Korea RIOT control

goyney

I wonder... if someone fired a shot or two in the beginning, would the rioters have disbanded and run off?

It is incredibly interesting to watch, though. I enjoyed it. The retrieval of the flame-throwing things was especially intriguing. It shows how organized the police are in contrast to the rioters' vulnerability and lack of coordination; which is satisfying.

It looks very tiresome for both parties.

goyney likes this
14 hours ago, varex said:

I wonder... if someone fired a shot or two in the beginning, would the rioters have disbanded and run off?

It is incredibly interesting to watch, though. I enjoyed it. The retrieval of the flame-throwing things was especially intriguing. It shows how organized the police are in contrast to the rioters' vulnerability and lack of coordination; which is satisfying.

It looks very tiresome for both parties.

Nah, I don't think they necessarily would disband. I think they would carry on with the tactics they are using. Surely there is protocol for something like that built into the tactic, but maybe not. But like you say it's pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Goyneyyy said:

Nah, I don't think they necessarily would disband. I think they would carry on with the tactics they are using. Surely there is protocol for something like that built into the tactic, but maybe not.

I was talking about whether the threat of lethal force is effective against rioters (or in general). 

ie. If a policemen had fired a shot in the air/ground, would the rioters have quit what they were doing and left?

I presume not since 1) rioters are likely past that point of reason as shown by their actions and 2) One bullet often breeds more bullets.

I have read that the German police are permitted (and perhaps encouraged) to fire warning shots and they have an incredibly low number of fatalities and an astonishingly high number of successfully apprehended criminals, but the US and Australia teaches officers to shoot to kill and we have a lot of mishaps. Perhaps this is because in America, it is more likely that the subject is armed while in Germany, they are not? It also looks like The Netherlands, Japan, Ireland, Romania, Sweden and South African police are permitted, encouraged, or forced by rule to fire warning shots. If the problem with warning shots is that the subject may be armed, then why is it illogical to use against rioters?

Edited by varex
goyney likes this