Advice for Paramedic

Okay, so today I decided to try my hand at being a paramedic. My experience so far is that it is a total waste of time. I have been playing as one now for a little over 4 hours and in that time I have saved zero lives. People either respawn before I get to them or they are people who injure someone and then lie in wait so they can rob a paramedic. I'm not sure I see the point. When I put my hands up can they take the painkillers and blood bags that I am carrying. I would have checked but the guy who robbed me then shot me in the face afterwards.

Personally I think the whole RDM rule in this game is pointless. Sure, they cannot kill you without warning. So instead, they just say, "Put your hands up." They take what they want and then they tell you that they will kill you anyway. Pointless!! In my experience, hands up or not still gets you killed. That is why I have now resorted to telling anyone who asks me to put my hands up to quite frankly go and f**k themselves.

I now understand why there are so few paramedics in this game. Any advice as I quite like the idea of being a paramedic? In practice it seems so pointless though.

Michael likes this

This is kind of the same as the topic you just made before, but I'll chime in.

Okay, so today I decided to try my hand at being a paramedic. My experience so far is that it is a total waste of time. I have been playing as one now for a little over 4 hours and in that time I have saved zero lives.

That is more a part of you being new than being how it actually is. I've never gone an hour without reviving someone, you just need to pick your battles.

People either respawn before I get to them or they are people who injure someone and then lie in wait so they can rob a paramedic.

People definitely respawn. If you're in a vehicle, don't bother taking calls that are over 5k away -- You wont make it there, and they wont wait that long, even if you could. If you want to take every call, you'll need a helicopter,but even still, most people will not wait for you. It's a bummer, and some folks put forward great ideas to combat this. But for now it is what it is. Robbery can definitely be a problem, but your medical gear respawns. Just don't carry money with you as an EMT and you the robbery wont be an issue.

Stick to populated areas, especially while new. Run to the sounds of gunfire or follow (a good distance behind) police when they are using their sirens. It's almost certain they're going to a place where there is or will be shooting and violence. 

Take the talents, repair peoples vehicles, repair broken legs.

Even with it's shortcomings it's pretty fun to play. You just have to adapt to the situation in the game.  

Edit: I was James Archer in server 2. To answer your question (I didn't realize your radio wasn't on) we were in a group because we're both EMTs. Coordinating with other EMTs is really useful, so when you spawn as EMT, you should always turn your radio on, and leave it on channel 1. Then you can tab to the radio channel like you would switch to directional/group. 

Edited by blaylocke
33 minutes ago, LostManAbroad said:

Personally I think the whole RDM rule in this game is pointless. Sure, they cannot kill you without warning. So instead, they just say, "Put your hands up." They take what they want and then they tell you that they will kill you anyway. Pointless!! In my experience, hands up or not still gets you killed. That is why I have now resorted to telling anyone who asks me to put my hands up to quite frankly go and f**k themselves.

Maybe, but it at least prevents it from become "Asylum Wasteland". Initiation makes sure that you have at least some sort of warning and ability to respond and/or fight back instead of just randomly dropping dead in the middle of the road. Putting your hands up will frequently get you killed by the end of the encounter, true, but I've had tons of great experiences with people who I've taken hostage or robbed before. It depends on who's involved. Sure, there's going to be people who are stretching the rules and just being dicks, but those are just the unfortunate problems that will plague any sort of community with rules like this. The changes made back in September (I think) which required you to RP a bit more once someone has complied (at least coming up with some sort of reason for the execution) was clearly intended to encourage more RP once the hands have gone up, but even so, lots of people just don't follow it or do the bare minimum. While I agree that quite a lot of people simply see initiating as a boring requirement to shoot someone, I think we can also agree that it's infinitely better than the alternative.

Maybe I just have to play longer to understand the difference because right now I do not see a difference. I've been shot a bunch of times last night and today. Apart from the last couple hours of play, I always complied and put my hands up and the result was the same on each and every occasion bar one. Put your hands up, lose any money you are carrying and get shot in the face. Don't want this to turn into Asylum wasteland. Sorry pal!! Too late, you cannot get too much more wasteland than it already is.

I'm going to keep playing but I have come to realise that I will have to put up with the 90% of the population who are only interested in killing me so that I can on very rare occasions get to role play with one of the 10% who actually understand the concept of roleplaying.

Edited by LostManAbroad

I'm a bit surprised you've been killed that much in such a short time. I've been killed probably four times in a week. I have a hard time believing it's really been that bad. People will shoot medics who heal people they don't want healed, and I've been held up and shot maybe twice. Maybe you had a string of bad luck.

Edited by blaylocke

Well, I'm not lying. Maybe it is just bad timing. I don't know. The last few hours have been less bad but probably only because I avoid all people in the game. If I see people while I am unarmed then I turn and run. Plus I do not drive on roads. Off road only. Most of the times when I have been shot it has been by someone who drives me off the road to rob me.

I have to add, one fatal flaw I have found in this game is this. The only way that you can store any items is by having a storage crate in a house. You need money to buy a house so earlier today I filled a Zamak truck with diamonds, processed them and went to the jewelry store. As I was heading in someone ran up to me and said, "Hands up". I complied because I had not yet sold the diamonds. He knew what I was doing so he said I might just as well sell all the diamonds and give him the money as he was going to rob me as I sold them anyway and if I went somewhere else to sell them then he would just follow me.

