Computer skipping BSOD and not making a dump file

Gatorade

Hi all, this is a continuation of 

(Yes I have it set to make a dump file and to not automatically restart in the advanced settings of computer properties)

- Since that thread I reseated my RAM & Video card, rolled back my drivers, and scanned for windows corruption. Was running fine until today about ten hours with the PC on it shut off. I am not so concerned with it shutting down but more of the fact that its skipping the BSOD and not creating a dump file.

- This prevents me from being able to look up what's the issue.

- As for temperatures they aren't even close to bad. They rest around 30 , game around 50, and with max test they sit in the 60's to low 70s.

+ The only thing I can think of is the fact that I have the RAM set to its native speed. It defaults at 16xx mhz from the motherboard and I have it set to 32xx as it should be. I have the voltage set to auto as from my understanding the new motherboards will adjust the voltage on their own. 

+ If it isn't the ram speed change then I would assume one of the parts is faulty but I can't figure out which one without a bsod 

Edited by Sugarfoot

If it's skipping the BSOD it would lead me to believe it's shutting off for a safety reason considering it's not overheating. Have you looked into your power supply?

The only other safety issues I would consider is that either A their is some sort of short or arcing going on with the ram or graphics card. 9 times out of 10 when this happens the PC will not turn on at all. Though something as small as a spec of dust can make lithium batteries hard short and go into thermal runaway(they turn into a road flare) the same could theoretically happen with a stick of ram or a graphics card. B would be that somehow the temperature monitoring is off and reading improperly. Though both of these issues are extremely rare, it's something to consider because your problem on it's own is rare enough.

Edited by Steve
58 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Have you installed a new BIOS or Stressed the Mem yet?

33 minutes ago, Steve said:

If it's skipping the BSOD it would lead me to believe it's shutting off for a safety reason considering it's not overheating. Have you looked into your power supply?

The only other safety issues I would consider is that either A their is some sort of short or arcing going on with the ram or graphics card. 9 times out of 10 when this happens the PC will not turn on at all. Though something as small as a spec of dust can make lithium batteries hard short and go into thermal runaway(they turn into a road flare) the same could theoretically happen with a stick of ram or a graphics card. B would be that somehow the temperature monitoring is off and reading improperly. Though both of these issues are extremely rare, it's something to consider because your problem on it's own is rare enough.

@Twinkie I did test the memory in memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic and it passed on both.

@Steve I actually just created a registry key to make a fake bsod and it worked ... so that kind of tells me its shutting off because of some kind of power issue.

- As for it being a ram or graphics card shorting it - thats kind of weird that it works for x amount of time and randomly turns off. Especially going for 3 weeks without an issue.

-  I am going to do one final test for drivers (Even though I was able to create my own BSOD) and if theres no issue's I have another power supply that I am going to test here in a few minutes and run it for a few days. Amazon is being cool and extending the replacement/return policy to let me try a new PSU so well see. 

As @Clint Beastwood said I think at this point it would be either PSU or MB since my computer can clearly have a bsod when I followed the steps in https://www.windowscentral.com/how-intentionally-force-blue-screen-death-windows-10

(Although I had to manually turn the PC off which was weird.)

Twinkie likes this
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

@Twinkie I did test the memory in memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic and it passed on both.

@Steve I actually just created a registry key to make a fake bsod and it worked ... so that kind of tells me its shutting off because of some kind of power issue.

- As for it being a ram or graphics card shorting it - thats kind of weird that it works for x amount of time and randomly turns off. Especially going for 3 weeks without an issue.

-  I am going to do one final test for drivers (Even though I was able to create my own BSOD) and if theres no issue's I have another power supply that I am going to test here in a few minutes and run it for a few days. Amazon is being cool and extending the replacement/return policy to let me try a new PSU so well see. 

As @Clint Beastwood said I think at this point it would be either PSU or MB since my computer can clearly have a bsod when I followed the steps in https://www.windowscentral.com/how-intentionally-force-blue-screen-death-windows-10

(Although I had to manually turn the PC off which was weird.)

As I said it could also be arcing, not to sound like a know it all douchebag, but arcing can be one of those inconsistent and spontaneous things. In case you didn't know it's when electricity jumps between one position and another without actually touching. Well at least that is one way it can happen. That's the thing about it is that because the two pieces of metal or whatever is conducting the electricity aren't touching, which is why it doesn't always arc. As I said it is extremely rare but in the event whatever you do doesn't fix it, I advise taking out your ram and graphics card and looking with a magnifying glass to see if there is any dust at all on the board of the graphics card and more then anything where it connects to the motherboard as well as where the ram inserts into the motherboard.

3 hours ago, Steve said:

As I said it could also be arcing, not to sound like a know it all douchebag, but arcing can be one of those inconsistent and spontaneous things. In case you didn't know it's when electricity jumps between one position and another without actually touching. Well at least that is one way it can happen. That's the thing about it is that because the two pieces of metal or whatever is conducting the electricity aren't touching, which is why it doesn't always arc. As I said it is extremely rare but in the event whatever you do doesn't fix it, I advise taking out your ram and graphics card and looking with a magnifying glass to see if there is any dust at all on the board of the graphics card and more then anything where it connects to the motherboard as well as where the ram inserts into the motherboard.

You don't sound like a douche at all - and I see what you are saying. I'll be honest I play dumb about computer stuff just to see if I can pick someones brain and think outloud. It's hard to bounce idea's about computer failure off of women and children in the house hahaha.

- To be completely honest I think the windows I had made years ago was so fucked up that it couldn't even BSOD. I did a scan for drivers before I swapped out the PSU and it was throwing a huge error on a USB driver. It wasn't a smooth installation by any means. Even the BSOD I was creating for it to crash into was kind of janky and it wouldn't reset on its own (Unless thats intended?).

- I just installed my old PSU and had amazon send me a replacement for the one I had, and re-installed windows from a new copy. The driver installation was 100x smoother this time around so fingers crossed. Best case scenario I will just replace the power supply whenever im not lazy lol, worst case scenario its the MB having an issue from some kind of damage maybe as you described and amazon is being real cool about the process; giving me 10 days after i get the new PSU to test. (Didn't tell them I had one to test to milk out the time for testing further).

3 hours ago, explicit said:

did you try turning it on and off 

Im about ready to drop kick the damn thing, having me up at 2 am haha.