Project Car

The Orphan

Where all my car guys at?!?!?!!?!?!?!  I currently drive a 2013 lifted jeep Wrangler 4 door and a 2015 Audi A8L.  

Im looking to buy a fun project car but for a really low budget of around $600-$850!

Why such a low price?

• I'm looking to buy a car for this low of a price because I plan on dumping a lot of money into rebuilding the engine, doing turbos, and all of that fun stuff.

Requirements -

• The car must be a MANUAL transmission only!
  • Prefer a RWD car for those track days with the friends
  • Inexpensive
  • Coupe
  • US spec (Sorry EU guys but don't want to import a project car, I'm waiting for when I find my dream EU car to import (RS6 :) )

Thanks guys, (PLEASE KEEP THIS ON TOPIC!)

Edited by The Orphan
Bersabee likes this
Just now, Mr. Berry said:

Nissan 240sx. Had one in highschool and loved it. Rwd with lots of power, and I'm sure you can find a relatively cheap one.

modp-1101-01-o+1992-nissan-240sx-coupe+front-view.jpg

Been looking at these. I know they are amazing project cars but they are a bit of a pricy project car.  I might have to just say fuck it though for a 240sx.  Haven't stopped looking at them for the past few days.

Just now, The Orphan said:

Been looking at these. I know they are amazing project cars but they are a bit of a pricy project car.  I might have to just say fuck it though for a 240sx.  Haven't stopped looking at them for the past few days.

Atleast in my area the only car you can get for less than $850 is a early 90s civic or accord with 250k+ miles. Of course, it is the bay area. 240sx are amazing and we all know you can afford it... ^_^

The Orphan likes this
Just now, The Orphan said:

Seriously man, was the first car I owned and probably the best I've ever had. I drove it for 2-3 years and never had a single repair besides routine maintenance like oil changes, etc. I was young and dumb and drove it HARD too. I promise you won't be disappointed. I'll try to find a picture of mine on my other pc. I bought it for 2500, and probably put another 2000 into it for wheels and tires, exhaust, etc.

The Orphan likes this
Just now, Scott said:

Atleast in my area the only car you can get for less than $850 is a early 90s civic or accord with 250k+ miles. Of course, it is the bay area. 240sx are amazing and we all know you can afford it... ^_^

Ya I saw a 2005 Golf today on cragislist for around 700 but the whole front bumper was missing.

Scott likes this
Just now, Mr. Berry said:

Seriously man, was the first car I owned and probably the best I've ever had. I drove it for 2-3 years and never had a single repair besides routine maintenance like oil changes, etc. I was young and dumb and drove it HARD too. I promise you won't be disappointed. I'll try to find a picture of mine on my other pc. I bought it for 2500, and probably put another 2000 into it for wheels and tires, exhaust, etc.

Thinking of it doesn't sound too bad.  The only reason I would say no is because I want to just dump my money into components but I might start to consider this as an option.  Also would love to see your's ::wub:

2 minutes ago, Mr. Berry said:

Found them, pictures aren't the best quality, and I did purchase a little bit nicer wheels later on into my relationship with this car.

240.jpg

240-2.jpg

Really nice man.  Awesome to see we have some car guys in the Asylum community.  I'm a total Petrol Head.  Everything I do has to do with cars lol.

17 minutes ago, Buckwalter said:

I had an 06 TJ for 6 years. Did a fair amount of rock crawling and what not with it. Excellent cars and a lot of fun, but it felt like something broke every other month. 

Maybe it was just mine. 

I have a JKU so I don't know too much about TJ.  But great car all around non the less

Also if you

27 minutes ago, The Orphan said:

I don't mind a awd but I do really want a car that I can bring to drift events with my friends.  Very nice suggestion tho.  Is this your's?

If you are looking for drift builds check out corolla coupes or a Miata. Miatas have 50/50 weight distribution and they have a lot of mods for drift builds.

15 hours ago, The Orphan said:

Where all my car guys at?!?!?!!?!?!?!  I currently drive a 2013 lifted jeep Wrangler 4 door and a 2015 Audi A8L.  

Im looking to buy a fun project car but for a really low budget of around $600-$850!

Why such a low price?

• I'm looking to buy a car for this low of a price because I plan on dumping a lot of money into rebuilding the engine, doing turbos, and all of that fun stuff.

Requirements -

• The car must be a MANUAL transmission only!
  • Prefer a RWD car for those track days with the friends
  • Inexpensive
  • Coupe
  • US spec (Sorry EU guys but don't want to import a project car, I'm waiting for when I find my dream EU car to import (RS6 :) )

Thanks guys, (PLEASE KEEP THIS ON TOPIC!)

Try a Datsun 240z. They look sick pumped out. The only problem is its a little more than you price range

240sx are great for what you want to do.  These guys built a great "Missle" in this video.  Cheaply.

Not sure if you have looked at them but Mazda MX-5 "Miata" has perfect 50/50 weight distribution and a easy to mod platform.  Early to mid 90's models would be a good place to look.

When I explored the idea, I went with the 90-93 Mustang Fox Body platform.  Good torque, easy to find aftermarket and you wont look like every other drift fanboy.  

240sx's have been a popular purchase for every "Yolo-swag" teenager in my area.  I nearly bought one with an SR20DET- but he literally had 16-18 year old kids gawking at his car every where he went- and I didnt want that attention...

The Orphan likes this
7 hours ago, Clint Beastwood said:

240sx are great for what you want to do.  These guys built a great "Missle" in this video.  Cheaply.

Not sure if you have looked at them but Mazda MX-5 "Miata" has perfect 50/50 weight distribution and a easy to mod platform.  Early to mid 90's models would be a good place to look.

When I explored the idea, I went with the 90-93 Mustang Fox Body platform.  Good torque, easy to find aftermarket and you wont look like every other drift fanboy.  

240sx's have been a popular purchase for every "Yolo-swag" teenager in my area.  I nearly bought one with an SR20DET- but he literally had 16-18 year old kids gawking at his car every where he went- and I didnt want that attention...

Ya I love miatas but the thing is most miatas for sale in my area have already been tuned and I really want to tune the car my self