Need some advice

Hey Guys,

I have a question for those who are, have, or will be serving in the military. I am currently a Junior in high-school, on track for a good college education. I have two plans that I need some advice on. Both involve joining the Marine Corps, as this is a necessity for me.

-Plan 1) Continue with my education and go to college. While in college I join the ROTC program in order to get into the Marine's OCS (Officer Candidate School) after enlisting, after my college education. 

My criticism of plan 1 is that after meeting with the recruiter in my area, I was given the notion that any Officer position available after OCS is basically just a desk job. While some prefer this, and I understand why, I want to be on my feet, as active as possible, while in the service. (Mostly because all I do now is work-out, work, and play this game--not much excitement). Do any of you guys know if this judgement of Officer-jobs in the Corps is true, if not, what is it like? Also, the recruiter told me (which I understand and agree with) that those that go through OCS and start to command usually aren't assertive enough, and thus don't recieve the respect that a person of their rank should--mostly because they are not too mature, nor do they have the experience of those under him/her.

-Plan 2) Join the Marines right after high-school, then continue with my education after-the-fact. Now this is the more appealing option to myself, but for many I can see why it isn't. 

My criticism of plan 2 is that I may not be as mature after high-school as I could be if I joined after college. That is my only negative opinion on that, if you guys have anymore I'd love to hear them.

This is a big decision, life changing. I'd love to hear some advice from all of you, as most of you have lived longer than I, and thus know more about growing up than I do. If you have served, are serving, or will be serving, thank you. And I hope to stand among you someday, whether it be before or after college.

--Side note, I want to be infantry. Nothing else. I want to serve in the best way possible, and my recruiter and I have talked it over and we have made a plan if I join after high-school. That is:

Join infantry, serve for two years, then apply for the counter-intelligence division or some other advanced MOS. 

Also if you have any tips on how to prepare for boot camp, they are welcome! 

Agent X and explicit like this

Did you meet with the Officer recruiter or the Enlisted recruiter? Remember that a recruiter's job is to recruit you. They will give you information that will benefit them. You are a number that fills a slot. Take everything that they say with a grain of salt and a little bit out doubt.

Go to college. Live for a few years as an adult. Enjoy it. After you graduate if you still want to join then go the Officer route. 

3 basic jobs for an officer. Infantry, Logistics(Supply), or Aviation. Each has its benefits as well as its pitfalls. If you want to be infantry then go to college, get your degree. Be a leader that your men will look up to. 

The Marine Corps is what you make of it. Get all the information that you can and then make your decision. 

I've lived that life. I left for enlisted boot camp 2 days after I graduated high school. The only regret about that is that I wish I had some free time to be a kid before I made the transition to adult. I did 5 years active duty as a United States Marine. I eas'd as a Corporal of Marines. If I could do it all over again I would have went to school and then joined to be an officer.

Ill be available to talk to you via these forums if you have anymore questions so feel free to hit me up if you want.

BioHazard and BaDaBiNg_10-8 like this
Just now, Agent X said:

Don't join the military is a statement not an opinion. 

Some people are not made to join the military. I understand. This young man has already made up his mind. No need to troll him because of a decision to better himself.

it was not a statement, the worst you could call it is, a word of advice, he asked for advice i offered it, just because it doesn't meet your needs does not make it a wrong post

Just now, d'demise said:

it was not a statement, the worst you could call it is, a word of advice, he asked for advice i offered it, just because it doesn't meet your needs does not make it a wrong post

Ok.

@Dr_DingleberryI actually play with an active duty Marine and I would like to get you into our team speak to give you some truth about the decision that you have to make. Ill invite him to join as well. If you would like to talk please feel free to send me a pm. 

BrutaL and explicit like this

Definitely Join, It is a great experience, Agent X is talking about me. The Marine corps has definitely been the best thing that's ever happened to me, you'll hate it at first but in the end you'll love what it did for you and how it changed you into such a mature/respectable person. Honestly though, don't go in to be a grunt. Grunts are some of the most immature people i've ever worked with. And do NOT go the officer route because then you will have people like me who has been in for 5 years, made it to sergeant and call you a bootenant, and give you no respect cause you wouldn't deserve any. If you go the OCS course, you don't actually go through a boot camp like the Enlisted side does. Your boot camp is alot easier and really relaxed. You are your true EGA through the enlisted side, then sure once you get your bachelors while you serve your time as enlisted then go to OCS and become a "Mustang" Is what they are called and you will actually be respected and ready to lead. Instead of some dumb ass college kid thinking he is something because he made it through OCS.

Agent X and Dr_Dingleberry like this
2 minutes ago, Goku said:

Definitely Join, It is a great experience, Agent X is talking about me. The Marine corps has definitely been the best thing that's ever happened to me, you'll hate it at first but in the end you'll love what it did for you and how it changed you into such a mature/respectable person. Honestly though, don't go in to be a grunt. Grunts are some of the most immature people i've ever worked with. And do NOT go the officer route because then you will have people like me who has been in for 5 years, made it to sergeant and call you a bootenant, and give you no respect cause you wouldn't deserve any. If you go the OCS course, you don't actually go through a boot camp like the Enlisted side does. Your boot camp is alot easier and really relaxed. You are your true EGA through the enlisted side, then sure once you get your bachelors while you serve your time as enlisted then go to OCS and become a "Mustang" Is what they are called and you will actually be respected and ready to lead. Instead of some dumb ass college kid thinking he is something because he made it through OCS.

