College Apps

Jamal

Ex) convo with my mother about sending me to community college for 2 years to save money

House- "Mom why don't you just let me go to Suffolk community for my AD to save money since I'm going to go for a double major in Psych and Criminal Justice/Homeland Security"

Mom- "Are you a Heroin Addict?"

House- "No..."

Mom - "There's your answer."

House- "But..."

Mom- "ONLY HEROIN ADDICTS GO TO COMMUNITY COLLEGE ON LONG ISLAND, ILL ASK AGAIN ARE YOU A HEROIN ADDICT, WE HAVE THE MONEY DONT WORRY"

House- "No I'm not a heroin addict, I'm gonna go back to my room and play video games"

tl;dr mom thinks community college is for heroin addicts and since I'm not a heroin addict she needs to dish out 30k+ a year, Also she's freezing my accounts in college so I don't pay for it so she can.

4 minutes ago, House. said:

Ex) convo with my mother about sending me to community college for 2 years to save money

House- "Mom why don't you just let me go to Suffolk community for my AD to save money since I'm going to go for a double major in Psych and Criminal Justice/Homeland Security"

Mom- "Are you a Heroin Addict?"

House- "No..."

Mom - "There's your answer."

House- "But..."

Mom- "ONLY HEROIN ADDICTS GO TO COMMUNITY COLLEGE ON LONG ISLAND, ILL ASK AGAIN ARE YOU A HEROIN ADDICT, WE HAVE THE MONEY DONT WORRY"

House- "No I'm not a heroin addict, I'm gonna go back to my room and play video games"

tl;dr mom thinks community college is for heroin addicts and since I'm not a heroin addict she needs to dish out 30k+ a year, Also she's freezing my accounts in college so I don't pay for it so she can.

Lucky xd, I'm going to GVSU

13 hours ago, Tusken Raider said:

UNT is a bunch of tree huggers trying to make every eco friendly.

Indeed. It is extremely liberal.

I was driving through campus the day after election and all the streets were closed, the recreation halls were closed, and the patio area outside the performing arts center was as well. Thankfully, the protesters didn't brave shutting down the highway but some parts of the service road had people standing in it. Same happened in Dallas and Plano; getting around was a shit show. All I could really say was "Don't these people have jobs to go to?" and my father had the entertaining response of "no; that's why they're liberals."

It's probably because UNT is a top music and arts school so a lot of the students are 'free spirits' or freeloaders who still have their heads in the clouds. They'll probably be hit by reality when they graduate and try to get a job with their next-to-worthless arts degree. Sadly, as I mentioned above, my boyfriend has begun pursuing a music degree, but thankfully, he is already working at an internship and has another job to support himself. He's also pursuing a career that has a high growth rate and that many people do not go into- composition for video game soundtracks.

I hate some of the policies this school has. One of them is that freshman have to live on-campus in the dorms and their energy consumption is monitored heavily. For the past three years,the school hasn't had enough room for all the on-campus students, so students who have been signed up for the dorms for 6 months+ have to be pushed off of the list to make room for the growing number of freshman. They've also had to open up the honors-only dorms to make room the past two years. This is one of the reasons I am wary about attending UNT. I am unable to share such a small living place with another person (due to my personal space issues, living habits, and job) and I really don't want to have shitty internet and a mini-fridge. If the honors-only dorms weren't being filled, I would get a room to myself, but it's likely they'll continue to push overflow into it.

Hopefully, within the next two years, they will realize how idiotic this policy is. 

I also consider studying overseas with a state university's abroad program. My degree would be just as valid and I'd get to see the world. I would've preferred the military after high school, but sometimes the world just shits on your plans. That's why I'm signed up for the spring season of college rather than fall. ):

Edited by varex
1 hour ago, varex said:

Indeed. It is extremely liberal.

I was driving through campus the day after election and all the streets were closed, the recreation halls were closed, and the patio area outside the performing arts center was as well. Thankfully, the protesters didn't brave shutting down the highway but some parts of the service road had people standing in it. Same happened in Dallas and Plano; getting around was a shit show. All I could really say was "Don't these people have jobs to go to?" and my father had the entertaining response of "no; that's why they're liberals."

It's probably because UNT is a top music and arts school so a lot of the students are 'free spirits' or freeloaders who still have their heads in the clouds. They'll probably be hit by reality when they graduate and try to get a job with their next-to-worthless arts degree. Sadly, as I mentioned above, my boyfriend has begun pursuing a music degree, but thankfully, he is already working at an internship and has another job to support himself. He's also pursuing a career that has a high growth rate and that many people do not go into- composition for video game soundtracks.

