/3 RP, 1/3 Knowledge of APD Guidelines and rules,  1/3 Experience of knowing how to handle themselves and situations .

Rules/ regulations/ guidelines can  be implemented but of course not everyone will follow them.  It's needed of always having RP but do you any ideas how to implement making sure the APD end follows?   It's a difficult tight rope to walk keep things balanced for everybody to have fun :)

Possibly controversial opinion incoming.  I think that removing rules from the GB in order to make cop more lax and easy to play has been a very destructive decision for our force. 

It all originated because Paratus decided to play as cop once and was overwhelmed by the number of rules and felt he couldn't keep track of them all.  Well of course that would happen, he's not involved in the APD at all.  We shouldn't calibrate the APD for a quasi-absent dev who plays cop twice a year.

If the APD rules were more strict, then the bad cops will get weeded out more easily.  Players that tend to spend 98% of their time on rebel will have a harder time switching over to cop without more rigorously keeping up to date with the rules.  The cops that are immature, vindictive, ignorant, or who abuse civilian rights, hold grudges, don't know the rules, and act unprofessional will get removed. 

Sure, setting the bar high might scare off or remove some officers, but I know that there are cops here that care, that deserve respect and that would work hard regardless.  We might filter out a lot of officers, but I know that what we would be left with... is a really damn good batch of officers.

Danny, GravL, Teddy_ and 21 others like this

<<< Master of RP.

I think each server has its ups and downs. That's the beauty of have mulitple servers. If Server 1-2 don't work out. Try 3 and 4. That's what I did. Jumped around servers until I found a group of people to play with then stuck there.

With that said. Server 3 is known to be the more LAX server. Allowing other servers to be more strict with rules and requirements. I'm not saying what your saying is wrong but I think what your looking for can be found on one of the other 4 servers. I know a few of them are more strict then others so I stay off them. I like to have fun first and for most with the civilians then beat them up second. They love the abuse. (kavala)

Olivia, Rag and Yung Tommy like this

I never realized how true this was until you came out and dropped this truth bomb. Just recently, I have noticed cops breaking RP more frequently, "You can't do that, that's exploiting", "Nice RDM" and a few other things. This shit never happened back then, at least not with Constables or higher, and any cop that did that shit was swiftly dealt with. I do agree with the idea to impose a more strict RP standard for the APD. I remember kidnapping APD officers and getting a fun RP experience but now they just go AFK and disconnect after their 10 minutes is up.

+1

GravL, Olivia, Silver-Spy and 3 others like this

Me like even though My RP sometimes might be on the line of being unprofessional wich some civs like but maybe not everyone, when I started as a cadet My RP was that I had mulitiple personalitys but now I dont see alot of cadets even trying to RP they just go with the lines of Explain then ticket. @Olivia also makes a good point the APD should be a place to have fun but at the same time there needs to be rules I mean there is questions on My Ride along that is not even in the GB anymore but they are still rules like Wtf. Bring back the rules of the APD in more detail then what it is right now and yes force cops more to RP than just "Explain then ticket".

RP from cop perspective went to listening monologue of criminal in cuffs for 10 minutes saying "mhm, aha, that's horrible, try to change ur life, here is your parole" - even tho we have soft-rp community in here, it would be awesome to force people to develop background story and build up character as a cop. Leave soft rp to civs, force APD to be more hardcore-rp than it is. And the point about being professional as APD officer is spot on - we don't see that anymore at all, and I believe that's what ruins the view of APD in civs eyes the most.

Back then you saw that many of the higher ups  from SGT and above would sit there and listen to the wildest story around and then talk back with you about how you need to change your ways and this could go on from 20 minutes to even a hour. Now you have many civs on the island and police officers who just want to get on with their life and just either get sent to jail or go on parole. Multiple times I have been arrested and the cops take me back to HQ, HVT me then if nothing goes down at the HQ the cop will be make me explain my charges and after like 3 or 4 of my 15 to 20 manslaughters he will just go and say alright man "how does parole sound" and thats the new meta of cop. Mostly to deal with the suspect as quick as you can just so you can  get back out there and make money. When i first started the lethal for cops gave you the full amount for lethal and the full amount for arresting someone (something along those lines), the point Im making is even back then when cops got a shit ton of money for catching someone/lethaling they still RPed to the full extent.

