Democracy with the new captain position!

As mentioned in Ed's retirement thread, I think it would be nice if the new captain position was put down to an APD wide vote, rather than just the LTs.

Here is what I propose: Obviously there will be flaws and is totally open to criticism. 

All SGT+ Members of the APD are eligible to be nominated for the captain position. (I think anyone lower than this hasn't experienced the leadership area of the APD that would really be required)

All SGT+ Members of the APD are eligible to nominate someone to be brought into the voting stage (Bar themselves). If more than 10 people are nominated, the 10 with the most nominations are picked.

All Constable+ members of the APD at date of voting opening are eligible to vote (How this shall be done would be down to CMs, though I suggest anonymously and linked to forum account, to stop duplicate voting). Voting period would be 1 week. Person with most votes wins, If a tie, a second tiebreaker vote will take place. 

Of course, CMs reserve the right to pull out a candidate at any time, as there may be underlying reasons of why x cant become captain.

This should probably be in the officer section, but everyone's thoughts count. Feel free to move.

Edited by Hiraku
Hakeem and Atmosphere like this

The chief position was removed for a reason. It was an entire popularity contest and a large percentage of staff who were staff since then will attest to that.

Do you want the captain position to be removed now too?

The reason that the captains vote for the new captains is that only the captains know what they're looking for. You can't exactly be able to correctly tell me what a good captain is without actually holding the position.

Edited by Wondero
Scott and Olivia like this
1 hour ago, Wondero said:

The chief position was removed for a reason. It was an entire popularity contest and a large percentage of staff who were staff since then will attest to that.

The reason that the captains vote for the new captains is that only the captains now what they're looking for. You can't exactly be able to correctly tell me what a good captain is without actually holding the position.

Honestly I still don't understand why chief was removed. Was a fine rank in my eyes.

And honestly, if you think only captains know what makes a good captain you're a bit of a fool. It's a leadership position in a video game, it's not massively special, and the captains are primarily there to make sure the APD is a good gaming experience for the officers and civs, not to act like an asshole with a stick up their arse because they hold pretend power in a video game. 

A captain who is voted in by the populace is most likely going to be one there to have fun, and keep a balance so the APD and civs have fair, honest treatment. Not to throw points around because "Muh authority"

2 hours ago, Wondero said:

The reason that the captains vote for the new captains is that only the captains now what they're looking for. You can't exactly be able to correctly tell me what a good captain is without actually holding the position.

Sure we can blame it on it "being a popularity contest".. or, a regime removed the one person that had power over them, as well as the ability to punish them... So lets not buy into the bullshit propaganda and call it what it is k? might work on the kiddos but some of us see through it. 

I have said it before, I will say it again. Staff needs to be part of APD regulating. And if cost me my imaginary rank in a video game so players on this server can get proper due process / fairness, so be it.

Edited by Reavantos