I think a really nice addition to the Altis map it will be a Locksmith location. How that works? After lockpicking a car/truck/helicopter  u'll not be able to get the keys for that car/truck/helicopter. They will become  only unlocked ( u can still sell it to the chop shop w/o having the keys).  After stealing the car u need to drive/fly to the locksmith, where u need to pay a fee ( like 30%-40% from the market value of the stolen vehicle ) in order to get the keys for that vehicle. After getting the keys from the locksmith , that vehicle becames yours and you are able to put it in your garage and use it when u like. ( Police and Medic vehicles will make an exception from being able to garage them). Locksmith it will be an illegal location which cops can raid it every 20 minutes. Anyone found in that location by the cops will give them probable cause to search you and your vehicle. 

Second option. Instead of a locksmith location we can make a Shady Mechanic location. In order to get the keys for that vehicle u need to go to the rebel base and buy a ignition switch ( illegal item that will show up when u get searched by the cops ). After buying the ignition switch u need to drive to the shady mechanic , pay a fee ( 30%-40% from the maket value of the stolen vehicle) for him to replace the original key switch with the one u bought. After that  u get the keys for the vehicle and u'll be able to garage it and use it when u want ( Police and Medic vehicles will make an exception from being able to garage them). Ofc this area is illegal aswell. 

P.S.  i know: Easy to say hard to make :) 

Mike Stmria, Bersabee and Olivia like this

I actually kinda like the idea of making vehicle theft good for something other than chop shops.  As it stands there is no reason to steal anything other than a chopper/hemmit/box truck because the fine will cost you more than the selling price.  I also like your idea of having it be a location rather than an item that allows you to keep the car.  Where i dont agree is the cost.  30%-40% of the vehicle cost plus the fine for vehicle theft will end up being much more than most of the lower vehicles cost to buy outright.  I think it should be a set fee say $500 to get the key made and should never apply to aircraft.  Hell you could even make it a resources game and require a certain amount of iron/copper ore or something and remove the money aspect entirely.

Edited by 2legit

Its a nice idea however it would encourage robbing new players so much more. The community already has few to many hobo robbers and its not healthy to the server.

People will go out for the sole purpose of sitting in towns waiting for people to pull trucks just to make it their own. Its already hard enough for new players.

20 hours ago, HotWings said:

Only if the vehicle showed up as stolen when the registration is run, and the cops could somehow manage to return it to its actual owner via impound or something.

Showing the original owner when u check registration should be available until the person who stolen the vehicle garage it. After that any trace of the original owner disappears. Even if the original owner finds his vehicle before  he gets garage by the new owner , he shouldn't  be able to unlock it because the new owner changed the locks from the car. The only way to return the car to the original owner is to have it impounded by the cops.

3 hours ago, maverick said:

Showing the original owner when u check registration should be available until the person who stolen the vehicle garage it. After that any trace of the original owner disappears. Even if the original owner finds his vehicle before  he gets garage by the new owner , he shouldn't  be able to unlock it because the new owner changed the locks from the car. The only way to return the car to the original owner is to have it impounded by the cops.

Then this idea is terrible.

• 5 months later...

Actually. I rather like that the vehicle would show up as stolen when checked. It makes the players want to be cautious. As in real life, as soon as the vin is run it shows the true owner. It would then be seized and returned to the original owner. Though the cops would have to have a reason to check the vehicle's vin number. And even if you gave a vehicle a new key, the vin number is often engraved in many parts of the vehicle.

Edited by Spacecase
It didn't quote the entire post i wanted.