Edited by Anzy

I think the APD has months where it's being run very well and months it is not, generally that's what I've seen with my time on Asylum.  Right now, things aren't so great in terms of RP, it use to be a lot better.  Trying to talk my way out of bounties with a lot of cops has become useless and just a headache, I don't necessarily care if I don't get pardoned but at least have some back and forth and make it an interesting experience,  Don't make it so blatantly obvious that you're alt tabbed or just waiting for me to stop talking just so you can say "I don't believe you, here's your ticket.".  I think what made cops better at roleplaying before was the fact there were standards and they were much more strictly enforced.  A lot of what cops do now, even some higher ups would not have been okay just a year ago.

Edited by Sheriff Rick Grimes

@Olivia @Rock Hardick

Even if P3 is/was known for it's pro-RP game-play there's many things that work against this idea from taking root. 

While I do agree stricter rules and a more active leadership may weed out the riff-raff, I feel this is only a band-aid fix to a gaping wound. The egos / power-trip mentality that is fostered in the APD will always be found throughout the ranks. The cops who are whitelisted demonstrate some level of competence to be a cadet and hopefully display some maturity/discipline to be a Constable who properly uses their primary weapon. By default all APD personnel are on paper RP oriented players. However, some cops also just don't like processing, so you get RP issues there as well.

We're also not factoring the other side of this perspective, the civs. You can't sustain the idea of "more RP friendly server" if the civs are not willing to meet you halfway or even 20 precent of the way. Civs/rebels that prefer to be toxic or unwilling to RP make it hard for even the most easy going RP friendly cops. If more RP is wanted it needs to be a collective approach not by just the APD. We are taught from day one to use our primary weapon before firing rounds, civs don't need that so long as they do the bare minimum RP that prevents  them from being banned. Also civs aren't punished for having an aggressive play-style with little RP, while cops will be lectured or even punished for being that way. This can be frustrating for cops trying to have fun and promote RP.     

Also we're not being realistic here, A LOT has changed in the past three years. New weapons, new Asylum game mechanics (bounty system, new activities, market system/values), the cultural shift in rebel life (frequency of cartel fights, prison, fed/bank robberies, etc.) and APD policy changes. This affects how cops and civs interact with each other in Asylum. For example, when many rebels would rather Alamo Fed / Bank Roof and vest HQ, that doesn't foster more RP. Civs chanting Higher-up Requests  and threatening IA reports / ban reports for 10 minutes doesn't foster RP. Civs killing cops from locked houses doesn't foster RP. This and MANY other civ shenanigans only promote more combat than RP, depending on the person/group you might get some good RP. Sadly, most folks rather be salty than RP. 

TL;DR: Asylum has changed the past 3 years, so you can't expect things to be like they were 3 years ago. If more RP is wanted, then both cops AND Civs need to cultivate this idea. As many have said, Asylum is a light RP server, so you can't expect RP gold from everyone. 

Edited by Cobra
Just now, Cobra said:

@Olivia @Rock Hardick

Even if P3 is/was known for it's pro-RP game-play there's many things that work against this idea from taking root. 

While I do agree stricter rules and a more active leadership may weed out the riff-raff, I feel this is only a band-aid fix to gaping wound. The egos / power-trip mentality that is fostered in the APD will always be found throughout the ranks. The cops who are whitelisted demonstrate some level of competence to be a cadet and hopefully display some maturity/discipline to be a Constable who properly uses their primary weapon. By default we all APD personnel are on paper RP oriented players. 

We're also not factoring the other side of this perspective, the civs. You can't sustain the idea of "more RP friendly server" if the civs are not willing to meet you halfway or even 20 precent of the way. Civs/rebels that prefer to be toxic or unwilling to RP make it hard for even the most easy going RP friendly cops. If more RP is wanted it needs to be a collective approach not by just the APD. We are taught from day one to use our primary weapon before firing rounds, civs don't need that so long as they do the bare minimum RP that prevents  them from being ban. Also civs aren't punished for having an aggressive play-style with little RP, while cops are will be lectured or even punished for being that way. This can be frustrating for cops trying to have fun and promote RP.     