I hate some of the policies this school has. One of them is that freshman have to live on-campus in the dorms and their energy consumption is monitored heavily. For the past three years,the school hasn't had enough room for all the on-campus students, so students who have been signed up for the dorms for 6 months+ have to be pushed off of the list to make room for the growing number of freshman. They've also had to open up the honors-only dorms to make room the past two years. This is one of the reasons I am wary about attending UNT. I am unable to share such a small living place with another person (due to my personal space issues, living habits, and job) and I really don't want to have shitty internet and a mini-fridge. If the honors-only dorms weren't being filled, I would get a room to myself, but it's likely they'll continue to push overflow into it.

Hopefully, within the next two years, they will realize how idiotic this policy is. 

I also consider studying overseas with a state university's abroad program. My degree would be just as valid and I'd get to see the world. I would've preferred the military after high school, but sometimes the world just shits on your plans. That's why I'm signed up for the spring season of college rather than fall. ):

UT Dallas has very nice dorms and campus.

Penn State!

Some wisdom for you: 

1) Go to community college to satisfy GenEd requirements (math english etc) and earn the credits at a small fraction of what it would cost at a regular college.

2) Volunteer and explore things that interest you while at community college. Find what you are passionate about and then pursue it with everything you have.

3) Once you find that passion for what you want to do then start looking at colleges that meet your needs and fit your interests. 

While I think college is extremely overpriced I believe that there is a lot of opportunities it can open up if you plan ahead. The mistake our society makes is almost forcing kids to attend college right out of high school. Long term planning in our brain is not refined until we are in the early 20s. Why get yourself into a bunch of debt and switch majors etc and not be satisfied?

If you are undecided then plan for the next 2-3years with my steps above. At the end of those few years you will have a better sense of what your passion is and also gain valuable life experience. You will be ready to make a choice for your career path and explaining all of this planning is huge bonus points when applying at a company. 

No matter what you do: Always give it all of your effort! I believe that failing when giving 100% effort is better than not committing to your decisions and regretting it down the road.

Good Luck.

mineskill93 and ₴avagє like this
57 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

Penn State!

Some wisdom for you: 

1) Go to community college to satisfy GenEd requirements (math english etc) and earn the credits at a small fraction of what it would cost at a regular college.

2) Volunteer and explore things that interest you while at community college. Find what you are passionate about and then pursue it with everything you have.

3) Once you find that passion for what you want to do then start looking at colleges that meet your needs and fit your interests. 

While I think college is extremely overpriced I believe that there is a lot of opportunities it can open up if you plan ahead. The mistake our society makes is almost forcing kids to attend college right out of high school. Long term planning in our brain is not refined until we are in the early 20s. Why get yourself into a bunch of debt and switch majors etc and not be satisfied?

If you are undecided then plan for the next 2-3years with my steps above. At the end of those few years you will have a better sense of what your passion is and also gain valuable life experience. You will be ready to make a choice for your career path and explaining all of this planning is huge bonus points when applying at a company. 

No matter what you do: Always give it all of your effort! I believe that failing when giving 100% effort is better than not committing to your decisions and regretting it down the road.

Good Luck.

Invaluable lessons here. As a person with 50k in student debt, do your first two years at a community college. Seriously. 

mineskill93 likes this

Currently a senior at IU. I don't have quite the same perspective as some of the other people here, since I haven't graduated yet, but looking back on it, here are my takeaways:

1.) Seriously, community college is the way to go for the first two years, unless you can snag really cheap tuition via scholarships. 

2.) Going into Freshman year, you will probably have no idea what you want to do. All of my friends that had "career plans" prior to college, ended up changing majors eventually.

3.) Develop a plan of classes in advance and plan exactly how you will graduate in time. Freshman year, I made a plan of the types of classes I was going to take every semester for my four years of college to fulfill requirements. It doesn't have to be exact classes, just stuff like "Science Requirement Here, Math Requirement Here".

4.) Find electives that actually interest you - this will help you find a major. 

5.) Try and snag internships every summer of college - or at least some kind of work. It will pay HUGE dividends in finding a job. Also helps you narrow down what you may want to pursue as a major or career. It doesn't have to be an "official internship", it can be a personal project or something productive that you pursue on your own.

6.) Finally, be careful what you end up majoring in. Obviously you should pick stuff that interests you, but beware of the realistic career opportunities that your major will provide you with. For example, unless you want to be a teacher, don't major in something like English or History - at least not alone, you can make it a double major alongside a more job-friendly major. College is an investment. Be mindful of this. 

- Caveat: Don't just chase a major because of the money. The living you can achieve after college is important, but isn't the only important factor. Choose something that genuinely interests you and that you enjoy. I have friends that majored in "Finance, with concentration in Investment Banking" and are miserable in their current entry-level Investment Banking jobs. Those friends chose their majors solely based on the income they would make after college and not because of any interest whatsoever. 

Sneaky likes this

I am attending a community college right now though I'm still in high school. The degree I am pursuing transfers to a four year university. See if you can take your core class at a community college, but make sure they transfer over. Community colleges are much cheaper.

Edited by Maric