Overheating Problems

Cassettes

CPU fan: Hyper 212 Evo 120mm Fan

Not sure why my PC gets so hot when I'm playing games, especially new games that I try to play, Arma used to get hot really quickly not it takes awhile for it to start overheating to about 70-75 degrees C or 160 - 167 degrees F, I try to reduce the heat as much as I can by ALT tabbing out of the game every so often, this helps it from overheating past 160; which I hear is still dangerous level to be at constant. 

My idle temperatures can range from 35 C to  50, if I can keep my game running at 65C on heavy load I'd be okay with that. Anyone know any programs that can increase the speed of my CPU fan? I use MSI afterburner for my GPU only but idk any other programs for fan control. I tried SpeedFan or w/e it's called and it's hard to set it up

If it is generally only your CPU generating high temps have you altered the Clock speed? If so you may want to think about upgrading your cooling. Obviously the best thing in that instance is Liquid. You can buy them at reasonable prices. I recommend corsair in that case.

Other than that I have no idea...

Ya boi @Norwegianviking is the PC Wiz in the community.

Edited by Goyneyyy
27 minutes ago, Goyneyyy said:

If it is generally only your CPU generating high temps have you altered the Clock speed? If so you may want to think about upgrading your cooling. Obviously the best thing in that instance is Liquid. You can buy them at reasonable prices. I recommend corsair in that case.

Other than that I have no idea...

Ya boi @Norwegianviking is the PC Wiz in the community.

I never changed the clock speed so it's at default, it's already a shit CPU so downclocking my FPs will be even worse in Asylum.

25 minutes ago, blinky said:

Clean the dust out and reapply new thermal paste.

Yea I like to do that every so often, there isn't really any noticable difference, if I play Arma long enough it still does it. Takes about 15mins of straight Arma game play without ALTing for it to start overheating.

7 minutes ago, Bang said:

If you have a low end pc i wouldn't use that afterburner shit, Just causes more problems.. On any pc really.

Yea I found that out the hard way when tried overclocking my GPU (I have a GTX 960) but I guess there was some bottlenecking since my CPU is fx 6300 6 cores only. Kept getting Nvidia crash, but I only use it for cooling purposes to increase fan of my GPU now.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you are in, I have a shit prebuilt PC that is AMD and the CPU came with a heatsink fan which is what you have, and really 90% of all heatsinks are shit when it comes to keeping CPUS from hitting 90C. Your best bet is getting a CPU Liquid Cooler, Some of the best brands which run anywhere from 50 to like $150 bucks are Corssair or CoolerMaster. You just got to make sure it will fit and etc.

70-75c is the operating temperature for the CPU don't worry about it. The CPU will NOT start throttling until 90c temperature you have a long way to go. 

I have my 4690k running @ 4.5GHZ overclock with the same cooler and in game it goes up to 70-73 or so. Its a standard operating temperature for this CPU. 

You can reduce it by maybe few degrees if you buy silver based thermal paste but why waste money? 

90 degrees centigrade is the thermal throttle point on Intel chips

20 minutes ago, Mr Smirnoff said:

70-75c is the operating temperature for the CPU don't worry about it. The CPU will NOT start throttling until 90c temperature you have a long way to go. 

I have my 4690k running @ 4.5GHZ overclock with the same cooler and in game it goes up to 70-73 or so. Its a standard operating temperature for this CPU. 

You can reduce it by maybe few degrees if you buy silver based thermal paste but why waste money? 

90 degrees centigrade is the thermal throttle point on Intel chips

I have an AMD :frog: I heard throttle is at 70 this is from guys at Tom's Hardware, also I have a program that keeps track of my temps and it changes color by temperature and when it gets to 159F to about 170F it turns yellow, anything above 170F goes red and I always like to keep it below 159F 

Edited by Cassettes
49 minutes ago, Cassettes said:

I have an AMD :frog: I heard throttle is at 70 this is from guys at Tom's Hardware, also I have a program that keeps track of my temps and it changes color by temperature and when it gets to 159F to about 170F it turns yellow, anything above 170F goes red and I always like to keep it below 159F 

FX chips have 85c thermal limit (not official), you are well below that, unless you see the actual clocks being throttled under load its not a problem. The 70c number you heard is because AMD uses different measurement on the CPU from Intel, you actual core temperatures are not actually hitting any limit. 

below 80c you can run your CPU 24/7 for years with no problem. Just look at your CPU clock speeds under load when it hits 75 and see if it downclocks automatically. Some Intel Haswell chips are known to hit 99c and survive just fine. 

Cassettes likes this
2 hours ago, Mr Smirnoff said:

FX chips have 85c thermal limit (not official), you are well below that, unless you see the actual clocks being throttled under load its not a problem. The 70c number you heard is because AMD uses different measurement on the CPU from Intel, you actual core temperatures are not actually hitting any limit. 

below 80c you can run your CPU 24/7 for years with no problem. Just look at your CPU clock speeds under load when it hits 75 and see if it downclocks automatically. Some Intel Haswell chips are known to hit 99c and survive just fine. 

I'm reading a lot of stuff from Tom's Hardwarae forum and a lot of them are saying the max I ever want to have it is at 70C / 158F which is generally where I like to keep it under, which is pretty hard playing Arma for more than 20 mins. Well i don't keep track of my clock speed I think task manager can tho? I'll try to keep an eye on it thanks for the info tho, if my CPU burns up I'll blame you and request comp for CPU 

1 hour ago, Cassettes said:

I'm reading a lot of stuff from Tom's Hardwarae forum and a lot of them are saying the max I ever want to have it is at 70C / 158F which is generally where I like to keep it under, which is pretty hard playing Arma for more than 20 mins. Well i don't keep track of my clock speed I think task manager can tho? I'll try to keep an eye on it thanks for the info tho, if my CPU burns up I'll blame you and request comp for CPU 

it will be fine don't worry. Unless you see throttling you are fine. I think the 70c they are all posting about is temperature of the die core not the CPU. If you are really concerned buy some of that expensive silver thermal paste and replace it (or metallic something), I used it on my old video card and temperatures went down a lot. 

1 hour ago, Mr Smirnoff said:

it will be fine don't worry. Unless you see throttling you are fine. I think the 70c they are all posting about is temperature of the die core not the CPU. If you are really concerned buy some of that expensive silver thermal paste and replace it (or metallic something), I used it on my old video card and temperatures went down a lot. 

Alright I'll def try that silver paste, I am only using the one that my off market fan came with which looked silver anyways, but that's pretty cheap so why not try it.