POLICE-CIV | Crime - Penalties

HI. This topic will be on how to reduce trolls, and crime rate for a safer Tanoa Life. 

The current system in handling a crime scene is drawn for more open (So to say) roleplay on the spot: Letting the suspects tell their sides of the story either giving a ticket or an arrest. Though it is not the police officers job to be the judge. It is the officers job to detain and arrest, later the court will judge whether the suspect is innocent or guilty. 

What i've noticed is the cops are very loose, loose as in taking it too easy and giving a ticket rather then an arrest for a situation(s) that calls for an arrest in my opinion. For example: I was a paramedic on Tanoa ASYLUM on a call, sirens blazing, right side of the road and some troll ran in front to purposely kill himself, so I stomped the breaks and luckily he survived. An officer was right there on the scene, instead of arresting that suspect like in real life for many charges, he got a ticket. In real life he would have been arrested for many reasons, putting the driver and himself in danger over his act etc.  Part of this problem (in my opinion) is due to the fact that officers collect TOO much money on the job. Anywhere where an average patrol officer is getting paid more then a paramedic, you have to admit that sounds strange. Officers will collect money from literally everything, tickets, parole, normal steady paycheck, etc. This allows officers to take it easy, and possibly get lazy. Not only that, the rules and ways of an officer are not strict enough.

NOW TO EXPLAIN A BETTER SYSTEM. 

I played on a life server on Takistan, Operation Arrowhead. This server wasn't a 'serious roleplay' server, in fact the cops weren't even white listed. Everything was pretty much no different than this ASYLUM server, everything but the system and the way the game play was set - which makes a huge difference. There was UN guarding the border, and north side police and south. In that system, officers only got paid a steady paycheck AND for every suspect they arrested, which changes the ball game, making officers more willing to arrest suspects for a bigger paycheck. Civilians were more strict on themselves, making sure they didn't break a law because cops were willing to arrest in a heart beat, not only that, in any situation a cop's life were in danger, he would have the right to use lethal. BUT, here is the 'open' roleplay to it. If a civilian were falsely getting arrested, and he new he was innocent, he can demand that the officer take him straight to court, and the UN and north side police (Where ever the crime took place) would get involved in the court office and from there, the UN will be on the civilians side as the defendant and the North side police etc. There were always people in these slots/jobs, willing to make a court hearing in an instant because the roleplay was fun. Therefor we can keep the open roleplay, but change rules and regulations a bit. 

-Strict cops, less crime, court offices for civil cases, advancing the roleplay. -

How can we make court offices possible? - There are no UN on the server.

I was thinking about this, somewhere in the city in a building there can be a court building that is enter-able. Who will be the judge? I was thinking any civilian can be a judge and a lawyer, and you would have to get a license, and these jobs must pay a lot so people would be willing to take the jobs role/part. I haven't thought a lot about this, but maybe you guys can pitch in ideas? Lets make this an open discussion :) 

Edited by Mr.Fox
Grammar editing x(

To be fair, the officers are REQUIRED by APD rules to give someone a ticket unless a charge they have is a straight to jail offense. If someone doesn't pay their ticket then they go to jail. If you just jail someone without any reasoning behind it or one of the straight to jail charges you run the risk of some kind of action being taken against you if they report you. And I feel like those rules have been around long enough that they will most likely never be changed.

2 hours ago, Mr.Fox said:

tl:dr...jk

Glad I got in on this one before it blows up with people replying -1

So here is a list of problems with this:

Cops don't get paid that much. We earn what we get. If you have a skilled group of APD officers all taking in high bounties then yes your going to make decent money. But people think it's just free money when your APD and it's not. You need to play a lot of hours on cop to even make that money and half of that time is spent standing there listening to people's stories doing nothing. 

Non-whitelisted civs being the judges and lawyers lol that will work well when you get a 12 year old who wants the high paycheck for judge and sits there trolling everyone who gets arrested. The reason why Cops are the judge and jury is because we are White-listed which is a process that determines we are professional and level headed (for the most part :D ) enough to be held responsible for these duties and the ability to pardon people crimes, reduce them, etc.
You can't give that power to just anyone or you'll get kids in the courthouse as judge telling all there friends in TS to murder everyone and just demand court so they can pardon them.

NOW FOR THE POSITIVES:

A court system sounds cool with the ability to have lawyers and judge and jury but the Judge would have to be like a white-listed cop maybe even Corporal or above to ensure they are an experienced member of the APD with knowledge of all the Altis laws.

It would be okay for civs to be lawyers as long is they don't have any power over pardoning etc. that would be the judges job and maybe the judge could over rule the jury or demand a re-trial etc. there is already a court system so it wouldn't be hard to add a little scripting to it and make it a little more elaborate. It would be really fun too since all the RP revolves around crime.

Edited by Eric916
2 hours ago, Mr.Fox said:

What i've noticed is the cops are very loose, loose as in taking it too easy and giving a ticket rather then an arrest for a situation(s) that calls for an arrest in my opinion.

You're supposed to give a ticket to nearly every offense, those are the rules.

People play on asylum to have fun,

what fun do you get out of being robo copped then sent to jail where you'll have a squeaker decide the penalty.

The paycheck thing will do nothing but make cops greedy, and no fun to play with.

Overall this system is fairly flawed and garbage

Edited by Shane McCoy

The fundamental problem with any court system is time.  Asylum has a max jail sentence of 45 minutes, most people will not want to waste 5-10-15 minutes waiting for the court to get set up and move everything alone.  These servers that everyone brings up keep people in jail for hours, we dont. It simply wont work as people think it will.

Eric916 and Reavantos like this