New CPU

James Ford

2 hours ago, Volunteer281 said:

Or you could wait 3 weeks for the new i7 7700K instead of buying a CPU that is already a year and a half old.

comparing the 7700K and 6700K shows that on the face of it average effective speed is up by an impressive 16% but looking at the peak overclocked score shows that the peak performance gap between the two processors is marginal. Kaby Lake is reported to have no IPC improvement over Skylake so the only real improvement over Skylake is the addition of native USB 3.1 support.

Sauce: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/3647vs3502

Edited by TheRealLethal
39 minutes ago, TheRealLethal said:

comparing the 7700K and 6700K shows that on the face of it average effective speed is up by an impressive 16% but looking at the peak overclocked score shows that the peak performance gap between the two processors is marginal. Kaby Lake is reported to have no IPC improvement over Skylake so the only real improvement over Skylake is the addition of native USB 3.1 support.

Sauce: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/3647vs3502

Sure that makes sense if you're trying to decide if you should upgrade from a 6700K to a 7700K. But if you're trying to decide between buying one of the two, you should go with the newer, same priced, better performing CPU. 

2 hours ago, Volunteer281 said:

Sure that makes sense if you're trying to decide if you should upgrade from a 6700K to a 7700K. But if you're trying to decide between buying one of the two, you should go with the newer, same priced, better performing CPU. 

7700k comes out, 6700k price will drop shortly after (maybe not new ones right away, but plenty of people will be selling them on ebay right away) IMO not worth getting a marginally better CPU unless you do tons of 3D rendering or video production work. Gaming performance will be negligible. As far as the 6700k being outdated, this is incorrect, it is actually overkill for every single game on the market, and all games coming out within the next year. by all means if you need a CPU upgrade and want to futureproof yourself for 5 years, 7700k is where its at.

2 hours ago, TheRealLethal said:

7700k comes out, 6700k price will drop shortly after (maybe not new ones right away, but plenty of people will be selling them on ebay right away) IMO not worth getting a marginally better CPU unless you do tons of 3D rendering or video production work. Gaming performance will be negligible. As far as the 6700k being outdated, this is incorrect, it is actually overkill for every single game on the market, and all games coming out within the next year. by all means if you need a CPU upgrade and want to futureproof yourself for 5 years, 7700k is where its at.

Not correct by any means, the only real price drops are within the graphics card market and that's due to the vast advancement from cards such as the GTX 760 and Radeon 7770, which retailed at £140 which doesn't make sense for their performance in comparison to newer cards.

CPUs don't drop as harshly due to their lack of noticeable performance increase, even from haswell to skylake, there was no real price drop (~$15 in second hand sales) even with a large difference in architecture and not to mention DDR4.

6700k is by no means overkill, almost all games are bottlenecked by CPU currently.

I'm not sure how the 7700k would futureproof your PC for the next 5 years when you are saying the differences between the two are negligible, surely they'd both do the same job in future proofing in your eyes?

what ever you do get, make sure everything is compatible. 

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233849&cm_re=ddr4-_-20-233-849-_-Product

the ram is a little expensive but i cant stress it enough how crucial good ram is, especially for gamers and definitely arma 3 gamers.

remember that its not about how much ram all the time, its about how fast of ram and this ddr4 3000 ram is perfect. ill pm you some more info 

12 hours ago, LiamS3 said:

Not correct by any means, the only real price drops are within the graphics card market and that's due to the vast advancement from cards such as the GTX 760 and Radeon 7770, which retailed at £140 which doesn't make sense for their performance in comparison to newer cards.

CPUs don't drop as harshly due to their lack of noticeable performance increase, even from haswell to skylake, there was no real price drop (~$15 in second hand sales) even with a large difference in architecture and not to mention DDR4.

6700k is by no means overkill, almost all games are bottlenecked by CPU currently.

I'm not sure how the 7700k would futureproof your PC for the next 5 years when you are saying the differences between the two are negligible, surely they'd both do the same job in future proofing in your eyes?

what games are bottlenecked by a 6700k? as for price drops, i was clearly referring to preowned ones