Quick Question About Video Cards

Gatorade

I meant to ask you guys something since this community has a lot of intellegent users in terms of technology. I currently have a GTX 760 which has the following stats

GTX 760:

1. Cuda Cores = 1152

2. Base Clock = 950 MHZ

3. Boost Clock = 1033 MHZ

4. 4 GB VRAM

GTX 1060:

1. Cuda Cores  = 1280

2. Base Clock = 1506 MHZ

3. Boost Clock = 1708 MHZ

4. 6 GB VRAM

Question 1:

Was thinking of upgrading to the 1060 when it comes out because it is relatively cheap. I do however feel a little concerned because I bought that video card a little over 2 years ago with the understanding that it would be a little future proof with the increased VRAM and such ; and with that being said it seem's like my video card isn't so great on the grand scale now.

Question 2:

This may be completely wrong, and feel free to educate me - but FROM my understanding the Cuda Cores are the little processors that handle the imaging whilst the blocks keep up with the loading of textures  - which are the two most important things for the card in addition to having ENOUGH VRAM for the game - which nowadays rarely goes over 2 GB. With that being said my question is more or less :

The cuda cores don't seem like a huge upgrade yet everywhere I read - they say this thing will vastly improve the older technology and supposidly have new cores instead of cuda cores.

Question 3:

Whats your opinion on the power draw difference between the two cards in terms of a power supply wattage.

TLDR: Is the new 1060 a good upgrade for the 760 even with the small Cuda Core difference? How important are the cuda cores compared to the clock speed upgrades? Are video cards a 2 year upgrade nowadays

7 minutes ago, sydewaze said:

Have you overclocked your processor?  Are you just trying to get more frames in Arma 3 or Future games to come?  Is SLI an option for you?

Yes my CPU is clocked  - my frames are fine in arma 3. It was more or less the ability to run future games on max settings and stuff. Currently I can run most games at a nice high setting - I was just curious about some stuff

1 minute ago, Sugarfoot said:

Yes my CPU is clocked  - my frames are fine in arma 3. It was more or less the ability to run future games on max settings and stuff. Currently I can run most games at a nice high setting - I was just curious about some stuff

I would say wait for the next generation after Pascal architecture, squeeze out every last breath from the 760

Hallo Sugarmong my friend :D on the road to Niagara Falls and got bored so I started looking at random shit and saw this. 

1: The 760 was a nice budget card on release, and for Arma is still a fine card. If you play a lot of graphics intensive games you'll see that on 1080p you won't be using more than about 3.5GB of VRAM maxed out settings. Anything above 1080 however and the 760 won't be able to perform. 

2: The extra cuda cores are a good upgrade. Basically they're the units that leverage the card to do specific tasks, so anything the 760 does the 1060 will do more efficiently. 

3: What PSU do you have? You really won't need to worry about power usage. So far a lot of the Asus OC cards are being released at the height of their clocks, you won't be over clocking too much unless you have a founder or stock edition card. 

Because you're still in the 7xx series I'd say to upgrade to a 1070, it's a huge improvement from last generation. The difference between the 1070 and 1060 is large, and if you can spend the extra it's worth it. You'll see an increase in frames for Arma but only about 10℅, any other game that stresses your 760 and a huge increase will be seen. But if you don't play other games or you don't do activities that stress your card beyond its limits, wait until next generation. Also give Ranga back :/

Edited by sean fifty bread
fuck me
34 minutes ago, Sugarfoot said:

I meant to ask you guys something since this community has a lot of intellegent users in terms of technology. I currently have a GTX 760 which has the following stats

GTX 760:

1. Cuda Cores = 1152

2. Base Clock = 950 MHZ

3. Boost Clock = 1033 MHZ

4. 4 GB VRAM

GTX 1060:

1. Cuda Cores  = 1280

2. Base Clock = 1506 MHZ

3. Boost Clock = 1708 MHZ

4. 6 GB VRAM

Question 1:

Was thinking of upgrading to the 1060 when it comes out because it is relatively cheap. I do however feel a little concerned because I bought that video card a little over 2 years ago with the understanding that it would be a little future proof with the increased VRAM and such ; and with that being said it seem's like my video card isn't so great on the grand scale now.

Question 2:

This may be completely wrong, and feel free to educate me - but FROM my understanding the Cuda Cores are the little processors that handle the imaging whilst the blocks keep up with the loading of textures  - which are the two most important things for the card in addition to having ENOUGH VRAM for the game - which nowadays rarely goes over 2 GB. With that being said my question is more or less :

The cuda cores don't seem like a huge upgrade yet everywhere I read - they say this thing will vastly improve the older technology and supposidly have new cores instead of cuda cores.

Question 3:

Whats your opinion on the power draw difference between the two cards in terms of a power supply wattage.

TLDR: Is the new 1060 a good upgrade for the 760 even with the small Cuda Core difference? How important are the cuda cores compared to the clock speed upgrades? Are video cards a 2 year upgrade nowadays

A 1060 is pretty much a 980 as Linus said in one of his videos. 

27 minutes ago, Plus One Chromosome said:

1070 is an upgrade. dont buy anything under X70 with a GTX (970, 1070, etc)

It's kinda different this year with the 1000 series. The 1060 is the same price as 970 on relish.

The 1060 is currently a good upgrade if you'll need it. And for pc gaming it's better with higher core clock and lower Cuda cores.

The real question is if you actually need it, will you be playing any graphic demanding games, if not then save your money if you are then yes it could be a good choice.

The power draw is about the same I belive but that could easily be fined over the Google search.