Reduced Jail time Option

Similarly to how cops are able to reduce tickets, I think they should be able to reduce jail times. Sometimes I've RPed really well as a civ, or when I'm arresting someone they have, but due to them shooting at me or something like that I won't reduce the ticket below 50%. However it is clear that they put a lot of effort into their story, and so you kind of want to let them off easier. Sometimes due to their RP story (medical bills, etc.) they aren't able to pay off the ticket.

Why not allow cops to send people to jail for shorter periods of time? All that would be needed is when we choose 'send to jail' on the scroll menu and the popup shows up, just add (jail time 50%, 75%, 100%), etc. (Not sure what the intervals would be, those are just numbers I'm throwing out there).

I think this would encourage more people to RP out of situations and will help the cop-civ relationship because people know their RP won't go to waste even if they don't/can't pay their ticket, and because due to good behavior and legit reasons they will have to spend less time in jail, they'll probably be nicer to cops in the future.

Edit: Also, don't reduce the payouts that cops get when sending people to jail for shorter durations. Because that way cops will be way less likely to offer reduced jail time, and if you keep payout as it is for sending to jail, then the cops can focus more on the RP, even the most money hungry cops should have no problem with this suggestion.

Edited by CyanogenCX
Bersabee, Outlander, Don and 1 other like this

The problem with reducing jail times is that its not entirely based off just the dollar amount of the ticket. Each charge carries weight.

Example

Anders and I got charged with 6-7 counts of kidnapping (12.5k charge) Resulting in a jail sentence for about 80k dollars. However, we were in jail for 36

Now when I got out and kill 6 people, while it may only be a 30k ticket, I go to jail for 45 because each charge is roughly 8 min.

The only way I could see this feasibly being implemented is with the ability to pardon individual charges. 

1 minute ago, Axe said:

The problem with reducing jail times is that its not entirely based off just the dollar amount of the ticket. Each charge carries weight.

Example

Anders and I got charged with 6-7 counts of kidnapping (12.5k charge) Resulting in a jail sentence for about 80k dollars. However, we were in jail for 36

Now when I got out and kill 6 people, while it may only be a 30k ticket, I go to jail for 45 because each charge is roughly 8 min.

The only way I could see this feasibly being implemented is with the ability to pardon individual charges. 

Right, but the system calculates jail time. So if it calculates 36 minutes of jail time, sending to jail for 50% would send you in there for 18 minutes. I'm not suggesting for your bounty/charges to be reduced, just the amount of time you spend in jail.

3 minutes ago, Wondero said:

This is already a thing, but for the reason of it being abused, currently only Lieutenants and Captains are able to shorten someone's jail time.

What type of abuse? Reducing jail times for friends?

2 minutes ago, CyanogenCX said:

Right, but the system calculates jail time. So if it calculates 36 minutes of jail time, sending to jail for 50% would send you in there for 18 minutes. I'm not suggesting for your bounty/charges to be reduced, just the amount of time you spend in jail.

In all honesty we could solve a lot of problems by just adding the ability to pardon certain charges from criminal records. Not only does it solve your problem (Sort of). It allows people who still end up going to jail for 25k ticket after RPing from 50-60k to spend half their time. 

Just now, Axe said:

In all honesty we could solve a lot of problems by just adding the ability to pardon certain charges from criminal records. Not only does it solve your problem (Sort of). It allows people who still end up going to jail for 25k ticket after RPing from 50-60k to spend half their time. 

Yeah I agree

8 minutes ago, CyanogenCX said:

That but in terms of friends, we can handle that, it's the portion of using officer's discretion in a way that it isn't meant to be. As in what Axe explained with each charge carrying weight. Some officers will end up reducing time for charges which shouldn't be reduced in most cases.

I can understand how this might be abused, so what if it was worked like this:

Officer gives civilian $40,000 ticked. (Civilian has 3 manslaughters so is looking at 45mins in jail)

Option Box for Civ pops up with 5 Options:

Refuse Ticket

Pay %25 - %75 Jail Time

Pay %50 - %50 Jail Time

Pay %75 - %25 Jail Time

Pay %100 - Free to go

Then if they pay 25-75% it will send them directly to jail.