Also we're not being realistic here, A LOT has changed in the past three years. New weapons, new Asylum game mechanics (bounty system, new activities, market system/values), the cultural shift in rebel life (frequency of cartel fights, prison, fed/bank robberies, etc.) and APD policy changes. This affects how cops and civs interact with each other in Asylum. For example, when many rebels would rather Alamo Fed / Bank Roof and vest HQ, that doesn't foster more RP. Civs chanting Higher-up Requests  and threatening IA reports / ban reports for 10 minutes doesn't foster RP. Civs taking cops from locked houses doesn't foster RP. This and MANY other civ shenanigans only promote more combat than RP, depending on the person/group you might get some good RP. Sadly, most folks rather be salty than RP. 

TL;DR: Asylum has changed the past 3 years, so you can't expect things to be like they were 3 years ago. If more RP is wanted, then both cops AND Civs need to cultivate this idea. As many have said, Asylum is a light RP server, so you can't expect RP gold from everyone. 

i mean back then you had a shit ton of gangs that knew what they were doing like bad blood,innovative later on synergy,regiment into evil corp and NV, and so on. You didnt get a break as a cop and most of these guys had a shit ton of charges and you knew that the rest of the gang would eventually come. You as a cop didnt care you wanted to get the best rp of these guys and most to of the time these guys gave it to you. Most rebels now dont want to rp becuase they know that the cops would rather lethal and just robocop them than have a good rp story. All you hear nowadays if you are apart of a huge gang is "you probably got all them kills on cops or at a cartel" than the "holy shit man here we can get you help" jesus id rather sit there and rp about stupid shit that doesnt exist in asylum than alright that wasnt a good enough story for me heres a full ticket... Most cops either pardon or just give parole instead of listen and just make some rp story.

Cobra, lllman and Mahdizzle like this
4 minutes ago, Cobra said:
4 hours ago, Spek said:

Well if your going back 3 years then..........Crack the whip of the late great durgessa, The OG Nighteyes, and toss a bamf in their.        It is supposed to be taught on the apd end that, promotions for any higher up are based on at least 1/3 RP, 1/3 Knowledge of APD Guidelines and rules,  1/3 Experience of knowing how to handle themselves and situations .

Rules/ regulations/ guidelines can  be implemented but of course not everyone will follow them.  It's needed of always having RP but do you any ideas how to implement making sure the APD end follows?   It's a difficult tight rope to walk keep things balanced for everybody to have fun :)

Of course! The way to implement it is the way we used to! No promotions unless you show exemplary RP. If you lack RP, you get talked to until you get the standard right (might be a bit foggy but it really was a rule and it was enforced). Another incentive to make people more focused on RP rather than robocopping is to let them have MONEY again. The old arrest system where you get the full bounty rather than split it with everyone worked fine and everyone was rich. Yes, not everyone who worked on a hard arrest got paid, but in the end everyone loved the payday and everyone's pockets were lined with gold so they didn't care about making sure the person got a ticket. As it stands, cops are so broke that they want (and need) every penny from every arrest, especially since we now have to buy our own equipment (which is a good thing, don't change that).

But to answer your question more direct, enforce the RP the way as described and bring back the old money arrest system.

@Olivia @Rock Hardick

While I do agree stricter rules and a more active leadership may weed out the riff-raff, I feel this is only a band-aid fix to gaping wound. The egos / power-trip mentality that is fostered in the APD will always be found throughout the ranks. The cops who are whitelisted demonstrate some level of competence to be a cadet and hopefully display some maturity/discipline to be a Constable who properly uses their primary weapon. By default we all APD personnel are on paper RP oriented players. Some cops also just don't like processing, so you get issues there as well.

We're also not factoring the other side of this perspective, the civs. You can't sustain the idea of "more RP friendly server" if the civs are not willing to meet you halfway or even 20 precent of the way. Civs/rebels that prefer to be toxic or unwilling to RP make it hard for even the most easy going RP friendly cops. If more RP is wanted it needs to be a collective approach not by just the APD. We are taught from day one to use our primary weapon before firing rounds, civs don't need that so long as they do the bare minimum RP that prevents  them from being ban. Also civs aren't punished for having an aggressive play-style with little RP, while cops are will be lectured or even punished for being that way. This can be frustrating for cops trying to have fun and promote RP.     

