A New Player's Perspective on Asylum

Yesterday I logged into Asylum for the first time and had some very positive and very negative experiences. I only purchased Arma 3 less than a week ago and, as a role player, I truly love Altis Life. That said, I've spent a lot of time going from server to server trying to find one that is a right fit for me, especially being one of the rare few ladies that enjoy the game.

When I arrived in Asylum, I was immediately impressed. It wasn't one of the "here, have everything for free" servers that I see out there. You actually started with a fairly low sum which suited me just fine.

Then I saw the leveling system and the general work that had gone into this server and thought, "FINALLY, this is the server I've been looking for". It is clear the staff have put a lot of hard work into Asylum and it was appreciated. I ran around town, got my starter gear, even bought a quad bike and rode out to pick fruit. I made it back, managed to sell and bank my profits, and then it all fell apart.

The next hour was insane. It was like watching a bunch of teenage boys running around killing people non stop. I called the police twice, and to their credit, they did show up one time, but it was a massacre. I had no money on me and got held up. OK, np, I complied with the robber who...for whatever reason (perhaps because I was a waste of time) decided to just shoot me in the head. I didn't complain, I respawned, new life and all, and within 5 minutes got cornered in a building with some teenage kid that needed a good smack in the mouth for calling me a faggot, and because I wouldn't give him my newbie clothes and told him he should leave because I called the police, he killed me. This went on, and on, and on. By the end of the evening, I was hating my "altis" life and logged off the server saddened that it was y et another one in the "not for me" column.

Like I said, I thought the server had many great aspects to it. I don't mind earning my own way, I look forward to it in fact. But doing so on Asylum, is an exercise in futility I can do without. I really wanted the opportunity to experience the leveling system, housing, become a medic, and enjoy all of the other fun treats the server had to offer, but the treat of constant death drove me away. I would strongly encourage the admin's to give new players some form of protection or institute a voluntary PVP system where someone can participate in that once they have reached a certain point (and have at least some kind of chance against the bullies running rampant).

I hope this was helpful. It is in no way meant to be anything but.

Best of luck.

i would advise new players to stay out of kavala, somewhere like sofia is a good place. It rarely has more than a couple people that arw there to sell meth and dont want to gain attention by the police. As for kavala, i tend to go around arresting those people who just say hans up and shoot, they often combat log and stay away from me. Also, what server was it on and do you know their names? sound like a nice pay day, ill give you a lil bit of money if i see you like i do with newer people who het robbed constantly.

Thank you. That was very kind. I don't really want to take anyone's money. I have NO problem earning my own way. I'll give the server another try and see how Sofia works. I was indeed in Kavala, at the car shop/market area. I don't remember their names off hand. It just amazed me. I spent half the time hiding trying to take down names for the police as I saw people getting shot, and the other half getting shot myself even after asking them not to since I was brand new! What I would appreciate, as someone not only new to Altis but to Arma in general, is any advice on getting started. The apple picking thing didn't seem to be much of a payout (maybe 300-400) but I planned to do that for a while. Thank you again!

p.s. At some point I really want to become a medic. I know I could never be a cop (i'm just not that good) but as a medic, I wouldn't have to leave Kavala lol! I figured I'd be a law-abiding civ for a while until I learned my way around a bit better and then make some inquiries to see if medics are needed.

Well..Sofia was no better. Within 5 minutes of getting my quad out of the garage I got held up at the ATM and the robber demanded I unlock it and give it to him. I told him I wouldn't. I had less than 2k to my name and this was only my second day, he killed me...

Respawned, 2 mins later got shot off my quad as I was going down the road and it was carjacked...I give up.

Is it legal to kill medics on this server? Also, I don't know the controls for saving someone. I read the medic post but it didn't specifically say what key combinations to use.

I probably don't have the money to be a medic.

Thank you for the advice! I will try a medic. I went back and read the guide and I think I'd be a good medic. I'm just curious if medics get robbed as much as a normal civ. I wouldn't think they would because it wouldn't pay to be on their shit list since you might need them yourself...but then again, this server is rampant with death! I was just in a jury hearing and the police officer told us he was going to drown the guy! Then proceeded to start shooting the jury!! Fortunately I didn't die and I got my 2k lol.

