PC Build Help

Cobra

So I've decided to do a budget upgrade build and I needed some outside input before I commit to buying parts.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

CPU: i5 4690K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 950

Cooling: A heatsink (ENERMAX ETS -T40F-TB 120mm)

PSU: Thermaltake 750W at $69 or pay $10 more for a better quality 550W PSU

Memory: Salvaged from Old Rig

SSD: Salvaged from Old Rig

Like I said, this will be a budget upgrade with a price range of $610-$625. Aside from the case and salvaged parts, the rest will be paid out of pocket. Given this current set-up it will at least give me a better performing unit and I won't be playing Arma like some PS2 knockoff game. Plus, it leaves plenty of room to add and interchange core components later on if I feel the need to upgrade again.

If anyone can chime in and give feedback or experience regarding these parts it'd mean a lot to me. Keep in mind that this rig will be used for gaming and some light video editing from gaming. Thank you all in advance!

If you want you can update your graphics card like Norwegian stated' date=' preferably a 970(like norwegian said again) and upgrading to the i7 CPU series wouldn't hurt either.[/quote']

The reason I did not put in a i7 and a 960 is becouse the cpu will only do a cupple of fps differentses in most games. But yeah if this computer would only play Arma go with an i7 4790k but the problem with it it's a bit to expensive for the budget and the cheaper ones like a 3770k does not have hyper treading and 4770k have problems with the heat spreader

I was thinking about a r9 380x instead but since I'm an nvidia fan boy I chose the 970 istedet.

Great feedback guys, I may go with this recommendation. As for the i7, I'll save my pennies for now since this processor still has a high price tag from all the hype it gets. Thanks again for the input, although I do have a question.

What kind of noticeable difference does the 970 show in comparison to the 950?

[uSER=1075]Cobra[/uSER] here's the differences between the 970 and the 950. http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2455&gid2=2438&compare=geforce-gtx-950-2gb-vs-geforce-gtx-970-4gb

Sweet, I'll go with the 970 for sure. As far as the CPU goes I may keep the 4690K since I've never overclocked before.This may be a great opportunity to see how OCing works on Arma while recording. It's a lil extra cash, but I'll live. :P

The 4690K will still make you knock the graphics settings down if you plan to stream/record. The 970 is beneficial, but ArmA will rape that CPU before anything.

I got fed up with ArmA bullshit that I said fuck it and chose a 5960X and dual 980 ti's. We'll see who's laughing now, arma!

Regardless, the 4690K and 970 will do you right on basically every other game. ArmA is just ArmA.

If the Motherboard supports the new CPU, it's as easy as removing the heatsink (clean and replace paste) and swap out the processor chip (clean and replace paste).

You have to make sure the motherboard supports the new CPU. I couldn't upgrade my old rig because the mobo didn't support the cpu I wanted, so basically it's a domino effect of replacing components to support other swapped components. Use PCPartPicker.com to select everything you have and will be upgrading to make sure everything is compatible. It'll tell you towards the top when you're done putting the rig together on the site.

The 4690K will still make you knock the graphics settings down if you plan to stream/record. The 970 is beneficial' date=' but ArmA will rape that CPU before anything.

I got fed up with ArmA bullshit that I said fuck it and chose a 5960X and dual 980 ti's. We'll see who's laughing now, arma!

Regardless, the 4690K and 970 will do you right on basically every other game. ArmA is just ArmA.[/quote']

Seems like nothing ever pleases Arma eh? Well thanks for the confirmation Mac, I'll stick with what I purchase and push towards i7 when the price isn't so daunting. The way I see it, i7 is just another step in future proofing a build.

Seems like nothing ever pleases Arma eh? Well thanks for the confirmation Mac' date=' I'll stick with what I purchase and push towards i7 when the price isn't so daunting. The way I see it, i7 is just another step in future proofing a build. [/quote']

i7 doesn't mean better. Some high end i5's can outdo low end i7's. Just study the chips and which ones oveclock better.