Computer Or Laptop Suggestions

ZachBauer

Well I am in the market to either build a pc or purchase a new gaming laptop. Obviously I come here on this forum because I want something that will run Arma 3 much better then what I currently am..... As much as I would like to build a pc I also like portability. Being in the military I do travel home and the rare occasion I leave my room to spend the weekend elsewhere. I know ultimately building a PC is the best option. However it would be my first PC build so I would have no idea what pieces I'd need and what the good performers are. I'm not looking to have the best PC on asylum..... I just want something that will run the graphics better so I can actually make kills at a distance. A big question I have is what is really the difference  between a GTX 970 and a GTX 970M?

right now I am on a laptop with a geforce 840M and an i5 if that helps for any sort of comparison.

2 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Build a PC.

970 is a desktop card, 970m is a laptop graphics card. 970 is a desktop grade enthusiast card that has the normal works, the 970m is the mobile verison set to throttle when it gets hot, and also has less performance

If ArmA is your main game, get something like:

CPU: i5 4xxx or 6xxx  I recommend the 6600k, it's $250 and you won't need an upgrade for a while. You don't need an i7 if you don't do video editing or other core intensive tasks.

MB: Dependent on Case Size Dependent on your CPU and how you want your build to play out, OCing etc.

GPU: GTX 960 970, the 960 is trash value compared for what you say you want

RAM: 8gb Depending on your motherboard you may want 1 8GB stick for upgradability down the road.

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

I gave some lower pricepoint stuff, not everyone wants to spend 1k+.

But yes, its largely budget dependent. 

Well at the end of this week I will have about 2k but I am willing to spend max of 1500 I'd say. but I dont think I will need all 1500 to get what I need. Yes arma and CSGO are primary games

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.69 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($73.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($334.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 760T White V2 ATX Full Tower Case  ($139.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1330.30

Edited by Sean // Fitty Bread
Norwegianviking likes this
17 hours ago, Sean // Fitty Bread said:

looks nice!

18 hours ago, Sean // Fitty Bread said:

As if liquid cooling is necessary for an i5 6600k... imo instead get a Hyper 212 Evo and another SSD (M.2 120gb) for a dedicated boot drive.

11 minutes ago, Sean // Fitty Bread said:

fuck you nigga i aint tryna have no noisy ass parts get that shit away from me

curve that bb to 40% until it hits 90 and u got quiet ass cooling right there

This...

Cant believe people still use heatsinks that sound like 747's landing in their room.  H80i or bust.

3 minutes ago, Sean // Fitty Bread said:

fuck you nigga i aint tryna have no noisy ass parts get that shit away from me

curve that bb to 40% until it hits 90 and u got quiet ass cooling right there

Lmao to each his own. Just noticed the WD 1tb you listed was blue as well lol. @ZachBauer Spend the extra $20 and get a WD black. If your budget really is $1500 then you could just get the H100i as well as the boot drive I linked above. Nothing wrong with having a quieter machine but I assume that when someone says $1500 is budget they wouldn't mind spending less than that.

Just now, StonedPhoenix said:

Lmao to each his own. Just noticed the WD 1tb you listed was blue as well lol. @ZachBauer Spend the extra $20 and get a WD black. If your budget really is $1500 then you could just get the H100i as well as the boot drive I linked above. Nothing wrong with having a quieter machine but I assume that when someone says $1500 is budget they wouldn't mind spending less than that.

lithen fam why r u hating on the build i made in 40 seconds bruv

u tryna square up bitch

why the fuck does a nigga need a 120gb boot drive and not just put it on the 250SSD ALREADY INCLUDED BITCH THINKING A NOISY ASS CPU FAN IS GOOD get yo ass outta here

btwdidntevenseeitwasbluefamalreadyfixed

Just now, Clint Beastwood said:

This...

Cant believe people still use heatsinks that sound like 747's landing in their room.  H80i or bust.

I actually do have an H100i. However when I originally built my PC I was on a budget like ZachBauer, so for a short time there was a Hyper 212 Evo in it. With all the background noise in my house I could seldom hear it.

57 minutes ago, Sean // Fitty Bread said:

lithen fam why r u hating on the build i made in 40 seconds bruv

u tryna square up bitch

why the fuck does a nigga need a 120gb boot drive and not just put it on the 250SSD ALREADY INCLUDED BITCH THINKING A NOISY ASS CPU FAN IS GOOD get yo ass outta here

btwdidntevenseeitwasbluefamalreadyfixed

Right because you're the only one that is allowed to offer constructive criticism without it being construed as talking shit. A 120gb M.2 SSD is so cheap nowadays that it's a waste not to get one. Faster boot times, snappier OS. Go ahead and install your OS on a 250gb SSD and then fill it up 90% of the way with games and see how slugish it gets. 

Edited by StonedPhoenix
btwyoudidntfixshitsimplymadeitworse