F U C K T H A T S H I T

Juliana isn't that bad as people make it to be - but pilots absolutely love that airport.

One of the more difficult airports with daily commercial traffic in the United States to land at (if not the most difficult) is Aspen County in Colorado. It's surrounded by peaks as high as 14,000 ft, and the airport elevation is ~ 7700 ft, making that a huge drop in elevation. In addition to all the terrain, the airport does not have any precision approaches. There is no ILS system installed to guide the aircraft down the approach path. It's either a localizer, DME, or RNAV approach, and if you put bad weather into the mix, it could turn into the most chaotic moment of a pilot's career, which is why you need special training to land at that airport. 

Mike Stmria, Scott and Heidelberg like this
3 hours ago, Wondero said:

Juliana isn't that bad as people make it to be - but pilots absolutely love that airport.

One of the more difficult airports with daily commercial traffic in the United States to land at (if not the most difficult) is Aspen County in Colorado. It's surrounded by peaks as high as 14,000 ft, and the airport elevation is ~ 7700 ft, making that a huge drop in elevation. In addition to all the terrain, the airport does not have any precision approaches. There is no ILS system installed to guide the aircraft down the approach path. It's either a localizer, DME, or RNAV approach, and if you put bad weather into the mix, it could turn into the most chaotic moment of a pilot's career, which is why you need special training to land at that airport. 

ye ye so clear i use the DME combined with the RNAV approach myself with a little of localizer at the end