I remember you. You were bitching (rightfully so) at all the server restart screamers in side :P

Yeah stay out of kavala in general unless you have lots of friends or people know you. The biggest thing about this game is you NEED friends to stay alive. It's much less likely for small time robbers to go for you if you're with a few people. Being a girl (sorry) but making friends shouldn't be an issue here xP

Awesome. I've had a great time the past couple hours. Thank you so much for your help. I made about 8k but hey, I didn't get shot once so that's a good thing. I think we should get reimbursed for all the other stuff we do like splints, blood bags, etc. but ah well. I ended up forgetting to drink, didn't die, but had hydration at 0 and suddenly couldn't run anymore. I bought some water and still could not run. I tried resetting my configuration and everything but no go. I've logged off, hopefully it will work itself out, but otherwise, good times! Thanks again!!

Kavala is a shit show. If you wanna hang around kavala here's 3 things that will greaty improve your experience:

1. Join a gang that always hangs around kavala (they'll have your back)

2. Be friendly and make friends with all the kavalians on the server you play on. Before long they'll all have your back too

3. Don't carry anything more valuable than a rook! Cause if you have nothing on you and get killed, all they've robbed you from was 30 seconds :)

Yesterday I logged into Asylum for the first time and had some very positive and very negative experiences. I only purchased Arma 3 less than a week ago and' date=' as a role player, I truly love Altis Life. That said, I've spent a lot of time going from server to server trying to find one that is a right fit for me, especially being one of the rare few ladies that enjoy the game.

When I arrived in Asylum, I was immediately impressed. It wasn't one of the "here, have everything for free" servers that I see out there. You actually started with a fairly low sum which suited me just fine.

Then I saw the leveling system and the general work that had gone into this server and thought, "FINALLY, this is the server I've been looking for". It is clear the staff have put a lot of hard work into Asylum and it was appreciated. I ran around town, got my starter gear, even bought a quad bike and rode out to pick fruit. I made it back, managed to sell and bank my profits, and then it all fell apart.

The next hour was insane. It was like watching a bunch of teenage boys running around killing people non stop. I called the police twice, and to their credit, they did show up one time, but it was a massacre. I had no money on me and got held up. OK, np, I complied with the robber who...for whatever reason (perhaps because I was a waste of time) decided to just shoot me in the head. I didn't complain, I respawned, new life and all, and within 5 minutes got cornered in a building with some teenage kid that needed a good smack in the mouth for calling me a faggot, and because I wouldn't give him my newbie clothes and told him he should leave because I called the police, he killed me. This went on, and on, and on. By the end of the evening, I was hating my "altis" life and logged off the server saddened that it was y et another one in the "not for me" column.

Like I said, I thought the server had many great aspects to it. I don't mind earning my own way, I look forward to it in fact. But doing so on Asylum, is an exercise in futility I can do without. I really wanted the opportunity to experience the leveling system, housing, become a medic, and enjoy all of the other fun treats the server had to offer, but the treat of constant death drove me away. I would strongly encourage the admin's to give new players some form of protection or institute a voluntary PVP system where someone can participate in that once they have reached a certain point (and have at least some kind of chance against the bullies running rampant).

I hope this was helpful. It is in no way meant to be anything but.

Best of luck.

[/quote']

Welcome aboard m8. I'll be honest with ya... there is a reason Asylum is considered the Cadillac of all Altis life servers... I will tell u u will meet some ass holes but I have met some truly awesome people on here. Stay outta Kavala at all costs. If ya like RP there are people like you who can talk for hours.... if you like shooting I can tell you Asylum is home to some of the most ELITE ArmA 3 players. Something for eeryone.

Thanks for the tip. As a civ, I left Kav and tried Sofia and while it wasn't the blood bath Kav was, I still got killed twice within a 5 minute period. Playing as an EMT was a much better situation but that doesn't mean it will be that way tonight haha. Now if I could only get my driving skills down! I drive with the keyboard in 1st person (double tapping the alt key to look around is my only salvation) and to spite my best efforts NOT to hit something, I ultimately do lol. Third person driving allows you to see more but I tend to have a harder time with actually staying in the right lane :P !! I guess when they refer to women drivers, they meant me. All I gotta say if you see my coming down the road with sirens and lights going, be warned!