Everyone sees it differently. Good to get multiple opinions.

Honestly, I'd join right after high school though. You'll mature faster, yea sure you won't have the college experience, but you'll have plenty of opportunities to go out and enjoy it with some college pussy. But if anything, don't go as a grunt, grunts are pussies. Try to get an 0861 (Forward Observer) or get an 0621 (Field Radio Operator) Cause no matter what both of them will always see action and are always needed. And you will end up deploying more than grunts.

Dr_Dingleberry likes this
9 minutes ago, Goku said:

Honestly, I'd join right after high school though. You'll mature faster, yea sure you won't have the college experience, but you'll have plenty of opportunities to go out and enjoy it with some college pussy. But if anything, don't go as a grunt, grunts are pussies. Try to get an 0861 (Forward Observer) or get an 0621 (Field Radio Operator) Cause no matter what both of them will always see action and are always needed. And you will end up deploying more than grunts.

Field Radio Operator is a grunt with a radio aka the main target..... 

2 hours ago, Dr_Dingleberry said:

Hey Guys,

I have a question for those who are, have, or will be serving in the military. I am currently a Junior in high-school, on track for a good college education. I have two plans that I need some advice on. Both involve joining the Marine Corps, as this is a necessity for me.

-Plan 1) Continue with my education and go to college. While in college I join the ROTC program in order to get into the Marine's OCS (Officer Candidate School) after enlisting, after my college education. 

My criticism of plan 1 is that after meeting with the recruiter in my area, I was given the notion that any Officer position available after OCS is basically just a desk job. While some prefer this, and I understand why, I want to be on my feet, as active as possible, while in the service. (Mostly because all I do now is work-out, work, and play this game--not much excitement). Do any of you guys know if this judgement of Officer-jobs in the Corps is true, if not, what is it like? Also, the recruiter told me (which I understand and agree with) that those that go through OCS and start to command usually aren't assertive enough, and thus don't recieve the respect that a person of their rank should--mostly because they are not too mature, nor do they have the experience of those under him/her.

-Plan 2) Join the Marines right after high-school, then continue with my education after-the-fact. Now this is the more appealing option to myself, but for many I can see why it isn't. 

My criticism of plan 2 is that I may not be as mature after high-school as I could be if I joined after college. That is my only negative opinion on that, if you guys have anymore I'd love to hear them.

This is a big decision, life changing. I'd love to hear some advice from all of you, as most of you have lived longer than I, and thus know more about growing up than I do. If you have served, are serving, or will be serving, thank you. And I hope to stand among you someday, whether it be before or after college.

--Side note, I want to be infantry. Nothing else. I want to serve in the best way possible, and my recruiter and I have talked it over and we have made a plan if I join after high-school. That is:

Join infantry, serve for two years, then apply for the counter-intelligence division or some other advanced MOS. 

Also if you have any tips on how to prepare for boot camp, they are welcome! 

If you're going to go into the marines, do it now. Not later. Think about what u wanna do with your life while you do

I can almost guarantee that you'd go to college for something and maybe after your years in the military you'd find out what you really want to do, and have to go back.

Edited by Poko

Dont get me wrong. Joining the Marine Corps has set me up with an education that afforded me the opportunity to take care of my family and live a good life. It's personal preference. 

The recruiter can make sure you get the job that you sign up for but he cannot tell you for sure if you will be able to transfer jobs with in a set time period. Talk to your recruiter and let him/her know that you will not join unless the conditions are 100% locked in. Make sure your contract reads as you want it to. Ask about the Marine Corps college fund as well. Ask about bonus's. The Marine Corps college fund offers 50k more cash in scholarships for when you do decide to go to school. Make sure you get what you want when you sign up. Don't let the recruiter tell you that he cant do that for you. Push for everything that you want. Some things will have to let up but make sure you go in with that 100% locked in contract.

On 3/19/2016 at 0:04 AM, Goku said:

Thanks for the advice so far guys, it helps a lot. Regarding the 0861 and the 0621, do I still join as per any other recruit? Also, should I specify this as my MOS with my recruiter, or should I just let him know this is what I'm looking to do in the Corps? Thanks!

On 3/20/2016 at 10:10 AM, Dr_Dingleberry said:

Thanks for the advice so far guys, it helps a lot. Regarding the 0861 and the 0621, do I still join as per any other recruit? Also, should I specify this as my MOS with my recruiter, or should I just let him know this is what I'm looking to do in the Corps? Thanks!

if you join as any other recruit you're joining as an open contract which isn't something you want to do. You'll end up getting some dumbass MOS like a cook or something. Just ask him about an 0861 or an 0621 and if he says "well none of that is open" or "there is no room for any more of them right now" Then he is lying because we always need more 0861s and 0621s

Dr_Dingleberry likes this