Parking Break/Anchor

7 minutes ago, BakedBeans said:

I would like to see a parking break/anchor added that will make your car remain on the server for 20 minutes when engaged. This way if you have to fight off bandits or take a little too long while gathering you aren't going to get stranded.

Too many vehicles = more server lag. Thats why they have a 10 minutes timer before they despawn back into your garage. 

8 minutes ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

Too many vehicles = more server lag. Thats why they have a 10 minutes timer before they despawn back into your garage. 

But still, walking from the distillery to the closest garage with a backpack full of Scotch gets old pretty fast.

I don't think 15-20 minute timer instead of 10 mins would make that big of an impact.

But then again, there's always a Kavalian or two to prove me wrong... stacking 200 quad bikes on the square might just become the next "thing".

26 minutes ago, BakedBeans said:

I would like to see a parking break/anchor added that will make your car remain on the server for 20 minutes when engaged. This way if you have to fight off bandits or take a little too long while gathering you aren't going to get stranded.

It would be awesome if vehicles could be left forever without despawning, but as mentioned above there are performance concerns involved. But just remember to refresh your vehicle by activating the locks for now. 

But a special device for extending the idle time wouldn't be a bad idea. Because the number of vehicles that despawn while actively being used is relatively small compared to the number that are abandoned or left alone after the owner is killed. 

Haych likes this
24 minutes ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

Think so? Do you have something to verify the claim you're making? So you're telling me if 100 players each pull a single car and let it sit that it will affect performance? Exile and Wasteland both save vehicles for up to 3 days on the map actively while you're offline... I suggest you checkup on your claims.

Most Exile servers on startup spawn upwards of over 100 vehicles randomly across the map that are unlocked and free to use. This is not including player owned vehicles.

Edited by Jesse
7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Think so? Do you have something to verify the claim you're making? So you're telling me if 100 players each pull a single car and let it sit that it will affect performance? Exile and Wasteland both save vehicles for up to 3 days on the map actively while you're offline... I suggest you checkup on your claims.

Most Exile servers on startup spawn upwards of over 100 vehicles randomly across the map that are unlocked and free to use. This is not including player owned vehicles.

The difference here is that Altis Life runs a great deal of background scripts and is generally talking to the database. So with all of this extra stuff happening in the background, it ends up being pretty necessary to trim performance where possible. Cleaning up vehicles and items etc is one way to do that. 

Mods like Exile and Wasteland can generally keep track of many more objects because they're less script intensive, one the mission is started it can just kind of run with a more reasonable level of background scripts. Life Mods are notorious for their performance draining scripts. 

One example of the differences, Asylum keeps track of multiple data points for each vehicle in the database such as the specific repair state and fuel levels, even when they're in a garage. So if everyone has a car out that's several hundred bits of information being written to the database even if it's only 100 vehicles. 

6 hours ago, Buckwalter said:

The difference here is that Altis Life runs a great deal of background scripts and is generally talking to the database. So with all of this extra stuff happening in the background, it ends up being pretty necessary to trim performance where possible. Cleaning up vehicles and items etc is one way to do that. 

Mods like Exile and Wasteland can generally keep track of many more objects because they're less script intensive, one the mission is started it can just kind of run with a more reasonable level of background scripts. Life Mods are notorious for their performance draining scripts. 

One example of the differences, Asylum keeps track of multiple data points for each vehicle in the database such as the specific repair state and fuel levels, even when they're in a garage. So if everyone has a car out that's several hundred bits of information being written to the database even if it's only 100 vehicles. 

- people need to stop asking me things. lol...

Long story short, I'm not here to argue it. Just saying that letting vehicles say for an extra 10 minutes shouldn't have any noticeable performance issues.

Edited by Jesse
Big Fred and Haych like this

Asylum is one of the only Altis Life servers that actually have vehicles despawn on a timer instead of getting cleaned up during restart and tbh I hardly notice a difference in performance compared to other life servers. I understand that it also probably runs the most scripts, but still.

I would like to see the timer upped to 20 minutes. Having to tap your vehicle constantly during, well nearly every activity you do just gets old.

Big Fred and The Boss like this
48 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'm aware of AltisLife especially when it comes to session(I've contributed player stat saving [health, pos, food, water] as well as vehicle fuel) related things... https://github.com/orgs/ArmaLife/people

Long story short, I'm not here to argue it. Just saying that letting vehicles say for an extra 10 minutes shouldn't have any noticeable performance issues.

Well considering your background, I'm inclined to believe you. In light of the comments in this thread, I'll raise the issue with Paratus and see if he's willing to consider upping the limit.

Big Fred and Haych like this
8 hours ago, Jesse said:

- people need to stop asking me things. lol...

No your not here to argue your here to pretend like you know what youre talking about. Anyone can compare two mods to one another but unless you know how they work as far as performance, shh.