Ak-47 / Mk series

this came up in another topic but figured i'd make a post of it. 

i've seen a few people excited about the Ak-47 thinking it will be a heavy hitter like MK series but with more ammo!

but hold up as most of you know already (maybe?) they both fire completely different rounds. In fact the AK round is closer to the 6.5mm round the MX fires than it is the MK's.

While I am still excited about the AK's making their way back into Arma and believe they will be a strong weapon, they will not replace the MK as the top dog weapon.

in visual reference this is a comparison of what the rounds actually look like.

Left = 7.62x54r (Rahim round, although Arma fucked up this rounds ballistics)

Middle = 7.62x51 NATO (MK ammunition)

Right = 7.62x39 (AK-47 food)

1uxSSxe.jpg

Professor Pericles likes this
1 hour ago, Cassettes said:

I think the AK will be better in close counter fights such as urban fighting and things 1-300 meters. The Mk will be better during 300-600, and the Rahim and other sniper rifles 600-1k.

It's all about fighting style, they're all 7.62s it's a matter of scenario I guess.

My thoughts exactly.  Also depending on if they allow optics to be mounted on the AKM and AK74u, if you can't then it would be a go to CQB gun and good for defending yourself with for drug running and other activities where hostiles will be close.

On June 9, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Das Otter said:

this came up in another topic but figured i'd make a post of it. 

i've seen a few people excited about the Ak-47 thinking it will be a heavy hitter like MK series but with more ammo!

but hold up as most of you know already (maybe?) they both fire completely different rounds. In fact the AK round is closer to the 6.5mm round the MX fires than it is the MK's.

While I am still excited about the AK's making their way back into Arma and believe they will be a strong weapon, they will not replace the MK as the top dog weapon.

in visual reference this is a comparison of what the rounds actually look like.

Left = 7.62x54r (Rahim round, although Arma fucked up this rounds ballistics)

Middle = 7.62x51 NATO (MK ammunition)

Right = 7.62x39 (AK-47 food)

1uxSSxe.jpg

Thank you for pointing this out. Drives me batshit crazy when the ak round is ballisticaly compared to the  MK round as an equivalent. It's literally half the powder, just the same projectile diameter.