My new mix! Would like some feedback.

Mycri

focusing too much on intro/outro mixing. get a program called mixedinkey and experiment with double drops and crossfading between the two

you can even fuck around with doing the intro/breakdown of another song and dropping into a completely different song 

some shit like this is always a great energy boost

Edited by 7th Ward Charizard
Atmosphere and Mycri like this

I agree with @7th Ward Charizard. Your transitions are kinda bland. Dubstep can be tough honestly. It usually holds a lot of energy but moves very slow. You don't want the floor jumping to the same vibe for to long either. Like he said, try finding places where you can mix out that aren't just intro/outro. I'd suggest starting your mixing track like 32 or 64 beats before the track thats playing has its breakdown. That way you can sustain the energy but the vibe changes. Then find a song that you really like its breakdown and work your way to that breakdown to give the floor a break. 

Another thing you can do to spice up the mixes a bit is to cut (crossfade, volume fade) the fills as its mixing. Think about teasing the new track in, instead of just letting it slowly blend in with eq as the other song drops out. I never programmed my mixes, I just had a library of tracks that I was familiar with and knew what tracks worked with each other and which ones didnt. When I started we were still using vinyl now you have a bunch of cool software out there to utilize to stay in key and tempo lock. Allow for a lot more creativity.

Sounds like you're having fun though. Keep playing! 

Also, drum and bass is better \o/

Mycri likes this
13 hours ago, 7th Ward Charizard said:

focusing too much on intro/outro mixing. get a program called mixedinkey and experiment with double drops and crossfading between the two

you can even fuck around with doing the intro/breakdown of another song and dropping into a completely different song 

some shit like this is always a great energy boost

4 hours ago, Roice said:

I agree with @7th Ward Charizard. Your transitions are kinda bland. Dubstep can be tough honestly. It usually holds a lot of energy but moves very slow. You don't want the floor jumping to the same vibe for to long either. Like he said, try finding places where you can mix out that aren't just intro/outro. I'd suggest starting your mixing track like 32 or 64 beats before the track thats playing has its breakdown. That way you can sustain the energy but the vibe changes. Then find a song that you really like its breakdown and work your way to that breakdown to give the floor a break. 

Another thing you can do to spice up the mixes a bit is to cut (crossfade, volume fade) the fills as its mixing. Think about teasing the new track in, instead of just letting it slowly blend in with eq as the other song drops out. I never programmed my mixes, I just had a library of tracks that I was familiar with and knew what tracks worked with each other and which ones didnt. When I started we were still using vinyl now you have a bunch of cool software out there to utilize to stay in key and tempo lock. Allow for a lot more creativity.

Sounds like you're having fun though. Keep playing! 

Also, drum and bass is better \o/

Thanks for the feedback back I just started getting into this so I still have alot to Learn. Trust me compared to my first mix this is definitely a improvement. My main goal with this is to get better sounding flow and match pitch and tempo with the songs. Also I combined only on 1 transition the build from one song to another songs drop. I agree dubstep is definitely a harder genre to do. I feel the simplest for me has been dance/house music. On my next mix I want to try teasing songs in and giving more surprises when it comes to transitions. Thanks again for the feedback back. 

6 minutes ago, Babynutzmcgee said:

Thanks for the feedback back I just started getting into this so I still have alot to Learn. Trust me compared to my first mix this is definitely a improvement. My main goal with this is to get better sounding flow and match pitch and tempo with the songs. Also I combined only on 1 transition the build from one song to another songs drop. I agree dubstep is definitely a harder genre to do. I feel the simplest for me has been dance/house music. On my next mix I want to try teasing songs in and giving more surprises when it comes to transitions. Thanks again for the feedback back. 

What software do you use for making mixes? Ableton is great for fucking around and discovering funky ass mixes due to the tools available