Quick(ish) Graphics question

chedger112

So i will start out by saying this. I just upgraded my gpu from a potato to a gtx 970 and had around 27-32 frames constant and could fly in a heli with > 1 fps. Now, with my new graphics card i get lower fps, and cannot be in a heli with more than 1 fps. I have cleaned out and installed my drivers, my launch prefs are good, my settings are on high, as were before, and i have no idea what the issue is. I know that arma is a mostly cpu game but going from a graphics card that is as complete SHIT as the one i had before to a 970, there should at least be a 5 frame increase, not a DECREASE! I'll take any any suggestion to fix this. (P.s.   my cpu is the amd fx 8320 and yes, i know amd is shit, ive heard it a million times.)

That's a bit odd. I probably have the shittiest PC out of everyone here, I have an A10 7700k APU with the free Micro ATX motherboard that came with it and I was able to play with a solid 20 fps(on low) with just that. Since I upgraded to an R7 360 I now average around 30fps on Very High settings, just by changing my video card. 

Be sure your power supply is strong enough to run it for one, secondly if you are running windows 10 and you usually find yourself using 100% Disk space/Ram/Memory then you need to follow a guide on YouTube that walks you thru disabling all the background windows 10 crap that you will never use, and surprisingly there is a shit ton running that it totally unneeded. 

Even with the CPU you have, you shouldn't be having those kinds of problems, because even with my horrible CPU I have playable frames. 

13 minutes ago, bcloaded said:

Be sure your power supply is strong enough

This is a good first place to start. Ensure that your power supply is at least 500+W, since the GTX 970 alone needs 145W (without OC).

A common issue that can occur is a bottleneck, but your 8320 shouldn't bottleneck the 970. Go ahead and throw us a reply with all of your system specifications, and maybe we'll be able to find something more concrete to go with.

Also have a look into this optimization guide, it may help. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385577681

1 hour ago, chedger112 said:

yes, i know amd is shit, ive heard it a million times

CPUs, perhaps! But my R9 390 disagrees!

Edited by Creic
Clarification

Sounds like arma is running on your integrated and not your GPU.

I have a 970 and an i5-6600 and got a solid 60 everywhere except Kavala when the server is full. (On Ultra)

Take a look at Nvidias settings and make sure "Dedicated Graphics/GTX 970" is selected as the default.

Also, your CPU definetly isnt helping. Shouldve upgraded that first imo.

Edited by Hiraku
15 hours ago, Creic said:

This is a good first place to start. Ensure that your power supply is at least 500+W, since the GTX 970 alone needs 145W (without OC).

A common issue that can occur is a bottleneck, but your 8320 shouldn't bottleneck the 970. Go ahead and throw us a reply with all of your system specifications, and maybe we'll be able to find something more concrete to go with.

Also have a look into this optimization guide, it may help. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385577681

CPUs, perhaps! But my R9 390 disagrees!

My specs:

Cpu: amd fx 8320

Gpu: msi gtx 970

Psu: 600w somthing

Motherboard: im not sure the model and am not capable of chacking this moment but will soon. It is a generally old model i know and is gigabyte.

Hard drive: WD blue 1 tb

8gb ram

I have tried editing my config file with the max frames ahead or whatever it is to 1 but that didnt seem to do anything.

Edited by chedger112
4 minutes ago, chedger112 said:

My specs:

Cpu: amd fx 8320

Gpu: msi gtx 970

Psu: 600w somthing

Motherboard: im not sure the model and am not capable of chacking this moment but will soon. It is a generally old model i know and is gigabyte.

Hard drive: WD blue 1 tb

I have tried editing my config file with the max frames ahead or whatever it is to 1 but that didnt seem to do anything.

And your physical memory size (RAM)?

Did you remove your previous drivers using DDU? And are your current drivers up to date?

My suggestion is to remove all of your launch prefs, and try to put your Arma 3 back to how it would be after a fresh install. From there, you should check your FPS across multiple servers, start with checking how many frames you achieve in the virtual arsenal [Arma 3 main menu > Learn > Virtual Arsenal]

Edited by Creic
Clarification
32 minutes ago, Creic said:

And your physical memory size (RAM)?

Did you remove your previous drivers using DDU? And are your current drivers up to date?

My suggestion is to remove all of your launch prefs, and try to put your Arma 3 back to how it would be after a fresh install. From there, you should check your FPS across multiple servers, start with checking how many frames you achieve in the virtual arsenal [Arma 3 main menu > Learn > Virtual Arsenal]

My bad for forgetting the ram, i have 8gb ddr3 ram. I did in fact use DDU and yes, my drivers are up to date. I will try reinstalling arma 3 completely then do this method.

Just now, chedger112 said:

My bad for forgetting the ram, i have 8gb ddr3 ram. I did in fact use DDU and yes, my drivers are up to date. I will try reinstalling arma 3 completely then do this method.

Good choice, I believe a clean installation of Arma is the best course of action for now. Good luck with resolving your problem! If you need any help feel free to drop another reply, or send a private message.

13 hours ago, Hiraku said:

Sounds like arma is running on your integrated and not your GPU.

I have a 970 and an i5-6600 and got a solid 60 everywhere except Kavala when the server is full. (On Ultra)

Take a look at Nvidias settings and make sure "Dedicated Graphics/GTX 970" is selected as the default.

Also, your CPU definetly isnt helping. Shouldve upgraded that first imo.

Will do! I know i should have upgraded the cpu :( Im looking at getting the intel i7 4770k but that is quite pricy because i would need to get a new motherboard as well... (I do take donations if you want my paypal :P )

Just now, chedger112 said:

Will do! I know i should have upgraded the cpu :( Im looking at getting the intel i7 4770k but that is quite pricy because i would need to get a new motherboard as well... (I do take donations if you want my paypal :P )

Your CPU will do you for another year, two at most. It does not bottleneck your 970, which is the main thing. Start putting money away each month for the next year, and this time next year you'll be able to get a new CPU and Mobo no problem.

46 minutes ago, chedger112 said:

Status update: Reinstalling still did not work, it is not set to my onboard graphics, it is indeed my gtx 970, and i have no clue what else to try. Any and all suggstions are appreciated besides the ones stated above. This is near unplayable.

Quick check, what's your fps in campaign/editor?

Also, change your power options in the NVIDIA Control Panel to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' instead of using 'Adaptive'

And finally, make sure you're not using more than 3.5Gb of VRAM as the 970 is notorious for choking the card trying to use the last 500MB vram. Although I find it hard to believe, with Arma.

Edited by Abzie