Talent "Perk" system

So I was browsing some old topics in the forum and discovered a few people kept on asking for more talent points. What if instead of adding more talent points, there could be a way to add more customization by still maintaining the same talent tree system we have now but adding a bit more to the mix. Allow me to explain myself...

Keep the talent tree system in place but add a separate Talent "Perk" slot that a player can access from Talent points tab on your phone and players could choose what perks they could have active at the time. For those who have played KoTH, it would be similar to that. Players will have a max of 3 perk slots active at a time, if a player wishes to change their perks, they can but must pay a fee to change it and will reset progress towards pro version, perks will have a "pro" version (similar to call of duty style of perks) the more you use that perk, the better it will get, thus giving you more benefit.

These are just some of the ones I could think of at the time but this is mainly so you get an idea of what I'm talking about.

• Talent Perks (only 3 active at a time)
    - Lightweight - Stamina drains slower, replenishes quicker (pro version)
    - Lawyer - Requires 1 less approval vote to get out from courtroom, Charges have less value towards jail time (pro version)
    - Mechanic - Repairing vehicles is faster, (Pro version TBA)
    - Fisherman - Catching fish is quicker, Receive double the amount of money per fish sold (includes turtles) (pro version)
    - Narco - Processing drugs is quicker, 50% quicker yield at drug fields (pro version)
    - Lungs of Steel - Hold breath longer while underwater, Can hold breath for double duration while aimed down sight (pro version)
    - Surgeon - Can revive quicker, (pro version TBA)
    - Charismatic - Products bought from stores cost 5% less, Receive 10-20% more when selling/chopping any product (pro version)

These are just some of the ones I could think of at the time but this is mainly so you get an idea of what I'm talking about.  *For those who need a visual representation*

d0348b5f6878d4d941bff1b7cb2ed4ce.png

P.S. you may feel as if some if not most of these perks look like trash, this is simply just to get a feeling of the system, not the perks themselves.

So basically, you're suggesting we add more talent points, without adding more talent points.

We'll just call them perks instead?

Talents, Gang perks, Honor/Infamy tree + (extra) Perks. 

I don't know man... all the perk trees are confusing to people as it is already. They don't even know the Infamy tree exists sometimes, or that the gang perks are even there.

Google™ likes this
Just now, Big Fred said:

So basically, you're suggesting we add more talent points, without adding more talent points.

We'll just call them perks instead?

I don't know man... all the perk trees are confusing to people as it is already. They don't even know the Infamy tree exists sometimes, or that the gang perks are even there.

I see your point but the current system in place only benefits those who go a certain route.

Just now, Big Fred said:

Talents: Universal way of people upgrading their character

Gang perks: only available if in a gang

Honor/Infamy: only available for bounty hunters

My idea would basically add another universal way of "leveling" while still maintaining the Asylum feeling.

Edited by Joel
Just now, Joel said:

I see your point but the current system in place only benefits those who go a certain route.

That's the point. You chose a path (class) where you level up.

By doing so you may excel in one area, but you'll have to leave something else behind. 

Typical RPG (MMORPG) game choices. You can't have the cake and eat it.

Just now, Joel said:

My idea would basically add another universal way of "leveling"

Yes. Basically just more talent points. But you're putting them in another section on the in-game phone and call it something else. 

From a game designer point of view, you have the civilian talent tree as a base setting (universal tree), where everyone can level up.
Then, if they chose to upgrade to either a Rebel or Bounty Hunter (specific tree), they unlock even more (additional) talents.  

If you want to give the player base more universal choices to upgrade, I don't see the point in adding another layer in the phone menu, when the designer can just add more talents and talent points in the (universal) civilian tree. If anything, such a route would just get confusing.

I see your point though. Adding more choices could be fun.  

Having said all the above, I have to add that I like the look of this though:

e6UFPNz.png

Would be cool if there were more venues to level up for civilians instead of just going Bounty Hunter or Rebel.
What if someone is a part time EMT, or a Mechanic, or a smelly Fisherman?

Such layers could be implemented and added just like they added the Infamy tree and the Honor tree.
It would however, mean that you'd have to choose between them all. 
They wouldn't be universal and available to everyone.

Joel likes this

Go to the Fish market, purchase the Fisherman license: unlock the Fisherman tree.
Go to the Hospital, purchase the off-duty EMT license: unlock the Off-duty EMT tree.
Go to the Gas-station, purchase the Mechanic license: unlock the Mechanic tree.
Go to the  Court House, purchase a lawyers degree: unlock the Lawyer tree.
Go to the drug dealer, purchase something else, unlock the Trainspotting tree.

Choose life.
Choose a job.
Choose a career.
Choose a family,

Choose a fucking big television
Choose washing machines, cars,
Compact disc players, and electrical tin openers.
Choose good health, low cholesterol
And dental insurance.
Edited by Big Fred
Joel likes this