If you like History

_Peter

Super off-topic, but if you're interested in history look this over.

I've been working on starting a blog and wanted a couple opinions on my first post.

It's about a US Navy Ship that blew up in 1898.

I'd appreciate any helpful feedback on the post or blog itself as I'm really new to this. 

www.intheworld.us

Thanks

Layout is nice and all but from an English perspective it's not that great. You add a lot of unnecessary phrases, and when you report about something as factual as history you should avoid using the first person (then again this is a blog), but the former is the most egregious of the offenses. A couple of examples of this is when you say "The specific one I wanted to talk about today" or "Whichever side you choose to stand with." In fact, this whole sentence is irritating to read: "A majority would claim this was a pretty new development that came along with the 2016 US election, but many don't realize that this is false," because it can be condensed immensely. The reason those phrases/sentence are so annoying to read is because they don't add anything to the conversation. You can tell a phrase is useless if you remove it from the sentence and it still makes perfect sense, or it just flat out adds no value. 

Sorry if I was too critical, but the English teacher in me couldn't help myself. Pretty well made though from a technical point of view. Other than all the English stuff, good job :)

_Peter likes this
Just now, Sr_Sinful said:

Layout is nice and all but from an English perspective it's not that great. You add a lot of unnecessary phrases, and when you report about something as factual as history you should avoid using the first person (then again this is a blog), but the former is the most egregious of the offenses. A couple of examples of this is when you say "The specific one I wanted to talk about today" or "Whichever side you choose to stand with." In fact, this whole sentence is irritating to read: "A majority would claim this was a pretty new development that came along with the 2016 US election, but many don't realize that this is false," because it can be condensed immensely. The reason those phrases/sentence are so annoying to read is because they don't add anything to the conversation. You can tell a phrase is useless if you remove it from the sentence and it still makes perfect sense, or it just flat out adds no value. 

Sorry if I was too critical, but the English teacher in me couldn't help myself. Pretty well made though from a technical point of view. Other than all the English stuff, good job :)

Thanks for the advice. I chose to use first person because I was going for a more informal blog post, but it's definitely something to consider.

As far as some long, unnecessary sentences go, I will make sure to read through a tad bit more carefully next time. I tend to be a little too repetitive and wordy when I write. 

Thanks for the advice!