Editing PBO files.

Eric916

Trying to set up a practice type Life server but the problem is finding the dam files. I know how to edit the PBO files etc but for some reason they don't exist?

I am trying to edit a PBO file. I can't find the .PBO files for the Multiplayer missions i've played online. Also when I download a PBO file and put it in the MPMissions file it still doesnt show up in Eden editor when I go to Load/Open. Please help. thanks.

2 minutes ago, Bikstok said:

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Arma 3\MPMissionsCache

OMFG THANK YOU I KNEW THEY HAD TO BE SOMEWHERE LOL!!!

sorry for caps but thanks guys that was so frustating. if there wasn't 50 millions folders with the same name lol

4 minutes ago, Bikstok said:

You need to extract the pbo files. The mission file you open in the editor is .sqm

I use Eliteness to extract pbos.

This is what i see. not all of these: https://gyazo.com/c9df09d4e150c976a4bb21647b74c10d

now i understand i need to extract the files and put them in a folder i called "customLife.altis" but then what folder do I put this file in so that it will show up in Eden? im only seeing tempMissionMP, i found a folder with that mission in it but when I pasted my customLife.altis folder in the same folder with tempMissionsMP still could not see it just the tempMissionsMP...?20160620112434_1.jpg

Just now, Eric916 said:

This is what i see. not all of these: https://gyazo.com/c9df09d4e150c976a4bb21647b74c10d

now i understand i need to extract the files and put them in a folder i called "customLife.altis" but then what folder do I put this file in so that it will show up in Eden? im only seeing tempMissionMP, i found a folder with that mission in it but when I pasted my customLife.altis folder in the same folder with tempMissionsMP still could not see it just the tempMissionsMP...?20160620112434_1.jpg

Those two folders are C:\Users\x\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\x\mpmissions and \missions

If you don't know what a pbo file is and that you actually have to edit scripts that are inside pbo file, then I wouldn't even recommend trying to do what you're trying to do. But, if you're really into, good luck learning. It will be a long debugging process until finally shit starts working the way you want it to work.

Edited by Pentax
1 minute ago, Pentax said:

If you don't know what a pbo file is and that you actually have to edit scripts that are inside pbo file, then I wouldn't even recommend trying to do what you're trying to do. But, if you're really into, good luck learning. It will be a long debugging process until finally shit starts working the way you want it to work.

I know how to edit scripts im a script editor lol. the problem is i'm trying to get back into it and i used to deal with .ini files etc so this arma 3 file system will take a minute for me to get down. my problem is I can open the PBO files and edit them. but then I need to convert them to an SQM file to even be able to open in editor and I don't understand that part. are the files supposed to be PBO's or SQM? 

Just now, Eric916 said:

I know how to edit scripts im a script editor lol. the problem is i'm trying to get back into it and i used to deal with .ini files etc so this arma 3 file system will take a minute for me to get down. my problem is I can open the PBO files and edit them. but then I need to convert them to an SQM file to even be able to open in editor and I don't understand that part. are the files supposed to be PBO's or SQM? 

.ini and virtual reality are like day and night. Editor uses .sqm files.

Ok, imagine .pbo like a .rar file, whole code is extracted into .pbo. Arma itself can launch a mission from either a .pbo or just mission folder where the whole code is in. Editor itself takes .sqm file in editor you won't be able to do much, except placing objects, markers, etc. Actual scripts are going to be in .sqf code.

Edited by Pentax
Eric916 likes this
Just now, Pentax said:

Ok, imagine .pbo like a .rar file, whole code is extracted into .pbo. Arma itself can launch a mission from either a .pbo or just mission folder where the whole code is in. Editor itself takes .sqm file in editor you won't be able to do much, except placing objects, markers, etc. Actual scripts are going to be in .sqf code.

okay just wanted to be able to edit the objects etc too if I wanted to. thanks for your help