(The 5 option box would only show up if in a send to jail range)

Edited by Quenton
DreamC and OrcaNinja like this

2 minutes ago, Quenton said:

Officer gives civilian $40,000 ticked. (Civilian has 3 manslaughters so is looking at 45mins in jail)

Refuse Ticket

Pay %25 - %75 Jail Time

Pay %50 - %50 Jail Time

Pay %75 - %25 Jail Time

Pay %100 - Free to go

+1 or just ability to pardon individual charges available to corporal +

Quenton likes this
1 hour ago, Quenton said:

Refuse Ticket

Pay %25 - %75 Jail Time

Pay %50 - %50 Jail Time

Pay %75 - %25 Jail Time

Pay %100 - Free to go

I don't get why you should be forced to pay any money to have reduced jail sentence.

Also @Wondero we allow officers to give reduced tickets, pardons, ect, surely they can be trained/allowed to give reduced jail times?

2 hours ago, Wondero said:

That but in terms of friends, we can handle that, it's the portion of using officer's discretion in a way that it isn't meant to be. As in what Axe explained with each charge carrying weight. Some officers will end up reducing time for charges which shouldn't be reduced in most cases.

So if we worry about this why don't we just prohibit officers issuing tickets. It is not hard to give someone a $1 for prison break :P

+1 would love to have this, especially to not screw over good roleplayers who may not have the funds to pay for a ticket.

CyanogenCX likes this
9 minutes ago, Quenton said:

There is no "training" in the APD. Just rules and consequence for breaking those rules. Reduced jail time would be abused.

If reduced tickets aren't abused, why would reduced jail time be abused? And if you are going to say reduced tickets are abused why are they allowed?

By training I meant tell the officers to make fair decisions etc. add something in the guidebook about it, that sort of stuff.

Jewinator likes this
Just now, CyanogenCX said:

If reduced tickets aren't abused, why would reduced jail time be abused? And if you are going to say reduced tickets are abused why are they allowed?

By training I meant tell the officers to make fair decisions etc. add something in the guidebook about it, that sort of stuff.

Technically speaking you aren't allowed to reduce someone's ticked by more than %50 without a SGT + consent from what I recall..

And if they allow officers to reduce peoples jail time then they would have to put some sort of restriction like they did with parole. (Non evasive / aggressive)

Its not about reduced jail times being the issue. It really boils down to the fact that the person must be pardoned and recharged.  This has been aids in the past, and I dont see that changing anytime soon. Which is why it is limited to LTs+.  As far as I know there is no single charge that adds the same amount of time as a manslaughter, so in order for us to balance the time of those the bounty would end up either being more, or you get overall less time in jail then intended.  Of course, that all changes if individual charges can be pardoned.

14 minutes ago, HotWings said:

Its not about reduced jail times being the issue. It really boils down to the fact that the person must be pardoned and recharged.  This has been aids in the past, and I dont see that changing anytime soon. Which is why it is limited to LTs+.  As far as I know there is no single charge that adds the same amount of time as a manslaughter, so in order for us to balance the time of those the bounty would end up either being more, or you get overall less time in jail then intended.  Of course, that all changes if individual charges can be pardoned.

Well again, the system calculates the jail time you get depending on your charges. With the reduced jail time option, just cut the time of each charge by the same percent that the jail time is reduced.

If it is reduced by 25%, reduce the duration of each charge by 25% (pretty much reducing the whole jail time by 25%).

So there doesn't need to be any manipulation with individual charges, just the overall time. You could have 5 tiers: 20%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 80% reduced jail times.

This would allow enough leeway between the severity of the charges and the quality of the rp being taken into consideration.

11 minutes ago, CyanogenCX said:

Well again, the system calculates the jail time you get depending on your charges. With the reduced jail time option, just cut the time of each charge by the same percent that the jail time is reduced.

If it is reduced by 25%, reduce the duration of each charge by 25% (pretty much reducing the whole jail time by 25%).

So there doesn't need to be any manipulation with individual charges, just the overall time. You could have 5 tiers: 20%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 80% reduced jail times.

This would allow enough leeway between the severity of the charges and the quality of the rp being taken into consideration.

Correct, that would require a scripting change. Which I am all for, i was just addressing why it is the way it is ATM as well. :)  I like the idea of being able to reduce the time based off of certain things. Especially for people who do spend a long time RPing. They deserve to have their interrogation time chopped of their sentence IMO.

CyanogenCX likes this