Also we're not being realistic here, A LOT has changed in the past three years. New weapons, new Asylum game mechanics (bounty system, new activities, market system/values), the cultural shift in rebel life (frequency of cartel fights, prison, fed/bank robberies, etc.) and APD policy changes. This affects how cops and civs interact with each other in Asylum. For example, when many rebels would rather Alamo Fed / Bank Roof and vest HQ, that doesn't foster more RP. Civs chanting Higher-up Requests  and threatening IA reports / ban reports for 10 minutes doesn't foster RP. Civs taking cops from locked houses doesn't foster RP. This and MANY other civ shenanigans only promote more combat than RP, depending on the person/group you might get some good RP. Sadly, most folks rather be salty than RP. 

I strongly disagree. The civs have a choice to go along with RP or not. It is the APD's responsibility to set a base for the RP to stem off of in every situation, should the civs choose to RP back. If not, the cop is still RPing as a cop, and that is good enough. The point is that if you make it so that people see you more as an officer rather than some kid in a different role slot, RP will naturally follow as it did 3 years ago, regardless of server trends.

Remember when you had to take the people back to the HQ to search them and give them a ticket? That should be re-implemented  as well as it bred unmatched RP experience and allowed for people lying in wait to do one of the things that made Asylum great - plant drugs and other contraband on people before they were searched.

If we go back to the roots and enforce a mandatory RP at least as far as being a cop goes, not necessarily RP every situation but at least RP as a cop (hence the light RP server), it will start earning respect from civilians and start making RP possible and a hell of a lot easier.

Mahdizzle likes this

@Anzy
True, I was active in P1, P2, and P4 when those gangs were rolling strong. I also remember the lack of higher up support in these precincts which made RP very important and at the same time very hard. When you have a channel of 17 cops of mixed cadets / constables it really forces you to choose your actions wisely. We had no Sergeants or Lt. to fly in and save day with a cavalry of knee pad warriors. It was a great learning experience, now I have to mute or just leave TS from the ear rape amount of garbage coming through coms and in-game chat. I stick by this statement too. 

Edited by Cobra
Yung Tommy and Rock Hardick like this
Just now, Olivia said:

Not sure if you were aware @Rock Hardick (since this was a change that happened after you left) but we do punish in internal affairs for lack of RP, inappropriate breaking of character etc.

a44d16c9c99082f223d58304b5404679.png

I mean in more of a sense of lacking RP by not acting as an actual officer. It may be in the book - but from what I've seen, you would need to punish almost every cop on the force as it has turned into nothing more than a slot on the server.

Keneith and Yung Tommy like this
36 minutes ago, Rock Hardick said:

I mean in more of a sense of lacking RP by not acting as an actual officer. It may be in the book - but from what I've seen, you would need to punish almost every cop on the force as it has turned into nothing more than a slot on the server.

the higher ups there now are terrible rps and there cause all the god left and they only promoited ppl that play loads. I can list in one hand the god rper lts 

38 minutes ago, Micheal schmeichel said:

the higher ups there now are terrible rps and there cause all the god left and they only promoited ppl that play loads. I can list in one hand the god rper lts 

WOW rude :( No but any feedback I can get on how I could try and improve the RP would be nice, I agree aswell the RP is shit to what it use to be even though I haven't been on the APD for as long as u where i've still seen it as a civ

Just now, Mahdizzle said:

Yeah but if you know anything I can do just tell me, I know i might be slow in the head sometimes but still xD

Nothing you can do until it becomes a rule to act like a real life cop again. The solution has to come from the captains. Also, would be nice to have cops have the 50 cal truck again to deal with helicopters and Ifrits.

Just now, Rock Hardick said:

Nothing you can do until it becomes a rule to act like a real life cop again. The solution has to come from the captains. Also, would be nice to have cops have the 50 cal truck again to deal with helicopters and Ifrits.

Well someone has to start some where and im willing to try some shit out and see what can be done, 50cal prob wont come back unless MK1s are remvoed

Just now, Mahdizzle said:

Well someone has to start some where and im willing to try some shit out and see what can be done, 50cal prob wont come back unless MK1s are remvoed

If you want to help, petition with the other Sgts and Lts to have the Captains reform the guidebook and bring us back to our former glory. Once the rules are reinstated, people will have to retrain all the cops in how to act and RP. That is going to be one hell of a job but once we have a basic grounds set, training the new cadets coming on board will be easy. Especially if they already know what to expect from watching the reformed cops in the server to begin with.

Mahdizzle likes this