How Asylum Is Turning Into North Korea

8 hours ago, SharingWriter said:

While your concern for the community may be in good taste, your talking about things that you are just assuming and nothing you mention you actually know anything about. This is why you use words like "probably".

Sharing, reasoning isnt allowed here buddy, go away.:FeelsBadMan:

2 hours ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Hello Keen12321 and the many others to comment here.

I would first like to thank you for making your post. Knowing that there are people here who do truly care is inspirational and refreshing. I understand your concerns that you have stated here. I'd like to dive into them a bit to clear up any confusion and answer some questions. 

I once looked at the graveyard and found post dating back into 2015 often stated asylum was dying. I'm sure everyone thought that was the truth and were convinced that we would not see 2016. Well I hate to dance and call myself Einstein, but here we are. I can assure you no admin wishes to ruin the server. When I ran the numbers, I found that admins have dedicated more time than i had previously thought. Doing a quick search I found the following. 21,453 player reports have been done. Each report takes about 7 minutes to complete from start to finish. Doing the math, that equals to 150,171 hours have been spent on these. That's a lot of dedicated time towards the community we are "trying to kill". Sadly, the time sync does not end there. Looking at the compensation request, I found there have been 12,331 request, totaling roughly 86,000 hours spent there. Again, that's a major time sync for the server the admins are trying to kill. I ask that you reflect on that, as i will be too while i drink down my morning cup of coffee. P.s that's a combined 236,488 hours, 9,853 days,and 26 years of work. That's just pure insanity that work has been done all by volunteers. With this point i have made, I ask that you rescind your comment that the admins are killing the server. All admins have given a lot, and as a fellow gamer, I'd hate for your words to make that worth nothing. 

I'd like to start by saying "F the APD".... ;)

Back to the point. 

Asylum has always been a "Cops vs Robbers" type of deal. I will admit that at one time, it was not as noticeable because the rebels were kept busy, and had less interactions with the APD. The very statements you made about the guidebook are false in nature, but I won't blame you for making them. I will also say that the rules are not always geared towards small group of rebels. But shall not let that fool you, or anyone else. I have seen a group of 4 rebels (Farmersville) absolutely dominate the APD, and equally so, I have seen large groups of rebels loose the the APD. I could feed you a line where I say "Record and Report" but I think you are already well aware due to your statements about the report corruption. Speaking of Officer reports, lets take a look. (Insert law and order music here). 

• 2,510 Officer reports for Sgt and below. When I searched "Action taken" in this section. I found 2,499 reports. From here, you can see the corruption here is at a all time high.....
  • 150 Lt reports have been made. I found that a search had returned 143 results. Another stunning example of corruption. 
  • 25 Captain reports have been made. Action has been taken 39 times. 

Bear in mind, that Action taken could be said in a single report multiple times. I just wanted to reference this for a perspective. 

With my ability to see all reports, I can assure you that no blatant favoritism is there. I'm sure the CoP could add some here @Clint Beastwood  

I wish there was a effective way to tell people that our main developers have absolutely nothing to do with Identity. @bamf and @Gnashes responsibility is here on the Arma side of things. @Paratus and @Motown are on the Identity side of things, and do not develop for Arma anymore.   I am rather confused where you gain the insight that they only play cop. That is just where you might hear their voice and see their tagged name. Let me rock your world for a second. That guy stealing your car is probably @Gnashes and the guy making you run around the Cocaine pit could be @bamf "CoCo hobo grab". I can't say with certainty that they have lost interest.... But take a look and see what game in your steam library that you have played for 5,000+ hours, and ask yourself if you still jump for joy every morning. 

As it is now, I have not seen any proposals made from you in regards to rule changes. I am more than willing to hear your concerns and ideas and presenting to the team. I like the saying here "If its not broke, don't fix it". 

Furthermore, I too love events. We had a great admin who made some really fun ones and made a extreme habit of running them as often as he could. Since he retired from the position, there has been a dry spell. @Deazy Johnson and @Reapered work to fill the gap there. It just might be that you're not on at the same time as they are. Events are out there, I can see them.

I would say that your comments about it being a money grab here are way off basis. The company that owns and runs Arma 3 @Bohemia Interactive have some very strict rules in regards to the way in which we are able to generate income. Every resource you use here costs real life money. We need to pay the bills to keep the servers here for you to use. If you have any ideas on how this can be accomplished while abiding by the rules, please refer to me. 

They appointed me into this position so that I could be that link between you, and the devs. I double checked my PM's on the forums and discord and didn't see anything from you. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something that you may have sent. I am always available, but be warned that I get a lot, and I mean a lot of messages between here and discord. I do sometime miss them... My apologies. 

In closing I'd like to state the following,

I personally appreciate the time you have spent here on asylum, that's a lot of hours! I have personally spent just above 5k hours here. I shaved it down to account for the times i have left the Arma launcher open. I appreciate your desire for us to thrive. However, I find that you theory on the wellbeing of Arma to be misplaced. Arma is a game that has been out for a long time, and has seen a decrease in the playerbase. We have been hit hard by this, but we are not down yet. It's truly sad that the Arma game developers have abandoned the development for it. I feel that they missed the mark here, but my hands are tied just like yours. I plan to be here until the lights shut off, and I get a 404. I'f you would like to talk further, find me. I just might be the one turning you into a milkshake on the server. 