So in other words I spent almost an hour doing the boring work of mining and then ended up in a situation where there was no way to get out of it. If I ran, he would shoot me, if I went somewhere else he would still take what I had and shoot me so I did the only thing left open to me. I logged of the game. Sure I lost an entire Zamak truck full of diamonds but I am not going to spend an hour doing some of the more boring parts of the game only to benefit someone who has camped out at the jewelry store.

It sounds like this isn't really for you, man. What you just said is sort of the entire point of the game. You make it with your truck, you have that adrenaline kick. You get robbed, it sucks. Otherwise they are like GTA missions and there's no point doing it in multiplayer. 

I still don't understand how you are getting robbed and killed all the time as an EMT. 90% of the game doesn't bother because we don't carry anything of value. 

Edited by blaylocke

Nah, it is fine. I just think paramedics is not really the way to go. I like the idea but they don't work in practice as I think they were intended to. As for playing civilian, I just have to remember to always have a gun out and point it at anyone who approaches. Then as soon as they say hands up. BANG. I shoot them in the face. I may not have said anything but once they say hands up, then I know their intentions are hostile so it becomes self defense.

50 minutes ago, blaylocke said:

It sounds like this isn't really for you, man. What you just said is sort of the entire point of the game. You make it with your truck, you have that adrenaline kick. You get robbed, it sucks. Otherwise they are like GTA missions and there's no point doing it in multiplayer. 

I still don't understand how you are getting robbed and killed all the time as an EMT. 90% of the game doesn't bother because we don't carry anything of value. 

I kill medics sometimes, if they're reviving an enemy and don't go away when I tell them to. But then, that's their fault for walking into a dangerous situation anyways..

33 minutes ago, ProjectGemini said:

I kill medics sometimes, if they're reviving an enemy and don't go away when I tell them to. But then, that's their fault for walking into a dangerous situation anyways..

Right. I even mentioned that in my first post.  It's not great to revive someone in front of the man who killed them, haha.

The most helpful tool you can use on any side is record. If ppl RDM you make a report and move on. 

get a battle buddy, someone to watch your back while you do your thing, and offer him a cut of whatever you make as long as he keeps you safe.

Make a list of all the cunts that kill you and remove their EMT privileges so when they die, just let everyone in the EMT side chat know they kill EMT's. 

With regard to not being able to reach people in time, a heli will help loads and at only $5k they are the cheapest way to fly on the island and a good way to make money when all the Kavala Emt's are hanging out in the square. 

Another way to find the action is to offer your services to a gang or the Cops. There are always loads of bodies at prison breaks, Bank jobs and Feds, just be sure to pick a side and dont attempt to res ppl from both sides, thats a sure way to get shot fast.

If you just want to do the job and save lives and you dont care about the EMT paycheck play EMT on CIV. Once you have the talents for the defib, buy an EMT top off a fellow medic($1k seems the going rate) get a gun and hit the road. I often play Civ/EMT off duty medic after getting fed up of getting shot by hobos. The benefit of P07 is that it doesnt give you a bounty when you shoot someone but you get enough time to make your escape before they come around. 

Personally i make my money on Civ and play emt when i want some stress free flying round the island and getting in to adventures! its a good calling and when you save someone with a full loadout in the ass end of knowhere there is nothing like the feeling of doing something positive and the appreciation that you get for going to the effort of saving them. 

BioHazard and Jack Hoff like this

Though I am unsure what server you play on not all of that is true to servers 2 & 4, I am a full time medic and true there are times such as when you go to get someone and they just re-spawn but a majority of the people who want to kill me tell me to "f*ck off and go away or I will kill you" state it to me then just rdm'ing me on the spot. If you are serious about being a paramedic check out the topic regarding white listed paramedics, it is an effort to give more flexibility to the EMT's and "fairness" if you want to call it that. And also the people above are right, simply report them or you can even talk to a moderator in the game, I have done it before and have had people banned for killing me infront of one.

blaylocke likes this
52 minutes ago, Issac Clarke said:

Though I am unsure what server you play on not all of that is true to servers 2 & 4, I am a full time medic and true there are times such as when you go to get someone and they just re-spawn but a majority of the people who want to kill me tell me to "f*ck off and go away or I will kill you" state it to me then just rdm'ing me on the spot. If you are serious about being a paramedic check out the topic regarding white listed paramedics, it is an effort to give more flexibility to the EMT's and "fairness" if you want to call it that. And also the people above are right, simply report them or you can even talk to a moderator in the game, I have done it before and have had people banned for killing me infront of one.

He's been playing on #2. But I agree with you, Isaac. This has been my experience as well on #2. 

• 3 months later...

I have seen servers where killing or robbing a paramedic means ban and permanent ban if it is repeated. That makes absolute sense since paramedics are there to help everyone. Of course that applies only when a paramedic is on duty, that is logged on as paramedic and not a civilian. Anyway, Altis life is not much different than wasteland. It only needs a "hands up" and then bang. It's pointless. I am quitting. It's not what I want to play. I prefer wasteland where you are a fighter instead of the easy target.

P.S. Today, I logged for 10 minutes and was robbed. I had realized I would be robed but I did not try to avoid it, wanting to check their method. At least, for once, it was professional.

Edited by Nikos