Don't Stay in School

Pugsley

I believe that there are plenty of opportunities to learn outside of a classroom setting. Pursue subjects and activities that will help give you depth as an individual. Rather than leaving school as this video suggests, maybe volunteer in your spare time. A classroom education wont teach you every single thing you need to know, although they could do a lot better. Stay in school, use your free time to pursue activities like volunteer work!

i agree with him school has taught us almost nothing useful. i have a theory though, most schools are funded by the government so the government decides what is taught, now if we start teaching people laws and stuff about politics the government loses alot of its power so they keep the people stupid while they do whatever the hell  they want.

IndianapolisJones likes this

The meaning of the song isn't that kids shouldn't stay in school, it's that the alleged useless subjects he mentions in the song shouldn't stay in school. He makes the point that so many kids leave the school system with no knowledge of how to manage their lives, but have knowledge of abstract mathematical concepts that many (unless going into science or engineering) will never use again. So think more before you assume something from a song.

Edited by aviondark
Kalier likes this

I agree that school should teach the type of things he said in the video (how to pay taxes, politics, etc). But "forcing" kids to learn math and science is a measure to prevent under-education. Ask 10 15 year olds if they rather stay in school or drop it. I can guarantee that at least 6  are going to quit school. Most of them are naive and don't think about their future. As technology advances, the world needs more scientists and engineers. Having myself as an example: 3 years ago all I wanted to do was quit school and get a job (be independent, be able to pay for a decent computer, etc). Thankfully, I decided to keep studying, and now I'm in college (software engineering). I'm happy at what I do and even though the employment rate in my country is super low, I have a 90% chance of getting a good and stable job 5 years from now, when I graduate.

The point i'm trying to make is that the guy in the video is partially right and wrong. I agree that there are things that we should be taught at school, but dropping it is not a solution. Wait until you're at least an adult, and then make decisions about whether you should continue studying or get a job.