With empathy,

Mitch 

Im gonna be honest, I think what we really want is a roadmap of features coming to us, we want to see where the donated money is going and what we can expect from it. I cant be the only one who feels like the money is for nothing. Ive never donated myself, but I would be willing to if i could see where it was going, and I actually see it being used for things that are needed like server performance and content.

Keen12321 and Maaqs like this
15 minutes ago, Randy. said:

Im gonna be honest, I think what we really want is a roadmap of features coming to us, we want to see where the donated money is going and what we can expect from it. I cant be the only one who feels like the money is for nothing. Ive never donated myself, but I would be willing to if i could see where it was going, and I actually see it being used for things that are needed like server performance and content.

This is an amazing idea

9 hours ago, Azeh said:

I was confident a portion of the community goal money would be spent on an external developer to help with performance, but nope, not a single penny of it has been spent on that. 

Actually it was, and what's more you know that (because you brought a guy in to do the work and he got paid).  I offered to continue his employment with us, but he said that the changes he could make going forward would not warrant continuing to be paid to do so.  Since then there hasn't really been a ton of money in the Community Goals anyway.  

7 hours ago, Digo said:

Straight to identity, which is probably bankrupt. 

The Arma server and Identity have nothing to do with one another at this point, other than the fact that Paratus is developing Identity.  

7 hours ago, DalBrow said:

its gonna flop 

See above - that has nothing to do with us.  I suggest you go and make your concerns known at identityrpg.com.

7 hours ago, BananaGoatPC said:

Cops do not care anymore about the RP or the fights involved they swoop in seize something and leave to secure it back at HQ and then come back to fight repeatedly. They swoop down from a heli and place a spike strip in front of you car which is insane how this is allowed and then they increase your tickets by 50% for trying to understand or just for RP-ing . You can kill all the cops you want when they come back 4+ times they are eventually going to hit a shot on you. 

I've said this tons of times on the forums here (as well as in TS, Discord, etc).  RP with the cops starts with the person who gets caught - not the cops.  You the captured person have to be good at RP, the cops need to be good at improv based on your RP.  Together you get an "RP experience" that can be great assuming you can play off each other well (as well as a ton of other factors that are too lengthy to mention).  

Just like some actors can't work well together, you may not always get a great "RP experience" each time you are captured by the APD.  Sometimes you two just won't mix for whatever reason.  But again, the onus is on the captured player to get the RP going.  The number of times I tried to get someone I'd captured talking while on the way back to HQ to be met with complete silence the whole ride followed by "give me my ticket asshole" once we got to the APD base was huge.  

4 hours ago, BananaGoatPC said:

Not so easy when your in a hemmit or box truck. Its the fact that this is even allowed. Or how police can swoop down in an orca or hunter seize something in your car leave and seize it back at hq then come back 5+ times to fight you even though you no longer have anything. Yesterday I had 2 police come down in an orca while i  was parked i ran to get cover they seized everything in side my car and flew away.

I think we can all agree that having your captured items go into an APD vehicle that your team can intercept and take back is better than it just going *poof* right? 

Now if they violate APD policy while doing something that is one thing, but you say you "took cover" and they seized all your stuff.  Was your vehicle in an illegal area?  Did it appear to be abondoned?  Did they attempt to contact you and let you know that they were going to search your vehicle?  There are a lot of details that are left out of that brief description of your encounter.  

---------------------

Now to the original post:  

No the servers aren't dead.  Are there fewer players now than there were 2 years ago?  Sure.  Again, the game has been around a long time and that's bound to happen.  

You say the "developers" have lost interest in the game.  While I certainly play the game a lot less than I used to (@Gnashes plays all the time though - and I had 5,000 in Asylum before becoming a developer), that doesn't mean I spend less time around here than I used to - you just likely don't see it.  I'm in TS nearly every day (just not generally in visible channels).  I do tons of things behind the scenes that you don't see as well - so I can try to seem like I'm around more, but I can promise you that I'm here.  

Things that you don't see that are happening in the background include coming up with new game systems that we think would work well with our community, as well as not terribly upset the balance we strive to maintain between factions.  Of the major game system enhancements I've created for the Asylum, most of them take dozens and dozens of hours to write up, bounce off other people, and then tweak - all before you get to actually developing the scripts to make them happen.  That being said, the "Rebel update" is written up and is the final stages of being tweaked.  

As for Identity, again that has nothing to do with what happens over here in the Arma community.  While we share a corporate overlord in Asylum Entertainment, that entity has never exerted any creative control over the Arma mod, nor does any money flow directly from here to Identity.  

I'm sure I've missed a few of your concerns, but I think the thing I'd like to leave you with is even though you may see me hanging out with people and/or playing other games, that doesn't mean that we are not actively working on new things for you here.  Remember, the environment we have created here for you is a sandbox.  We lay the groundwork for you, but there are tons and tons of things that players can do that they don't.  Some of the best experiences you have here in this community will have less to do with what I (or any developer implements), but instead will be things that you the player do on your own inside the of the world that we have set you loose into.  At least that was always true for me when I was just a regular player...