Building my own desktop..

Silent

I can sadly say I'm not the best with putting together a desktop. I currently use a laptop to play arma 3 and it's starting to suck. Want to evolve into a desktop but not sure how to make one and was told buying them all pre-made costs a ton more. Was wondering if any of you desktop masterminds out there could help me put together one. Looking at spending roughly $1,100 USD. Just around that ball park. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

A nice graphics car would be a 760 4gb possibly.  But if you want to spend a bit more on a card get a 980.  Just don't know how you would finish the build in that price range with a 980, but maybe get one off ebay because people tend to sell for a good prices sometimes.  I would recommend a i7 though for arma

10 minutes ago, The Orphan said:

A nice graphics car would be a 760 4gb possibly.  But if you want to spend a bit more on a card get a 980.  Just don't know how you would finish the build in that price range with a 980, but maybe get one off ebay because people tend to sell for a good prices sometimes.  I would recommend a i7 though for arma

You jumped from a 760 to 980..? a i7 and 970 Wil run arma very well, no need for a 980.

Edited by Scott
Silent likes this

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ Adding a monitor and a mouse/keybord you will reach the 1100$. Just for you to know i ran arma 3 (asylum) with intel core duo e6750 2.66 overclocked to 3.00 and geforce 9600gt with an avarage of 20 fps. My general advice is to go with an intel sixth generation prosessor and ddr4 memory (even an i3 would be fine if you want just to play the game, not streaming). If you choose a small resolution monitor (like mine) even a not so good graphics card can do the job. And yes i would choose windows 10.

22 minutes ago, Silent said:

I like this but people are saying go i7 core not i5 core. Any ideas on this?

it definitely is better for ArmA, but I doubt it's worth the price since you're on a budget, I got a i5 4670K and I can handle ArmA perfectly with some tweaks.

This is what I quickly chose for ya.

586488434f8399c48cc1e353f4cb0d9a.png

Edited by Atmosphere
Silent likes this

Despite what everyone says, you do not have to have an i7. Is it beneficial, yes, required, no. I have a i5-4670k (Hazwell) which is standard 3.5ghz. My Asrock mobo over clocks it to 4.3ghz for me with no issues. That paired with my 780gtx nets me an average of 45fps in asylum. However because arma I get anywhere from 30-60fps. (I'll have to check my graphics settings)

Whether you go with a ddr3 or the newer ddr4 build, your going to see an average price difference of $100 between an i5 and i7. Make sure to get a K model as this is unlocked an allows over clocking if you desire. 

Video cards, go for a 970gtx. It's a nice medium between the 960/980 and will be worth the extra money over the 960. Don't even bother with the 7xx series at this point. You're going to pay the same if not more for one that has 4gb vram.

With all that said, set your limit and stick with it. It will really add up if you start making allowences for little upgrades here and there. If you're going to spend extra on anything, CPU should be the priority. Upgrading a CPU later usually involves a mobo change because of different socket types. You will likely upgrade the gpu at least once before you build a new PC in X years. 

Silent likes this
2 hours ago, Spank said:

Despite what everyone says, you do not have to have an i7. Is it beneficial, yes, required, no. I have a i5-4670k (Hazwell) which is standard 3.5ghz. My Asrock mobo over clocks it to 4.3ghz for me with no issues. That paired with my 780gtx nets me an average of 45fps in asylum. However because arma I get anywhere from 30-60fps. (I'll have to check my graphics settings)

Whether you go with a ddr3 or the newer ddr4 build, your going to see an average price difference of $100 between an i5 and i7. Make sure to get a K model as this is unlocked an allows over clocking if you desire. 

Video cards, go for a 970gtx. It's a nice medium between the 960/980 and will be worth the extra money over the 960. Don't even bother with the 7xx series at this point. You're going to pay the same if not more for one that has 4gb vram.

With all that said, set your limit and stick with it. It will really add up if you start making allowences for little upgrades here and there. If you're going to spend extra on anything, CPU should be the priority. Upgrading a CPU later usually involves a mobo change because of different socket types. You will likely upgrade the gpu at least once before you build a new PC in X years. 

Thank you very much.