vBulletin Question Thread

Hey all, I know some of you are new to vBulletin style forums so you can use this thread to ask questions you may have about it. I have been using vBulletin forums since 09 and have managed my own forums using the system since about 2012. If you have questions about it post up! I would be happy to help.

I got a few.

On mobile there is no button to switch to desktop and even if you force switch to desktop mode it goes back to mobile what setting do I change to be able to load the full forum on my iPhone?

Also where the hell is READ FULL FORUM button?

Why does it take a while a post anything I can change to fix that? It says "working..." at the time for good 20 seconds.

Smirnoff can you post a picture of what your forum looks like on your device? On my Galaxy I am getting the full page, however it is compressed to fit my screen. There is no mobile option turned on right now from what i can see. Just the variations of the large theme. Afaik with vBulletin 5 it is desinged this way to be a middle ground between full mobile and full site looks.

As for marking forums read, I have yet to find the mark read for all of the forums however if you click on the parent channel (the name in the header of each section) down at the bottom you can mark all channels within that section as read

EDIT: Check the top left under sections there is a mark channels read for me

The posting time has to do with the way vBulletin communicates with the server and how often information is pusbed back and forth between forum and host. Tweaking these settings is kind of hit and miss (it was for me anyway) it also affects the settings for how soon after you read a forum its marked as read with the different icon. Instant updates is very server intensive so the admins have to find a happy medium with the data rates

I've got a Brilliant Idea!

STFU about forum features until the Servers & Players are back up and running smoothly,This forum is nothing but a Salty Flame-pit 85% of the time anyways,So it doesn't need to be very high on the Docket. The features are most likely just not set up since you know,its been active for what,3 days.I've not even had my Comp report dealt with nor anything related to the Donor money & do you know what im doing?.................Waiting.Most of you whine worse then a Teething Toddler,Go make a Hotpocket Polly & relax.

On a side non-ranty note,This Shit is slower then the Special Olympics.

How do you put pictures in your Sig? Mine just changes back to a link.

Basically the way you did it. However, it needs to be check marked in the AdminCP to allow signature images. This is something the admin staff will have to do when they get around to it.

@Infamy, there is no reason to get all salty people just have general operation questions with the new interface. While they are waiting for comp requests and the like they are learning how to use the new forum.

Smirnoff can you post a picture of what your forum looks like on your device? On my Galaxy I am getting the full page' date=' however it is compressed to fit my screen. There is no mobile option turned on right now from what i can see. Just the variations of the large theme. Afaik with vBulletin 5 it is desinged this way to be a middle ground between full mobile and full site looks.

As for marking forums read, I have yet to find the mark read for all of the forums however if you click on the parent channel (the name in the header of each section) down at the bottom you can mark all channels within that section as read

EDIT: Check the top left under sections there is a mark channels read for me

The posting time has to do with the way vBulletin communicates with the server and how often information is pusbed back and forth between forum and host. Tweaking these settings is kind of hit and miss (it was for me anyway) it also affects the settings for how soon after you read a forum its marked as read with the different icon. Instant updates is very server intensive so the admins have to find a happy medium with the data rates[/quote']

so what it means is you can't zoom in? Like the mobile version you get gets formatted for your screen but you cant fucking zoom it in.. who in the hell designed this crap... in the IPB you got mobile version that prevents you from zooming in and is always formatted for the screen and you get the regular version that allows you to zoom in and navigate everywhere.....

Another thing about postiung from iPhone is you click "post reply" and it selects the whole post frame instead of the button, so you have to fucking press it 10 times for it to actually select the post instead of the frame.

now about posting time. Basically you can post instantlly if you click post reply and refresh the page but without refreshing the yellow "working.." thing prevents the page from refreshing for a while is there a setting that removes that delay?

so what it means is you can't zoom in? Like the mobile version you get gets formatted for your screen but you cant fucking zoom it in.. who in the hell designed this crap... in the IPB you got mobile version that prevents you from zooming in and is always formatted for the screen and you get the regular version that allows you to zoom in and navigate everywhere.....

