Intel i7 vs Intel Xeon E5-1620?

USCCHRIS

My current specs are:

Processor: Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 GHz)

Ram: 8 GB (2x 4 GB)

Video Card: Asus GTX 970 Strix

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer majorly to either an Intel i7 or an Intel Xeon E5-1620 and upgrading to 32 GB RAM, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend one over the other? Or if someone could give me more information on both based on personal use?

All I've heard is that the i7 is slightly faster but Xeon is more reliable, so tell me what you know!

1 hour ago, USCCHRIS said:

My current specs are:

Processor: Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 GHz)

Ram: 8 GB (2x 4 GB)

Video Card: Asus GTX 970 Strix

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer majorly to either an Intel i7 or an Intel Xeon E5-1620 and upgrading to 32 GB RAM, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend one over the other? Or if someone could give me more information on both based on personal use?

All I've heard is that the i7 is slightly faster but Xeon is more reliable, so tell me what you know!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559

3 minutes ago, USCCHRIS said:

I understand what you're saying but why does that make it no good? If it's supposed to be stronger why wouldn't it run games better?

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/64621/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1620-10M-Cache-3_60-GHz-0_0-GTs-Intel-QPI

It's currently running a 32 nm process technology whilst the skylake has a 14nm, there's a lot less features. Theres more but currently in a hotel bedroom writing this on my phone.

Do not get a Xeon it's not ment for gaming, yes it will work but you'll get better performance for cheaper. 

7 minutes ago, Norwegianviking said:

If you want the latest xeon then go for this

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16819117613

And yeah I see you need a new cpu, that gpu is probably getting bottleneckt

It's pretty much I either buy a completely new i7 or a Xeon E5-1620 for half price cause my friend had two. Would it be a better deal to take the half price Xeon? It's new, and it's like $125-150. I can get the Xeon to 4.4 Ghz without burning it out.

Edited by USCCHRIS
1 minute ago, USCCHRIS said:

It's pretty much I either buy a completely new i7 or a Xeon E5-1620 for half price cause my friend had two. Would it be a better deal to take the half price Xeon? It's new, and it's like $125-150

Do you have to mother board that support it? Its up to you man but remember that it's a 4 year old cpu. If you want to know more about xeon then watch this video

USCCHRIS likes this
14 minutes ago, Eden said:

@Norwegianviking & @TheRealLethal    what size monitor, hertz and resolution yall play on. Also what your settings look like?

I have a shity BenQ 21.5 inch 1080p monitor and a 10 year old NEC 15 inch 720p 2nd monitor.  Both are set at 60 hz. Don't have a lot of space at my desk so can't really upgrade. 

Setting I don't have atm but I I'm using one that bikstok linked a while ago. 

27 minutes ago, Eden said:

@Norwegianviking & @TheRealLethal    what size monitor, hertz and resolution yall play on. Also what your settings look like?

I play on a 1440p monitor, i used to play at 60htz, but i haved upped it to 144 because i get retardedly high fps now. 

ee5e3819845d8955f456ddb12ffc1c91.png

Heres the settings i use

heres what my game looks like at cartels: 

I am also using the performance binary.

Edited by TheRealLethal
9 minutes ago, TheRealLethal said:

I play on a 1440p monitor, i used to play at 60htz, but i haved upped it to 144 because i get retardedly high fps now. 

ee5e3819845d8955f456ddb12ffc1c91.png

Heres the settings i use

heres what my game looks like at cartels: 

I am also using the performance binary.

lethal, what pc u have? I am thinking about i7 6700k but friend that works with pcs said get i7 4790k. I've ordered gtx1070 for this pc aswell

Just now, Apci said:

lethal, what pc u have? I am thinking about i7 6700k but friend that works with pcs said get i7 4790k. I've ordered gtx1070 for this pc aswell

the way i look at it, why buy a Previous Gen CPU when you can get a skylake (which supports DDR4 btw) for nearly the same price. I would go with a 6700k every time. 

Norwegianviking likes this
Just now, Eden said:

any chance u can link the performance binary @TheRealLethal 

direct link:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/AAC3uieiD4L68vjiHcJlXf5wa/162perf6/arma3client_performance_162_137698_v6.7z?dl=0

Sauce (in case dropbox links scare you): https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-162-performance-binary-feedback/

if instructions are unclear, feel free to message me