What Should I Upgrade?

Cynica

So I got a got my tax credit of $3,000 this year, so I am going to try to pay a few bills, put some money back, and upgrade my PC a bit. I have a basic idea of what I wan't to upgrade, but wanted recommendations from other peers. Figured I could toss $1000 at my PC without feeling bad, so that is the budget for this upgrade. I have included links to each of my parts in the titles for convenience. 

What I Have

CPU: My CPU is still standard from when I bought a pre-built computer back in 2011. I am currently running an i7-2600 3.6 GHz. While this chipset leaves little to be desired, she has done me well so far.

Motherboard: My motherboard was also stock in this pre-built ASUS garbage. Currently sporting the less than luxurious ASUS CG8350. Doesn't seem to be bottlenecking speeds as of right now, but might after the upgrade.

Memory: My memory has been updated recently, it could still use some work, but is far from the worst. I am currently running 16 GB of DDR3 1600.

SSD: My SSD is used for office applications and Window boot only. Only games that go on my SSD are those who have huge benefits, such as Minecraft. Nothing special, 120 GB SSD I got on black Friday for super cheap.

HDD: Nothing special here, just a 2TB data-drive. My hard drive had crashed a few months ago and I bought this as a recovery. All I cared about at the time of purchase was it being 7200 RPM.

GPU: Literally the worst thing in the case. Still from when I bought the PC a PNY Nvidia 460 GTX w/ 1GB of VRAM.

What I Want:

I only have a few specification on what I want. 

• Must meet the budget of $1000
  • Must be Nvidia ShadowPlay compatible

What I Am Buying:

This is a section for what I have decided to buy as of right now. Keep this as a basis for the other categories. While these opinions can be swayed, its the optimal choice I have, as of right now.

Case: Rosewill THOR v2-WWhite Edtion, Gaming ATX Full Tower

I appreciate you all for helping. Just trying to find some people to bounce ideas off of. My peripherals I have actually spent quite a bit of money on, and they are all up-to-date, so that is a battle for another day. That being said I will be buying a new desk chair.

Edited by Cynica
1 minute ago, Cynica said:

This current one is prebuilt and it is literal trash. Don't get me wrong, I can still play new games and it is 5 years old, but it is def. time to upgrade.

I am not talking about going to like Walmart and buying one, anything sold in those types of stores are absolute trash. Go online and find you a good deal on one and take parts from your current like HD and such. 

Seems as if you have a lot of options for $1000. As hotwings said, You can upgrade your those 3 components and stick with the other components of your computer.

Just a basic search for less than 1k.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

ASRock Z97 KILLER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (5 star rating with minimal price. Interchangeable)

MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card

Total cost is $986. Obviously it could go a little cheaper if you would like but this here seems to be a good place to start with. 

Cre likes this

I'm guessing that your Mobo is LGA 1155 socket, meaning if you were to retain your Mobo and upgrade your CPU alone you would not be able to go higher than an i7-3770k. If you upgrade your mobo, you can go for a 1150 socket (i7-4790k). Or you can go for 1151 socket (Skylake) and get either an i5 6600k, or i7 6700k.

I often recommend people to check out http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc for help in upgrading their components on a specific budget.

CPU Links:

CPU Cooler:

• Noctua NH-D15
  • Noctua NH-D14
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • Bequiet Dark Rock 3

GPU: (For 1080p, I'd simply recommend 970 or R9 390. If you plan on going 1440p, then maybe invest into the 980)

Treeherder and Agent X like this
31 minutes ago, Agent X said:

Seems as if you have a lot of options for $1000. As hotwings said, You can upgrade your those 3 components and stick with the other components of your computer.

Just a basic search for less than 1k.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

ASRock Z97 KILLER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (5 star rating with minimal price. Interchangeable)

MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card

Total cost is $986. Obviously it could go a little cheaper if you would like but this here seems to be a good place to start with. 

Very nice list. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Creic said:

I'm guessing that your Mobo is LGA 1155 socket, meaning if you were to retain your Mobo and upgrade your CPU alone you would not be able to go higher than an i7-3770k. If you upgrade your mobo, you can go for a 1150 socket (i7-4790k). Or you can go for 1151 socket (Skylake) and get either an i5 6600k, or i7 6700k.

I often recommend people to check out http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc for help in upgrading their components on a specific budget.

CPU Links:

CPU Cooler:

• Noctua NH-D15
  • Noctua NH-D14
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • Bequiet Dark Rock 3

GPU: (For 1080p, I'd simply recommend 970 or R9 390. If you plan on going 1440p, then maybe invest into the 980)

Very thorough. I appreciate it. I have no problems finding parts, just want to find other suggestions. A sandwich not made by you always tastes better.

Cre and Agent X like this

1. Wait for socket 1151(Skylake)  mobo's to drop a little more in price and overclock an i5 6600K to 4.5GHz.

2. Wait for the Nvidia GTX 980Ti (Maxwell GPU) to go on sales when those new Nvidia Pascal GPU's launches.

3. Get some DDR4 RAM's to go with that socket 1151 Mobo.

4. ???

5. Profit

Just my 2€

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.94 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1055.90

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LB4J3C

16 minutes ago, Chan Wong said:

What is a normal temperature? Is mine really hot? Im only running hearthstone right now...

I have my i5 2500k overclocked to 4.6ghz and it usually runs around 50C. Thats with a decent fan and heatsink. I think the cpu's won't start throttling until around 90-95 C but according to intel your max average temp should not exceed 66.8C at the IHS (I think, never really understood what tCase actually meant) where as mine says 72C. It might be that the number is not the same place as the software your using is taking the temp (core temp vs heatsink temp or whatever) but your's still seems a little warm. Are you using the heatsink and fan that came with the cpu? Sometimes if your case doesn't have adequate air flow those don't work so well. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/63698/Intel-Core-i7-3820-Processor-10M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

1 minute ago, Shalobee said:

I have my i5 2500k overclocked to 4.6ghz and it usually runs around 50C. Thats with a decent fan and heatsink. I think the cpu's won't start throttling until around 90-95 C but according to intel your max average temp should not exceed 66.8C at the IHS (I think, never really understood what tCase actually meant) where as mine says 72C. It might be that the number is not the same place as the software your using is taking the temp (core temp vs heatsink temp or whatever) but your's still seems a little warm. Are you using the heatsink and fan that came with the cpu? Sometimes if your case doesn't have adequate air flow those don't work so well. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/63698/Intel-Core-i7-3820-Processor-10M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

I bought my pc "out of the box" from a very popular norwegian store. (komplett.no)

It's exactly how it was when I bought it.

5 minutes ago, Chan Wong said:

I bought my pc "out of the box" from a very popular norwegian store. (komplett.no)

It's exactly how it was when I bought it.

If it runs fine then its probably ok. I would say if you have had it for more than a month and it runs fine under load then its probably fine. Being on the warm side isn't so bad if its running stable.