Pretty much. vBulletin5 is technically a Beta right now and they are trying new things. The way it is laid out is so mobile users see the forums in a compressed format so they don't have to download tapatalk or zoom in on small links when the full site is rendered. They thought it was a happy medium' date=' but I hate it lol.

now about posting time. Basically you can post instantlly if you click post reply and refresh the page but without refreshing the yellow "working.." thing prevents the page from refreshing for a while is there a setting that removes that delay?

There are settings for the cache that can be tweaked, but I dont know if it will help all that much. Like I mentioned vBulletin 5 is currently beta software and not all of the bugs have been ironed out. The admin(s) can certainly adjust settings for how fast the forums update and the like but they may be limited by the actual forum software at this point.

Pretty much. vBulletin5 is technically a Beta right now and they are trying new things. The way it is laid out is so mobile users see the forums in a compressed format so they don't have to download tapatalk or zoom in on small links when the full site is rendered. They thought it was a happy medium' date=' but I hate it lol.

There are settings for the cache that can be tweaked, but I dont know if it will help all that much. Like I mentioned vBulletin 5 is currently beta software and not all of the bugs have been ironed out. The admin(s) can certainly adjust settings for how fast the forums update and the like but they may be limited by the actual forum software at this point. [/quote']

Yea all the stuff I found in the admincp is already set to the lowest recommended values.

For the mobile, it would depend on the license that was purchased I think. For full mobile functionality you also need the vBulletin Mobile Suite, I can't remember the extra cost but it was a substantial additional cost iirc, I had a client who needed both a few years ago. Like Dredge has said vB5 is still in a really early stage, I still heavily prefer 4 but 5 is getting there.

I honestly prefer IPB so much more than vBulletin. Maybe you guys will make it look nicer, but at the moment the text formatting isn't "What you see is what you get", but you have to use

[/quote.] etc, which isn't that nice to use. IPB was simpler and smoother, and settings were so much easier to configure and just generally it seemed like more powerful forum software.

I have heard that Paratus said that he can do a lot more with vBulletin, but in my opinion IPBoard was just much simpler to use and looked nicer. There are also a lot of themes for IPB which make it look really nice.

Neato' date=' final question:

I saw someone with an animated gif profile picture once...is it still possible? I tried to set mine and it just shows a still image.[/quote']

Unless they turned them off, what is happening is the GIF you're trying to use exceeds whatever limits the admins have set (Height, Width, file size - this could also be due to the 'thumbnail' setting I believe) so it's re-sized which makes it lose the animation.

I honestly prefer IPB so much more than vBulletin. Maybe you guys will make it look nicer' date=' but at the moment the text formatting isn't "What you see is what you get", but you have to use
[/quote.] etc, which isn't that nice to use. IPB was simpler and smoother, and settings were so much easier to configure and just generally it seemed like more powerful forum software.

I have heard that Paratus said that he can do a lot more with vBulletin, but in my opinion IPBoard was just much simpler to use and looked nicer. There are also a lot of themes for IPB which make it look really nice.

There are a ton of vB skins to use as well If they chose to use/buy one. Customizing all settings and default skin takes time to get all just right. I've been working with vB since 2000 and it's far superior (even though vB4 right now is easier to use and mod than vB5) compared to IPB.

Also click the A symbol at the top right of the reply text box and you'll get your WYSIWYG editor you want guys.

I honestly prefer IPB so much more than vBulletin. Maybe you guys will make it look nicer' date=' but at the moment the text formatting isn't "What you see is what you get", but you have to use

There are a ton of vB skins to use as well If they chose to use/buy one. Customizing all settings and default skin takes time to get all just right. I've been working with vB since 2000 and it's far superior (even though vB4 right now is easier to use and mod than vB5) compared to IPB.

Also click the A symbol at the top right of the reply text box and you'll get your WYSIWYG editor you want guys.[/quote']

That post shows how hard it is to know what you're going to get :D