I could use some inspiration

Heidelberg

I'm currently writing an essay about the militarization of some American police departments, and would like some different opinions about the subject. 

Is the militarization of American police dpts. a real thing, if so, why is it happening?

come up with your own good points, that would be much appreciated. 

Last thing, any police officers in here? I know you're hiding somewhere. Gimme your opinion ;) 

Well, this started it. Officers had 9mm's and shotguns, they were taking AR's from a local gun-store. 

And here we are today: 

That pretty much sum it up?;)

PS: Good active shooter read: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/office-of-partner-engagement/active-shooter-incidents/a-study-of-active-shooter-incidents-in-the-u.s.-2000-2013

Heidelberg likes this
9 minutes ago, BaDaBiNg_10-8 said:

Well, this started it. Officers had 9mm's and shotguns, they were taking AR's from a local gun-store. 

And here we are today: 

That pretty much sum it up?;)

PS: Good active shooter read: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/office-of-partner-engagement/active-shooter-incidents/a-study-of-active-shooter-incidents-in-the-u.s.-2000-2013

Some nice information here, but im more interested in why militarization also appears in protests and other things that are not involved with firearms. A question could be, why could some american police departments not deal with riots as Danish police deal with?

Edited by Heidelberg
Mahdizzle likes this
6 minutes ago, Heidelberg said:

Some nice information here, but im more interested in why militarization also appears in protests and other things that are not involved with firearms. A question could be, why could some police departments not deal with riots as Danish police deal with?

I wouldn't call "Not involved with firearms" and "riots" a militarization of the police, they're suppose to handle civil unrest such as riots.

Militarization, or militarisation, is the process by which a society organizes itself for military conflict and violence. It is related to militarism, which is an ideology that reflects the level of militarization of a state.   

Heidelberg likes this

Most Departments do have some type of militarization, especially in high crime areas and border cities. Primarily its used to combat terrorism, violent crimes and drug wars (if your here on the border). I have no issue with Police being militarized for these reasons, however I do have an issue when it is used incorrectly as a show of force. To the American people our idea of the police should be the local police officers that we see day to day not these kevlar vested m4 carrying brutes. The focus should be on community policing and not the show of force by the police.  Here is an example to me where militarization of the police is misused 

Edited by DankChester
8 minutes ago, DankChester said:

Most Departments do have some type of militarization, especially in high crime areas and border cities. Primarily its used to combat terrorism, violent crimes and drug wars (if your here on the border). I have no issue with Police being militarized for these reasons, however I do have an issue when it is used incorrectly as a show of force. To the American people our idea of the police should be the local police officers that we see day to day not these kevlar vested m4 carrying brutes. The focus should be on community policing and not the show of force by the police.  Here is an example to me where militarization of the police is misused 

very fair point of view, thanks :) 

DankChester likes this
27 minutes ago, DankChester said:

Captain Higgins is awesome. 

It's a thing but it's a bit overblown and you hear about it a lot from Black Lives Matter and groups similar to that.  If my memory serves me correctly, the first few days the Ferguson police had lots of armored vehicles out and officers were in body armor because they didn't want rioting and looting and once they had to pull back some of that equipment, rioting and looting happened.

Also it boils down to what you consider militarization.  In emergencies police can be seen with ARs, body armor, military style uniforms and armored vehicles.  In all reality, that's not that militarized as police have had equipment like that for a while but with advancements in technology the equipment and vehicles look a bit more 'scarier'.  If there is someone gunning down people, terrorist attack or rioting...police need better equipment to handle situations like that.  

Now what seems to be a issue is over use of SWAT and some of the equipment they have for raids.  There's been quite a few cases of SWAT being used for very dumb and low priority cases, even in my state there was a case where a Grandma and her granddaughter got their door smashed and guns pointed at them and it was all over a case of someone stealing wifi or something along those lines, turns out it wasn't even them. 

3 minutes ago, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

It's a thing but it's a bit overblown and you hear about it a lot from Black Lives Matter and groups similar to that.  If my memory serves me correctly, the first few days the Ferguson police had lots of armored vehicles out and officers were in body armor because they didn't want rioting and looting and once they had to pull back some of that equipment, rioting and looting happened.

Also it boils down to what you consider militarization.  In emergencies police can be seen with ARs, body armor, military style uniforms and armored vehicles.  In all reality, that's not that militarized as police have had equipment like that for a while but with advancements in technology the equipment and vehicles look a bit more 'scarier'.  If there is someone gunning down people, terrorist attack or rioting...police need better equipment to handle situations like that.  

Now what seems to be a issue is over use of SWAT and some of the equipment they have for raids.  There's been quite a few cases of SWAT being used for very dumb and low priority cases, even in my state there was a case where a Grandma and her granddaughter got their door smashed and guns pointed at them and it was all over a case of someone stealing wifi or something along those lines, turns out it wasn't even them. 

I agree. Like all professions, mistakes happen and we have cops that are complete idiots. However EVERY profession has its fair share of idiots that should never been given a job.

Police are taught escalation of force. The first step in that escalation of force is presence (uniform or enforcement action), second step is verbal warning or announcement (Police, back up or you're under arrest), the third step is hands on or less lethal/lethal depending on the circumstance.

"Tell them, show them, make them." When they place 40 or 50 officers dressed in riot gear at a protest or civil unrest, they are looking for compliance of the laws based upon presence. It's used as a deterrent to prevent violence and gain voluntary compliance. 

On another note, I really wish we could buy bottles, gasoline, and other items rioters use on Arma/Asylum. The police could buy riot gear and place it in vehicles or Paratus could do something similar to SWAT deployments. 

Would really spice things up in Kavala and bring some more RP scenarios. Wishful thinking. 

bunni likes this