Combat Lag Help

Anyone know a fix for combat lag? Almost anytime I go into combat with other players the server/game lags me and gets me killed, I have tried lowering quality settings doesn't seem to make a difference.  Not sure if it is my computer or server lag, it happens most times not all.  Here is a video of what I am talking about, notice how it lags or bogs down when I start shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug5VWwKZf-s&feature=youtu.be

Here is my specs:

GPU: GeForce 970

CPU: Intel i5-4690k @ 3.50GHz

8GB RAM

Win 10

Thanks

Edited by Jones586
3 minutes ago, Jones586 said:

Anyone know a fix for combat lag? Almost anytime I go into combat with other players the server/game lags me and gets me killed, I have tried lowering quality settings doesn't seem to make a difference.  Not sure if it is my computer or server lag, it happens most times not all.  Here is a video of what I am talking about, notice how it lags or bogs down when I start shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug5VWwKZf-s&feature=youtu.be

Thanks

I've actually had this problem a lot on Asylum. Just another lag issue which they are actively working on making servers less laggy and have less de-sync. So it's actually something they are working on. 

Try playing on Server #1 since they rolled out the Headless client I have been experiencing much less of this problem. However this was a serious problem for me and almost made me quit playing Altis Life altogether. So aside from trying server 1, and them adding more things to fix lag, you can upgrade you own system to decrease lag etc.

First you have to understand how ArmA affects your computer.  Lowering the settings will severely damage your gameplay.  Why?  Because you're moving the load from one system to another.  Lowering your settings puts a huge draw on your CPU performance and takes it off of your video card.  

Essentially you need to find a common ground between quality and performance.  

For instance here is a common setting that most people found comfortable.  

http://imgur.com/a/GhITl

Start at these in game settings and modify however you see fit.

Jamooze likes this

@Jones586forget the lag video what about the hilarious video of your dog farting. your dog is super classy btw.

19 minutes ago, Clint Beastwood said:

First you have to understand how ArmA affects your computer.  Lowering the settings will severely damage your gameplay.  Why?  Because you're moving the load from one system to another.  Lowering your settings puts a huge draw on your CPU performance and takes it off of your video card.  

Hey thanks bud I've been lowering my settings more and more even turning sampling down to 50% (LOL) and it looked terrible and my CPU was going from 3ghz down to like 1.9ghz I tried putting the sampling at %100 and it improved a bit. but I still noticed my cpu dropping down further than usual. by using the settings in the imgur image you posted (aside from display size, i cant use small, i have to use very large) and i'm already noticing the load has been taken off of my CPU by a lot. Thanks :D 

Clint Beastwood likes this
Just now, Eric916 said:

@Jones586forget the lag video what about the hilarious video of your dog farting. your dog is super classy btw.

Hey thanks bud I've been lowering my settings more and more even turning sampling down to 50% (LOL) and it looked terrible and my CPU was going from 3ghz down to like 1.9ghz I tried putting the sampling at %100 and it improved a bit. but I still noticed my cpu dropping down further than usual. by using the settings in the imgur image you posted (aside from display size, i cant use small, i have to use very large) and i'm already noticing the load has been taken off of my CPU by a lot. Thanks :D 

If you still are running windows 7 you may want to look into unparking your cores.  If you have win 8 to 10 you are fine your cores remain unparked.

30 minutes ago, Clint Beastwood said:

After watching your video I guarantee its not the server.  You can tell your stuttering is driven by hardware or a bottleneck somewhere.

Give us the stats of your PC in a nutshell.

GPU: GeForce 970

CPU: Intel i5-4690k @ 3.50GHz

8GB RAM

Win 10

Yeah with my specs I would think I should be able to run everything on ultra. Games like battlefield 4 run great on ultra.

44 minutes ago, Clint Beastwood said:

I'm going to try this, now that my specs are posted do you think I need to lower my graphics this low?

57 minutes ago, Clint Beastwood said:

I have tried these settings now and not seeing any difference so I'm thinking it is something else?

3 minutes ago, Jones586 said:

I'm going to try this, now that my specs are posted do you think I need to lower my graphics this low?

Your computer is great.  I think your game just needs to be optimized.  There's a common ground you can find to your liking you have to sacrifice a bit.  Start with exactly those settings and then go upward in some catagories.

You could go to Ultra on both Texture and Objects if you wanted to make your game look pretty.  The reason why Terrain is low is because Arma adds depth to the bushes and trees which makes people harder to spot if you increase that beyond Low.  Meanwhile, if it was on low, you would see that person easier because you dont have the bushes and trees as detailed.

Shadows are completely up to you -  It does cause an FPS hit and its debatable if it helps you in fighting.

Particles - you can go up in as well.  Slight FPS hit

Cloud - Fuck that

PIP - useless

Lighting - I personally put HDR at Very High, makes lighting at night look better. No FPS hit

Dynamic - I have that at Very High Also.  Works well at night.  Tiny FPS hit

Water Reflections - Disabled... useless unless you want it to be pretty at the cost of FPS.

Those are the settings that make your game "Pretty" vs Performance

4 minutes ago, Jones586 said:

I have tried these settings now and not seeing any difference so I'm thinking it is something else?

Are you running a solid state hard drive?  Are you running shadowplay to the same drive?  

Kill any other tasks in the background of your PC and turn off shadowplay just for testing. Might want to run CCleaner on your PC and get rid of any temporary files that is taking up space and clear any registry errors.  

12 minutes ago, Clint Beastwood said:

Are you running a solid state hard drive?  Are you running shadowplay to the same drive?  

Kill any other tasks in the background of your PC and turn off shadowplay just for testing. Might want to run CCleaner on your PC and get rid of any temporary files that is taking up space and clear any registry errors.  

Was gonna suggest the SSD as well, Before I got mine I was stuttering really badly everytime I got into a firefight or when I would scope in cause it wasn't rendering everything fast enough.

2 hours ago, Clint Beastwood said:

I have a 256gb solid state drive and my windows and some other basic programs take up about all of that, all my games are on HDD.  Arma is too big to put on my solid state.  Yeah I killed everything except whats needed before I open Arma.  Maybe I need to upgrade my memory to 16GB RAM?

2 hours ago, Payout said:

Was gonna suggest the SSD as well, Before I got mine I was stuttering really badly everytime I got into a firefight or when I would scope in cause it wasn't rendering everything fast enough.

Yes I notice I get a lot of frame drop when I enter towns and stuff too.  Like you said if I aim down a scope it causes this as well, or if I start shooting it often causes this and therefore leads me to getting killed.

3 hours ago, Eric916 said:

Ha yeah my dog loves his farts, that was like 5 years ago and he only farts more.

Eric916 likes this
12 minutes ago, Jones586 said:

Yes I notice I get a lot of frame drop when I enter towns and stuff too.  Like you said if I aim down a scope it causes this as well, or if I start shooting it often causes this and therefore leads me to getting killed.

Yeah then I would suggest investing in an SSD and putting only arma on it. Unless its large enough for your OS and arma as well.