WoW

john_gotti

yeah, i'm almost lvl 30 on nostalrius. does anybody know what will happen when they reach the last patch of vanilla? do they go to TBC? 

@xFurnish it will skyrocket but it usually dies before the next major patch. WoD is a good example, there was a sharp increase of subscribers but after the first patc it dwindled to the lowest it's been since the beginning of Vanilla.

40 minutes ago, john_gotti said:

yeah, i'm almost lvl 30 on nostalrius. does anybody know what will happen when they reach the last patch of vanilla? do they go to TBC? 

@xFurnish it will skyrocket but it usually dies before the next major patch. WoD is a good example, there was a sharp increase of subscribers but after the first patc it dwindled to the lowest it's been since the beginning of Vanilla.

They confirmed they'll make TBC on another server, but you'll be able to copy your characters over to it.

10 hours ago, xFurnish said:

It's at a low because it's nearing the end of the expac, it'll skyrocket again once legion comes out. 

Do you really think it will sky rocket on Legions launch? Either way I am playing WoW again so my choices are Nostalrius or level a character on regular.

23 minutes ago, instamac said:

Do you really think it will sky rocket on Legions launch? Either way I am playing WoW again so my choices are Nostalrius or level a character on regular.

honestly just play nostalrius. it's like reliving the memories of vanilla WoW. the community is super friendly, people are there to have fun to gain a sense of nostalgia, the dev team constantly fixes bugs and updates according to the patches.

28 minutes ago, instamac said:

It normally always does, they usually gain another 4-6million subs back, then once those 4-6mill basically finish all quests/professions/ect. and finish mythic raids then there really is no point into paying for a game that you have essentially "finished". 

Edited by xFurnish
2 hours ago, xFurnish said:

It normally always does, they usually gain another 4-6million subs back, then once those 4-6mill basically finish all quests/professions/ect. and finish mythic raids then there really is no point into paying for a game that you have essentially "finished". 

That tends to be true.  but at the same time, every recent expansion has left them with less and less subs.  WoD I think was the one to really make them lose a lot of subs and there's so many reasons why.  I like WoW and i'm someone who doesn't like the whole "WoW is dying!" thing but I do question where WoW will be in a couple of years if they remain on the same track.

Furnish,

Ogre has been paying attention to the more respected "raiding guilds" who dedicate the majority of their time to being the first ones to clear an expansions expac. It speaks volumes that Vodka has disbanded, and before that even one of the big three guilds in the last few expansions, paragon disband. Population aside, they are definitely one of the pillars of warcrafts communities. With their departure.. It's a subtle sign that the game is definitely in decline.

29 minutes ago, OgreTV said:

Furnish,

Ogre has been paying attention to the more respected "raiding guilds" who dedicate the majority of their time to being the first ones to clear an expansions expac. It speaks volumes that Vodka has disbanded, and before that even one of the big three guilds in the last few expansions, paragon disband. Population aside, they are definitely one of the pillars of warcrafts communities. With their departure.. It's a subtle sign that the game is definitely in decline.

Or people are getting older and they have to get on with their lives instead of sitting around and playing wow all day. Most of those people are planning on, or already have families. 

40 minutes ago, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

That tends to be true.  but at the same time, every recent expansion has left them with less and less subs.  WoD I think was the one to really make them lose a lot of subs and there's so many reasons why.  I like WoW and i'm someone who doesn't like the whole "WoW is dying!" thing but I do question where WoW will be in a couple of years if they remain on the same track.

I feel that if they would actually go the path that the community wants with the "lore", then I think that they can easily come back, so many people want to have some sort of expac based around the other side of the planet and to have more lore about the old gods, fuck if they did something like that I would be ecstatic. 

Calling attention to ogres argument being that hardcore raider base is a good way to track a game. Like comic books, it's the people who spend the most time in it that invest the most into the genre. When they leave, the casuals flicker in and flicker out. If you lose your core element, your base shrivels.

As for vodka and the other major guilds which are a plenty that are relevant within the top percentile for progression.. They usually die out because they cannot find the proper replacements for their players who do leave whether for boredom, life or what have you. Why can't they just pick up the next guy and train them up you may ask? That'd be like asking why envy doesn't just recruit people from ex gang and train them up to be like them.. There's only so much you can teach m behaviors and mentality need to be aligned. You could try to stick it out and wait for the magical replacement to happen, which leads to the most Important element, motivation.. Without that, guilds will crumble as their trusted people grow tired or have to leave for life purposes.. The raiding community in general is on the decline. It won't be a shock to see a focus on pve diminish with the next couple of expansions as the big names leave the community. 

Works story for ogre has declined. It began after Lich king when they began killing major people off. What they did to garrosh character was a crime too.. But that doesn't necessarily take away from the genuinely funny moments ogre had with the quests in each expansion. But once the quests were finished and all that was left to raid, he found with each expansion there would seemingly be less focus on story for raids. That's what kills it for ogre, no story, no fun. Still would say ogre has good things to say for the aging game. Ogre will blame the negatives on Activision though.. Hah.

Tldr; cater to your hardcore audience's tastes, and try to hold on to them as long as you can, ogre believes it's the lack of catering to its hardcore crowd is what lead to the decline.

Edited by OgreTV
john_gotti likes this

EVE Online is the only MMO that has kept me near-permanently subbed since I started playing it around 7 years ago. I guess I just have a thing for sandbox MMOs that dont limit you into a "Themepark" system with levels and locked zones.

Its a really good game, but fairly complicated and very unique is how it is played, so its definetly not for everyone. Worth checking out if you like sci-fi/space and games that require you to interact with other players for the best experience. (4000 man battles are a spectacle to see, but small gang and solo PVP are incredible too.)

Edited by Hiraku
4 hours ago, OgreTV said:

Calling attention to ogres argument being that hardcore raider base is a good way to track a game. Like comic books, it's the people who spend the most time in it that invest the most into the genre. When they leave, the casuals flicker in and flicker out. If you lose your core element, your base shrivels.

As for vodka and the other major guilds which are a plenty that are relevant within the top percentile for progression.. They usually die out because they cannot find the proper replacements for their players who do leave whether for boredom, life or what have you. Why can't they just pick up the next guy and train them up you may ask? That'd be like asking why envy doesn't just recruit people from ex gang and train them up to be like them.. There's only so much you can teach m behaviors and mentality need to be aligned. You could try to stick it out and wait for the magical replacement to happen, which leads to the most Important element, motivation.. Without that, guilds will crumble as their trusted people grow tired or have to leave for life purposes.. The raiding community in general is on the decline. It won't be a shock to see a focus on pve diminish with the next couple of expansions as the big names leave the community. 

Works story for ogre has declined. It began after Lich king when they began killing major people off. What they did to garrosh character was a crime too.. But that doesn't necessarily take away from the genuinely funny moments ogre had with the quests in each expansion. But once the quests were finished and all that was left to raid, he found with each expansion there would seemingly be less focus on story for raids. That's what kills it for ogre, no story, no fun. Still would say ogre has good things to say for the aging game. Ogre will blame the negatives on Activision though.. Hah.

Tldr; cater to your hardcore audience's tastes, and try to hold on to them as long as you can, ogre believes it's the lack of catering to its hardcore crowd is what lead to the decline.

it's not only PvE that's been in a sharp decline, PvP is becoming less fun as well.

OgreTV likes this